Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Road rage, or: why is FOX News so lazy?

Old 04-22-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Road rage, or: why is FOX News so lazy?

From FOX News today: (A story most of us might remember)

Driver Burns to Death After Lighting Her Car on Fire in Road Rage Incident
Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Print ShareThisIt was the ultimate expression of road rage. A furious woman driver in England died after ramming another vehicle and spinning her wheels so fast that her own car burst into flames.

Serena Sutton-Smith, 54, burned to death after refusing to get out of her Vauxhall Nova as she sat with her foot flat on the accelerator. She spun the wheels so fast that her tires disintegrated and the metal rims sent a shower of sparks into the engine, igniting the brake fluid and setting the car on fire.

Appalled onlookers urged her to get out of the car as the flames licked around her but she told them to F*** off, an inquest in Gloucester was told.

The road-rage attack took place on a quiet country road in the Cotswolds between Weston sub Edge and Mickleton in Gloucestershire. The inquest heard that Paula Small was driving her Fiat Punto when Sutton-Smith emerged from a side road without stopping, causing her to swerve to avoid a collision. Small was forced off the road and she flashed her lights as Sutton-Smith passed her.

Sutton-Smith then pulled over and Small stopped a short way in front of her. She was getting out when the Vauxhall Nova rammed her car.

Small said: I opened my door and put my foot out but as I was getting out there was a bang and I hit my head on the door frame. I was frozen with terror.

As neighbors came to investigate they saw Sutton-Smith sitting with a furious expression, revving her engine and spinning her wheels.

Alan Crickmore, the Gloucestershire coroner, said that her mental condition meant that she failed to appreciate the danger she was in.

He said At no time, prior to becoming incapacitated, was Serena trapped in her vehicle. She was certainly able to get out of it.

I am driven to the conclusion that if at any time she had wanted to do so before becoming incapacitated she could have got out of the car and would not have died as a result of the fire.

I am satisfied the fire was started because of her deliberate actions. But I am far from satisfied that at that point in time it was her clear intention that death would ensue.

I think it is more likely than not that she failed to understand the peril she was in and the consequences of her actions. He recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Click here to read more on this story from the Times of London.

When you click the Times of London link it leads to the correct article... from Sept. 22, 2008. I know that it can be tough for news sites to find information to fill their respective pages with each and every day, but FOX is the king of reporting on useless shit. Have they really gotten even lazier? Or is this a common occurence?
Old 04-22-09, 10:23 AM
Suspended

Re: Road rage, or: why is FOX News so lazy?

Yeah, I see your point. Fox News is definitely being lazy. It didn't even report whether State Farm was on her side.
Old 04-22-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They're just trying to compete with Digg.
Old 04-22-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

So, just to make sure I understand, the point of this thread is to point to the world that the devils over at FoxNews linked a story as new that was old. Great thread idea!

Can we just have a "I hate FoxNews so I'll spend all my energy looking for any mistakes they make and post them here!" thread?
Old 04-22-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They were too busy trying to think of a way they could blame it on Obama to check the date.
Old 04-22-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I've always wondered why people so vociferously critique a particular crappy news sight, when by doing so they demonstrate they go there often. In the same vein, at my last job I had a cow-orker who came in every day ranting and raving about what some dude on TV said. I would ask her why she even watches his show and she would just glare at me.
Old 04-22-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember that thread, I think I started it.
Old 04-22-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dieinafire View Post
I remember that thread, I think I started it.
Given the topic, that would make the most sense.
Old 04-22-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
From FOX News today: (A story most of us might remember)...When you click the Times of London link it leads to the correct article... from Sept. 22, 2008.
Welcome to the internet. Unintended things like this happen sometimes, and there is no need to let it bother you.
Old 04-22-09, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
I've always wondered why people so vociferously critique a particular crappy news sight, when by doing so they demonstrate they go there often. In the same vein, at my last job I had a cow-orker who came in every day ranting and raving about what some dude on TV said. I would ask her why she even watches his show and she would just glare at me.
To be fair, orking cows every day would be enough to unhinge anyone.
Old 04-22-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
In the same vein, at my last job I had a cow-orker who came in every day ranting and raving about what some dude on TV said. I would ask her why she even watches his show and she would just glare at me.
Isn't that how Howard Stern had such high ratings when he first started? All the people who hated him tuned in every day?
Old 04-22-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CNN has a whole separate channel dedicated to useless news stories: Headline News.
Old 04-22-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Originally Posted by imperator505 View Post
To be fair, orking cows every day would be enough to unhinge anyone.
Sorry, I used to be a Dilbert fan (and member of the DNRC).
Old 04-22-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Isn't that how Howard Stern had such high ratings when he first started? All the people who hated him tuned in every day?
yeah it was like the folks who listened the most where just listening so they could come up with something to alert the FCC...but they were still listening.

So yeah all you FONXNEWS haters...keep clicking and posting links to them.

1. Hate Fox News
2. Visit their site frequently to find shit
3. Post links every time they do something you hate or find even remotely "offensive" or stupid (which in your case will be often)
4. Send more traffic their way (See 3)
5. Put more ad revenue in Fox News' bank account(s)
6. Help make FOX NEWS bigger with your hatred by becoming a slave like Cog in the Massive Right Wing Machinery

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-22-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many have tried to kill the monster that is Fox News... now they all have it has their start page...
Old 04-22-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Welcome to the internet. Unintended things like this happen sometimes, and there is no need to let it bother you.
It doesn't really bother me. It was more of an observation. I might not like Fox News, but I go to the site specifically for all of the weird shit they report on. I just thought this was especially lazy of them considering the original date of the story and their passing it off as new.

Besides, I can't spent all day reading about Kermit humping a stuffed animal or sodas for black people.

Edit: Oh, so it was SOFAS for black people, not SODAS. Makes sense. We all know what the soda would have been...

Last edited by islandclaws; 04-22-09 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post

Besides, I can't spent all day reading about Kermit humping a stuffed animal or sodas for black people.
Animal hater and racist.
Old 04-22-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
So, just to make sure I understand, the point of this thread is to point to the world that the devils over at FoxNews linked a story as new that was old. Great thread idea!

Can we just have a "I hate FoxNews so I'll spend all my energy looking for any mistakes they make and post them here!" thread?
I started a Wiki with that same title!
Old 04-23-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gotta agree with the general here.

Fox News, love it or leave it. I love it (with some exceptions).