Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

21st Century Auto Insurance -- Any bad experiences?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-18-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

21st Century Insurance quoted me a rate $200 lower than what I'm currently paying at Geico. Until now, Geico has always been the lowest for me.

Does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad? They were acquired by AIG some years ago and until very recently had been branded AIG Direct.
Old 04-18-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 21st Century Auto Insurance -- Any bad experiences?

Old 04-18-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dont know how they treat their insured, but I had an accident on March 11th and the guy that hit me was in a car(not his car, his cousins) that is insured by 21st Century and they just contacted me last week, a month later, so fuck them if they can't take a joke when I resopond to them next month.
Old 04-18-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movie diva View Post
I dont know how they treat their insured, but I had an accident on March 11th and the guy that hit me was in a car(not his car, his cousins) that is insured by 21st Century and they just contacted me last week, a month later, so fuck them if they can't take a joke when I resopond to them next month.
It's things like this that make me feel like a damn fool for paying the extra money to a respectable company for insurance.
Old 04-18-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movie diva View Post
you want them to hurry up to pay you?
Old 04-18-09, 09:15 PM

They are not going to pay me, AAA already took care of me, they will pay AAA, I am just pointing out that they have terrible customer service, so you get what you pay for. I am not going to sue because I was not hurt.
Old 04-18-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk God

isn't this the part of AIG that got sold to some overseas insurance company recently?
Old 04-19-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

21st Century was part of AIG. Farmers Insurance has agree to buy 21st Century. Farmers is part of Zurich Financial, if anyone cares. Adding 21st Century will make Farmers on of the largest auto insurance companies in the country.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6556066.story

I say this every time some posts a thread like this, this is an excellent time to shop for auto insurance. Many companies have changed how they come up with premiums. And traditional companies who use to have only 2 or 3 different rates now have dozens. Not to mention some offer somewhat unique "custom" policy/premiums. I addition since Auto insurance is generally profitable, it is a very competitive market. Many players, low prices.

My only "warning" is to compare apples to apples. It is easy to change one single small item and have a significant factor in the rate. You may decide you no longer need that super high liability amount you have had, but be sure and ask you current company what it would do if you lowered it with them. They may be the best price of all!

Lastly, there may be some benefit to staying with your current company. They are more likely to forgive an accident or two. They may provide a discount if you buy other insurance from them (home or renters), they may be financial stronger. What that is all worth to you is up to you.
Old 04-19-09, 09:04 AM

I had AIG auto insurance, never had a claim, then Dec 2008, they raised my premium by 15%. I guess they feel they didn't get enough $ from the bailout. I have since switched to Allstate, and have much better coverage levels for the same price.

Like someone else said, shop around.
Old 04-19-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I used to have 21st Century and dropped them.

I got in an accident that was written up as the investigating officer not to be my fault and nobody got hurt. 21st did their own investigation and determined it was my fault and they paid the other party for bodily injury even though they said they were just fine. In response to this I got a note that, even though I'd gone 12 years without an accident or even a speeding ticket, they were upping my rates significantly. I asked to talk to the person who investigated this so I could get to the bottom of it but I was told they were "on vacation". 2 weeks later they "no longer worked there" and I could ONLY talk to the person who investigated my case so, basically, I just had to take the results - pay the extra money - and be happy. I dropped them right away. Now I have State Farm for less money and I have more confidence in them.
Old 04-19-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Among other fields, I practice injury law, and I would say State Farm is among the worst in terms of screwing people over, third parties as well as their own insureds.
Old 04-19-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I used to have 21st Century and dropped them.

I got in an accident that was written up as the investigating officer not to be my fault and nobody got hurt. 21st did their own investigation and determined it was my fault and they paid the other party for bodily injury even though they said they were just fine. In response to this I got a note that, even though I'd gone 12 years without an accident or even a speeding ticket, they were upping my rates significantly. I asked to talk to the person who investigated this so I could get to the bottom of it but I was told they were "on vacation". 2 weeks later they "no longer worked there" and I could ONLY talk to the person who investigated my case so, basically, I just had to take the results - pay the extra money - and be happy. I dropped them right away. Now I have State Farm for less money and I have more confidence in them.
Now that's messed up.
Old 04-19-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you have Erie Insurance in your area, have them give you a quote. I have had nothing but good experience with them and they have always been the cheapest when I checked around by a good chunk.
Old 04-19-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cgray View Post
Among other fields, I practice injury law, and I would say State Farm is among the worst in terms of screwing people over, third parties as well as their own insureds.
Well I suppose an injury law person might think that. A different perspective is that State Farm has the resources and knowledge to fight claims that have little or no merit.
Old 04-19-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well I suppose an injury law person might think that. A different perspective is that State Farm has the resources and knowledge to fight claims that have little or no merit.
They don't pay any claims, even those with merit, and even those filed through UIM/UM policies after 3rd party has paid limits. I can direct you to more detailed information, if you like (regarding Colossus and their 3D's policy)...

