Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Old 04-20-09, 12:29 PM
  #1  
2017 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

I woke up with a serious matter on my mind this morning. This is big.

Ok every superhero with special powers is bulletproof it seems. Lets take Superman for example. Bullets just bounce off. But what if you shoot him in the eye? If a normal person gets a fleck of dirt in the eye we yell time out and stop what we're doing to treat it. If you shoot a piece of steel weighing more than his eyeball into supermans eye at 2000fps wouldnt it feel WORSE than a speck of wood in a normal persons eye? This could be considered a vounerability. heck shotgun blasts to the face would be deflected down the bridge of his nose and right into the corners of his eye--black soot and steel shot. Tell me he wouldnt even feel that? He'd have to fly off and put some ice in there to rinse out flecks of metal and ash. I wouldnt want to be bulletproof at the expense of better powers.
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:30 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
I woke up with a serious matter on my mind this morning. This is big.

Ok every superhero with special powers is bulletproof it seems. Lets take Superman for example. Bullets just bounce off. But what if you shoot him in the eye? If a normal person gets a fleck of dirt in the eye we yell time out and stop what we're doing to treat it. If you shoot a piece of steel weighing more than his eyeball into supermans eye at 2000fps wouldnt it feel WORSE than a speck of wood in a normal persons eye? This could be considered a vounerability. heck shotgun blasts to the face would be deflected down the bridge of his nose and right into the corners of his eye--black soot and steel shot. Tell me he wouldnt even feel that? He'd have to fly off and put some ice in there to rinse out flecks of metal and ash. I wouldnt want to be bulletproof at the expense of better powers.
Did you see Superman Returns? This was addressed.
Seantn is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:31 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

I think Buttmunker is hacking into people's accounts.
The Bus is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:32 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,244
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:33 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,284
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Nerd alert. Superman actually has a tiny force field around him, so technically things dont even touch him.

"In addition, the idea that of a supercharged bioelectric "aura" which acts as an invisible "force field" around and within his body was introduced to provide an explanation for his invulnerability"
stingermck is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:34 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,409
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

The Infidel is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:35 PM
  #7  
2017 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

FORCE FIELD!? WTF?!

Of course I didnt watch Superman Returns.

But EVERY superhero (who has powers) is bulletproof! Is it always a forcefield?
thats so lame.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 04-20-09 at 12:38 PM.
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:37 PM
  #8  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,001
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

What if the bullet is made out of admantium?
Bandoman is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:39 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 4,769
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Ignore the silly sound effects.

Palaver is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:39 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,284
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
What if the bullet is made out of admantium?
Then is still bounces off of Superman, despite traveling from the Marvel Offices to DC's.
stingermck is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:40 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,409
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

What if the bullet is made from a piece of Superman's own flesh?
The Infidel is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:44 PM
  #12  
2017 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Nothing gets through the forcefield? How does he bathe?!

Theres always a way for something to get into his eyes
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:45 PM
  #13  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,001
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

What if the bullet slows down enough to penetrate the shield? Or what if hte bad guy uses a lasgun which interacts with the sheild to cause a small atomic explosion?
Bandoman is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:48 PM
  #14  
2017 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

If he can wash his skin with soap and water he can get soap in his eye. plain and simple.

There are hundreds of superheros that you cant just kill with a gun. They cant all have forcefields.
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:54 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,772
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Well when I run into a real superhero I'll test out your theories. For the time being I'll just remember that it's a comic book and logic doesn't need to apply.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:55 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,244
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
thats so lame.
As opposed to fictional literature characters, or for the layperson, made up guys with made up stuff.
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:55 PM
  #17  
2017 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

maybe we could set up an anonymous poll?
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:57 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,244
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
maybe we could set up an anonymous poll?
Or at least one without a forcefield
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 12:57 PM
  #19  
2017 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
As opposed to fictional literature characters, or for the layperson, made up guys with made up stuff.
Im sorry but my world is a little shattered here. I thought I had the whole concept of bulletproof superheroes laid to rest. Now it seems, it wont hold up to simple scrutiny.
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 01:21 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,961
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

I remember in an early issue of Savage Dragon he got shot in the eye. He said "ARRGHH!" and it broke his sun glasses.

But he also has a healing factor, so even if it did blind him he would heal.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 01:26 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 17,189
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
I woke up with a serious matter on my mind this morning.
Go back to sleep.
Cardsfan111 is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 01:34 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,818
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Nerd alert. Superman actually has a tiny force field around him, so technically things dont even touch him.

"In addition, the idea that of a supercharged bioelectric "aura" which acts as an invisible "force field" around and within his body was introduced to provide an explanation for his invulnerability"
So does Superman's suit go under or over the "forcefield"? In Superman Returns, we see him get shot with a machine gun and the bullets get deflected off his suit with no damage, yet a little while later we see him
Spoiler:
Get stabbed by Kryptonite with it going straight through his suit. Now, I get that Supes himself is vulnerable to kryptonite but how is his suit vulnerable? Or I guess a better question would be: Why isn't his suit vulnerable to tears when being riddled with bullets?

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 04-20-09 at 01:36 PM.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 01:36 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: closer than you'd like
Posts: 1,672
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
Is it always a forcefield?
Ask your sister's boyfriend.

(Geek test!)
Cheato is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 01:37 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,798
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

I always thought Superman just blinked super-fast, so nothing ever got in his eyes.
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 04-20-09, 01:37 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: Bulletproof?? Even the EYES?

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
So does Superman's suit go under or over the "forcefield"? In Superman Returns, we see him get shot with a machine gun and the bullets get deflected off his suit with no damage, yet a little while later we see him
Spoiler:
Get stabbed by Kryptonite with it going straight through his suit. Now, I get that Supes himself is vulnerable to kryptonite but how is his suit vulnerable? Or I guess a better question would be: Why isn't his suit vulnerable to tears when being riddled with bullets?
The kryptonite is the only material with the type of radiation that negates the energy of the force field.
Dr Mabuse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.