Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you started to feel the effect of prices on everything going up?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-18-09, 09:47 PM

Got a letter in the mail from my employer, whom I'm currently layed off from, saying that health insurance premiums will be going up as well as prescription drug costs. Well, that about does it, every monthly bill I have besides my car loan has went up within the past 6 months. Utilities, insurance, phone/internet, cable, all of it. I can't even pay my light bill online anymore without a $1.50 "convenience charge" so I just write them a check now and put it in an envelope that they have to pay someone to open and process. I'm really starting to watch what I buy. Who else is in this boat?
Old 04-18-09, 09:49 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Have you started to feel the effect of prices on everything going up?

The consumer price index just went down for the first annual drop since 1955.
Old 04-18-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't noticed anything going up. My auto insurance is the same. Would've been nice if it went down. I work with health insurance for various clients and haven't seen a trend of prices going up.

I think you may just be in a run of bad luck. Congrats on post #500!
Old 04-18-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly all I have noticed is my smokes going up in price, but I have been cutting back regardless (trying to quit) so I'm actually saving money now!
Old 04-18-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
The consumer price index just went down for the first annual drop since 1955.
the 12mo cpi went down overall, but the drops were only in transportation and energy, both of which dropped a lot. everything else went up.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

personally speaking, i've noticed food has gone up a lot in some areas, not so much in others. i've been noticing a lot more sales at stores for general merchandise, at least from what I can see on SD. even though the transportation dropped 13% in the last year, my transportation costs have gone up, and will go up again in july or so.
Old 04-18-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I haven't noticed anything going up. My auto insurance is the same. Would've been nice if it went down. I work with health insurance for various clients and haven't seen a trend of prices going up.

I think you may just be in a run of bad luck. Congrats on post #500!
maybe the employers are passing on a larger share of the cost to the employees?
Old 04-19-09, 12:34 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

groceries have def. been on the rise. milk and milk products, especially the Lactaid stuffs, cans of soda, candy, etc.
Old 04-19-09, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The crap skyrocketed in price when the gas shot to four bucks a gallon. Some BS about how the truck drivers had to spend more in gas (not really BS, it was true, but still...) However, once gas shot back down, the prices on a lot of stuff stayed the same.

It's just little dollar amounts here and there, and it all adds up over time. I made less 9 years ago than I do today, but it seemed I had far more money to spend on things like DVDs and music and books and general crap than I do today. Now it's like if I buy just a handful of DVDs, I have to worry if I have enough money for rent and utilities. While I make more, the dollar certainly doesn't go quite as far as it used to.
Old 04-19-09, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Haven't really noticed a big change either. Maybe cereal costs a bit more?
Old 04-19-09, 04:36 AM
Premium Member

Haven't noticed anything really different over the last several years

I did go to Lowes today to get some grass seed and the general big bags were $50+, I didn't remember seed being that much.
Old 04-19-09, 04:39 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
groceries have def. been on the rise. milk and milk products, especially the Lactaid stuffs, cans of soda, candy, etc.
How so?
Old 04-19-09, 05:08 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ It seems to me that food prices in general, including beef and milk, have held steady or dropped. Cows are doing their job.

To the OP, sorry that you lost your job. I think that magnifies the effect of any price increase. But for the 90% still employed, it's a good time to have money, since the cost of most dircretionary goods and services, like travel and restaurant food, is lower. Of course, few have the job security they use to have.
Old 04-19-09, 12:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
^ It seems to me that food prices in general, including beef and milk, have held steady or dropped. Cows are doing their job.
i don't think that is accurate. i am sure there are studies done recently that show groceries going up. a half gallon of Lactaid milk is $4.29, used to be $2.99. the 96oz used to go on sale all the time for $3.99-4.99, now around $6.00. Target and other regular grocery stores used to have sales every other week alternating between the brands, Pepsi or Coke 12 pack cans 4 for $10 w/out having to buy 4. they haven't had that sale in over 6 months, maybe more.
Old 04-19-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

olive prices are going up. wife bitched about that today at the grocery store.
Old 04-19-09, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

i don't think that is accurate. i am sure there are studies done recently that show groceries going up. a half gallon of Lactaid milk is $4.29, used to be $2.99. the 96oz used to go on sale all the time for $3.99-4.99, now around $6.00. Target and other regular grocery stores used to have sales every other week alternating between the brands, Pepsi or Coke 12 pack cans 4 for $10 w/out having to buy 4. they haven't had that sale in over 6 months, maybe more.
Nothing like that here. Pretty much same as it ever was.