I understand insurance is run as a business and for profit. Nevertheless, when you sign up for your insurance, are you going to go with the company that traditionally pays the least because you think, "Everyone else's claim must have had no merit. I bet when I get into an accident, they'll treat me real nice", or would you rather go with somebody who pays the occasional "exaggerated" claim?
Old 04-19-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They don't pay any claims, even those with merit, and even those filed through UIM/UM policies after 3rd party has paid limits. I can direct you to more detailed information, if you like (regarding Colossus and their 3D's policy)...

I understand insurance is run as a business and for profit. Nevertheless, when you sign up for your insurance, are you going to go with the company that traditionally pays the least because you think, "Everyone else's claim must have had no merit. I bet when I get into an accident, they'll treat me real nice", or would you rather go with somebody who pays the occasional "exaggerated" claim?
Ok...I accept your argument. Everyone will go to a company who has excellent customer service and pays their claims timely. Your are 100% right. I mean who would go to a company that "never paid claims"? Even those with "merit"? And even if by chance they went to a company and they had terrible experience they would leave. You are 100% correct.

Oh...btw; Who is the largest auto insurance company in the county? Who has the highest retention of any insurance company in the business? Who has the highest ranking by any large insurance company for customer service by J.D. Power? Who historically in most every state has the lowest complaint ratio (complaints per policyholder) then any insurance company? And finally who is the most financially sound insurance company in the country (something that should not be taken lightly right now)?
Old 04-19-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't mean to offend anybody. Just take it for what it's worth. People can make their decision for themselves.

edit: I think the most interesting statistic would be approval/satisfaction by people who had to make use of their policies, categorized by BI, UIM, property, etc.; as far as I know, those numbers don't exist.

If people are buying insurance to protect themselves and other people, claims for serious injury are never quick (at least in my state, or unless they are clearly more than policy limits). When I purchase insurance, I am not making my decisions on who will call me back the fastest (though I realize this is worth something to many people). I am not making decisions on who will pay the claim within a month (again, a quick payment is important to some people). I am making decisions based on who is likely to pay a claim fairly...eventually, as governed by state statue of limitations. Again, in my experience (and it isn't difficult to track/compare with other attorneys), some companies are much better at this than others.

Sdallnct, I think it only fair that you disclose your interest in SF, if any.

Last edited by cgray; 04-19-09 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-20-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

When I purchase insurance, I am not making my decisions on who will call me back the fastest (though I realize this is worth something to many people). I am not making decisions on who will pay the claim within a month (again, a quick payment is important to some people). I am making decisions based on who is likely to pay a claim fairly...eventually, as governed by state statue of limitations. Again, in my experience (and it isn't difficult to track/compare with other attorneys), some companies are much better at this than others.
I can agree with everything you said except I think you discount timely payments too much. For a lot of people, timely payments are needed because they don't have the cash to pay for the out of pocket expenses while waiting many months to be reimbursed. Most (auto) accidents are cut and dry and payment should be quick. It is only the types of losses you would see (complicated or large) that might take months or years to pay out.

That said, your point about fair payments is well taken. I scraped my neighbor's front bumper and my insurance company paid out $1400 (their entire car was worth about $2-3K). The claims department had no interest in the many pictures I took of both cars. I doubt that the adjuster took any pictures of the cars. Their car was previously damaged all over and my scrape was one of hundreds. I was (and still am a little) pissed. That $1400 loss totally screwed up my loss ratio and I will pay more for longer because they over-paid that claim.
Old 04-20-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sdallnct, I think it only fair that you disclose your interest in SF, if any.
I do find it interesting that you want to looks at statistics that do not exist.

I have yet to mention any insurance company by name. You have, but I have not. Those questions I ask came from a simple google search.
Old 04-20-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure how these recent posts are contributing to OP's thread. Sorry to hijack your thread, OP. If you are looking around at other insurance companies, I would avoid SF. Sdallnct disagrees. There you go.

In my experience, people buy insurance to protect themselves against serious accidents. That's why most people drive around with at least $100k in coverage. Sdallnct, the statistics you mentioned (customer service, etc.) really have no bearing on why people are buying insurance in the first place. I have already explained why. When you say, "You are 100% right" (sarcastically, of course), I do not understand. Is there one best insurance company that everyone can agree on? No. Is it acceptable to have a negative opinion of SF? Sure. I do not think I have to be right, nor that you are wrong. In fact, you are most definitely right: all of the things you cited about SF are true. I am disputing that those cites tell the whole story. That is, I'm stating my opinion of one insurance company that came up in the conversation. It is an opinion that, because of my background and profession, I feel is justified and relevant to people's decision as to insurance decisions. Anyone else who feels they have an opinion, contrary or otherwise, is free to post.

I never asked where you got your information from, or if you mentioned any insurance company by name. I asked if you have any interest in SF, and I still do not know the answer.

I do not feel that we are contributing to anyone's understanding of the insurance industry or specific insurers at this point, so would suggest that we call a truce until either of us can help OP at greater length. Fair enough?

Last edited by cgray; 04-20-09 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-20-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush18 View Post
I can agree with everything you said except I think you discount timely payments too much. For a lot of people, timely payments are needed because they don't have the cash to pay for the out of pocket expenses while waiting many months to be reimbursed. Most (auto) accidents are cut and dry and payment should be quick. It is only the types of losses you would see (complicated or large) that might take months or years to pay out.
I agree with the above. There are claims, usually not involving injury, where settlement is both possible and reasonable in the months following the accident. This is because there are fairly accurate ways to determine property loss (by reference to ebay, blue book etc.)

Accidents are, of course, harder to assess; because of all the variables (and the lack of a "human body blue book"), damages are much harder to agree on. As far as accidents with injuries, I know that real life and its demands get in the way of an ideal settlement all too often. I understand this. On the other hand, I have been very successful setting people up on liens who cannot pay for treatment, either because they don't have insurance or don't have the money. This gives them the time to receive treatment, as well as to assess and understand their injuries and how they may have a future impact on their lives. This added knowledge, as well as the supporting records, necessarily changes what is being talked about in settlement negotiations.

However, it is too bad that PIP/no fault insurance isn't around anymore (in CO anyway). That certainly helped out a lot of people.

As far as your experience with the $1400 paid to the crappy car, it sounds like a fasttrack claim. Many insurance companies have no problem paying up to $2k/$3k (depending on the insurance company) to resolve a claim, even just a property claim. It can be equally expensive (and more time consuming) to the company to open a file, assign an adjuster, etc., so they pay to resolve a claim. Again, I believe they make up for those little over-payments by attempting to pay as little as possible on larger claims. I have a client that recently got paid $5k for a totaled 1980's Accord, which I am still trying to understand.

I do not think that the difference in your insurance premiums would have been substantially different if they had only paid out $500. I think they took advantage of the moment to raise your premiums. It is just as common that the converse happens: you cause an accident of $500-$1500 damage, and your rates aren't affected at all (if you've been with the company a long time, if you don't have previous incidents, etc.); I really don't know what goes into any particular decision.
Old 04-20-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure how these recent posts are contributing to OP's thread. Sorry to hijack your thread, OP. If you are looking around at other insurance companies, I would avoid SF. Sdallnct disagrees. There you go.

I do not feel that we are contributing to anyone's understanding of the insurance industry or specific insurers at this point, so would suggest that we call a truce until either of us can help OP at greater length. Fair enough?
Fair enough and I got no problem with that.

In my post I mentioned what a great time to shop around this is. In my response to your post, I mentioned other things that one might want to consider when searching for a carrier other then simply cost. Some people might want a company that is financially strong, some might want the cheapest available, some might want the best customer service, etc, etc.
Old 04-20-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

However, it is too bad that PIP/no fault insurance isn't around anymore (in CO anyway). That certainly helped out a lot of people.

As far as your experience with the $1400 paid to the crappy car, it sounds like a fasttrack claim. Many insurance companies have no problem paying up to $2k/$3k (depending on the insurance company) to resolve a claim, even just a property claim. It can be equally expensive (and more time consuming) to the company to open a file, assign an adjuster, etc., so they pay to resolve a claim. Again, I believe they make up for those little over-payments by attempting to pay as little as possible on larger claims. I have a client that recently got paid $5k for a totaled 1980's Accord, which I am still trying to understand.

I do not think that the difference in your insurance premiums would have been substantially different if they had only paid out $500. I think they took advantage of the moment to raise your premiums. It is just as common that the converse happens: you cause an accident of $500-$1500 damage, and your rates aren't affected at all (if you've been with the company a long time, if you don't have previous incidents, etc.); I really don't know what goes into any particular decision.
I actually work for a commercial auto insurance company (underwriting side), so I know it is probably better in the long run. It just grates me the wrong way every time I see their car and know they scored a free $1400 at my insurance's expense. Most insurance fraud is on a small scale. It will always be cheaper for the companies to just pay the small claim and avoid the expenses.

As to the PIP, if it would work anything like in Florida, you are better off without it. There is so much corruption and fraud with PIP there it would make your head spin. They have clinics all over the place with doctors who “specialize” in PIP losses.
Old 04-20-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

21st is terrible. I called them once for a quote and they were a little more expensive than my current carrier. I told them no thanks, but was then hounded for the next 6 months on a regular basis by the person I talked to trying to convince me to switch. It was annoying.

I was in a little fender bender last April driving home from work, and the other gay had 21st Century. I just got it resolved the first week of March. No lie. It took THAT long for everything to be sorted out.

I'd never go to them.
Old 04-21-09, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush18 View Post
I actually work for a commercial auto insurance company (underwriting side), so I know it is probably better in the long run. It just grates me the wrong way every time I see their car and know they scored a free $1400 at my insurance's expense. Most insurance fraud is on a small scale. It will always be cheaper for the companies to just pay the small claim and avoid the expenses.

As to the PIP, if it would work anything like in Florida, you are better off without it. There is so much corruption and fraud with PIP there it would make your head spin. They have clinics all over the place with doctors who “specialize” in PIP losses.

same thing in NYC

the people who are "injured" get a small cut of the payment and the clinic gets most of it via all kinds of tests, useless psycho therapy and medical supplies

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.