I do not consider Target as a grocery store, however, they are overpriced on everything.
Old 04-19-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chicken Of The Sea brand Tuna just REDUCED their packaging. Normally a 6oz can is now 5oz, and then my Kroger store (Fred Meyer) grocer puts it on sale like I'm getting a deal. Fuckheads.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-19-09 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
Prices have remained the same in many areas, but like my previous post, food manufacturers are reducing their packaging, and leaving the prices the same. So, you still end up buying more because your normal consumption is the same, and thus, you are paying more.

Cows may be doing their job being slaughtered, but cheese is outrageously expensive. At least here in the NW. Milk is about the same price as always, but I don't buy it that much to really notice an increase.
Old 04-19-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Target and other regular grocery stores used to have sales every other week alternating between the brands, Pepsi or Coke 12 pack cans 4 for $10 w/out having to buy 4. they haven't had that sale in over 6 months, maybe more.
typically we hold off on buying sodas till we find 4 for 10.. i refuse to pay more than 3$ a 12 pack..
we dont normally have alot of trouble finding those prices between either walmart or target

the latest target deal (a week or so ago) was 5 12 packs for 15$, and you receive a 5$ target card... we shop at target enough, that the card is as good as cash.. so we stocked up at what is basically 5 for 10.

any item that seems higher priced.. i just get at sams club
Old 04-19-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely in the grocrey store. I shop partly at Aldi or Save-A-Lot and partly at a neighborhood Thriftway store, but I'm buying less and less at Thriftway unless it's on sale. I buy frozen chicken breasts and those have gone up quite a bit. I am already cooking as cheaply as I know how, and I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

And yeah, I know -- I don't look like I'm gonna starve anytime soon.

My employer may begin cutting our workweek back to 32 hours. I hope not.

Also, I've cut the minutes on my cell phone plan because it's the only place in my budget that has anything left to cut. I make $2800 per month but bring home only half of that between taxes, retirement savings, emergency savings, and the benefits I have to co-pay on. Meanwhile, my asshole brother in Michigan who's sucking off the government teat because his wife is on disability brings home $2000 per month tax free.

Last edited by Vibiana; 04-19-09 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't noticed much of a change. Most of my bills are what they always have been, and groceries don't seem to have gone up much. A lot of other products, especially home goods, seem to have gone down. Clothes seem to be cheaper, as well. I can't recall finding jeans for $10 before.
Old 04-19-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Definitely in the grocrey store. I shop partly at Aldi or Save-A-Lot and partly at a neighborhood Thriftway store, but I'm buying less and less at Thriftway unless it's on sale. I buy frozen chicken breasts and those have gone up quite a bit. I am already cooking as cheaply as I know how, and I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Why not just buy a roasting chicken? You can probably get one for 89 cents per pound, maybe cheaper. Much more economical than buying parts.
Old 04-19-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't want a whole chicken, wait until unfrozen chicken breasts are going for $1.45 a pound, and freeze them yourself.
Old 04-19-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i've noticed that a lot of items are either getting smaller in size, with the same price, or they'll say "25% more" but then the price is more than 25% higher. some items are getting smaller while the price is going up as well...

ice cream used to be 2qt, now it's 1.5 or 1.75qt, but this happened a while ago. there's also the pringle's thread.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...n-related.html

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 04-19-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Tracer Bullet , I have to disagree. Buying the whole chicken is, IMO, a waste of money. Unless you cook the entire thing for a broth or something--which most of us probably don't because we just want the meat--it'll cost you more overall. Either buy the thighs, drumsticks, and breasts separately for whatever your meal requires. As for buying a roaster chicken, you're paying for the all the added parts you don't eat. Not that I don't buy a Roaster here and there, but everytime I do, I always notice how much of it is thrown away. The underside of the chicken is extremely gross and fatty, and I prefer cooking my thighs separately.

On a side note, gotta love the "$6.49/lb Organic Grown" Chicken at the local grocery store.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-19-09 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed it much more a year or two ago, things seem to have stabilized a little in the last 12 months IMO. I am sure you can find my posts in old threads complaining about the price of things going up

There for a little while (again 2 years ago), it seemed like the price jumps would never stop.

The only things I noticed recently was a "Family Size" bag of ruffles potato chips are still $3.99 and the bag is half the size it use to be at $3.49. I don't buy potato chips that often, so the price hike bag shrink seems major since I bought them 6 months ago Then I noticed the Bryers Ice cream containers really shrunk compared to some of the other brands, good thing I don't really like Bryers

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.