Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

YACT: Transmission is leaking. $5000 to fix?!

Old 04-16-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

YACT: Transmission is leaking. $5000 to fix?!

Was at VW today getting an oil change. Maintenance guy tells me that they found a minor leak in my transmission. Cost to fix: $5100. (I'm out of warranty...it's a lease and I'm over 70,000 miles.)

No way I was going to pay that at the dealer as I know indy shops generally charge lots less. He said car would be OK to drive for now, but the leak would progressively get worse and cause more damage/more $ out of pocket.

How serious is my problem and how much could I expect an independent shop to fix a leak in the transmission?

Oh, and he said my battery needed to be replaced...for $290.
Old 04-16-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: YACT: Transmission is leaking. $5000 to fix?!

pesos?
Old 04-16-09, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
It'll be one of these...
Old 04-16-09, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
pesos?
Old 04-16-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

And dealership service departments wonder why customers hightail it to independent mechanics. My mechanic charges about 1/2 to 1/3rd the dealership for most repairs.
Old 04-16-09, 04:09 PM

He said car would be OK to drive for now, but the leak would progressively get worse and cause more damage/more $ out of pocket.
More $ out of pocket?????

For the price he'll fix the leak for you could buy a rebuilt VW transmission and have it installed and have money left over!
Old 04-16-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

you could probably buy a new transmission for half of that.
Old 04-16-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was at VW today getting an oil change. Maintenance guy tells me that they found a minor leak in my transmission. Cost to fix: $5100. (I'm out of warranty...it's a lease and I'm over 70,000 miles.)

No way I was going to pay that at the dealer as I know indy shops generally charge lots less. He said car would be OK to drive for now, but the leak would progressively get worse and cause more damage/more $ out of pocket.

How serious is my problem and how much could I expect an independent shop to fix a leak in the transmission?

The VW dealer told you this? I'm shocked and appalled. No not really.
Old 04-16-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most places around here were doing a rebuilt tranny for a Ford (I know, gasp) for $1800-$2000, and some as low as $900

As for the battery, I think $75 would be the max at like an Autozone or something, unless you are going Optima.
Old 04-16-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are they going to replace the transmission? I had a tranmission replaced on a vehicle at the dealership a few years ago on a car that was just out of warranty and it was about 3,000.00. The service guy got the car maker to pay 1/2 so I only paid about 1,500.00.

I would definently get a second or third opinion as long as it is driveable. Other than that trade it in as soon as possible and do not mention it. I did that several years ago after taking a vehicle in for service and was told it 1,200.00 worth of emergency work (would not pass inspection) on top of the service charges. They didnt have the parts so they were ordered and on the way home I stopped at a car dealer and traded it in and got 1,500.00 trade-in. The salesman took it to their appraisal mechanic. A couple of days later it was sitting on the used car lot for 2,000.00. I doubt they fixed it.

Sorry, I didnt remember the lease thing. So I guess you are kind of stuck with it unless you can turn it in.

Last edited by ernestrp; 04-16-09 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 04:24 PM
X
Administrator

It seems strange to me that you'd have a leased car past warranty. Warranty is one of the big benefits of leasing.
Old 04-16-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

why do you have a car at 70k on a lease? but in any event,

go to autozone for the battery...should be $100, if not less.

where exactly is it leaking? sometimes, it's just that the tranny pan hit something on the ground and has a small leak. you may just be able to replace the pan, alone. hard to say w/o knowing exactly where it's leaking from though.
Old 04-16-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ride it out until the lease expires and then turn it in. No way I'd spend $5000 on a lease. It makes me sick to buy tires for a lease.
Old 04-16-09, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
why do you have a car at 70k on a lease? but in any event...

where exactly is it leaking? sometimes, it's just that the tranny pan hit something on the ground and has a small leak. you may just be able to replace the pan, alone. hard to say w/o knowing exactly where it's leaking from though.
No idea where the leak is.

When I leased the VW, my commute was only a few miles to and from work. I've moved twice since, and my current commute is 50 miles each way.
Old 04-16-09, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower View Post
The VW dealer told you this? I'm shocked and appalled. No not really.
Yep. Quote was $5120 to replace transmission.
Old 04-16-09, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Ride it out until the lease expires and then turn it in. No way I'd spend $5000 on a lease. It makes me sick to buy tires for a lease.
That was my initial thinking, but if I walk away from it in Jan. when my lease is up, I'm going to be stuck with nearly $4000 in over-milage fees, and fees for whatever damage I've incurred (like minor dents and that transmission leak).

Talked to sales mgr. when I was getting my work done. To buy out my lease [which is what I'll do since I a.) will never lease again, and b.) I don't want another VW) I'd have 60 months more of payments with total walk off price of about $15,000 (at 8.9% APR...tho probably lower). Sales guy said to do that, make payments on it for about a year and a half, then trade it in somewhere.
Old 04-16-09, 06:35 PM

I had a transmission leak once in a 1972 Ford Gran Torino. Every time the light would turn green I'd leave the cars behind me in a thick fog. I took it to Aamco and they wrote "Junk it!" on the estimate. The said it would be a couple thousand dollars to fix and the car wasn't worth that much. I took it to one of the many Spanish-speaking auto shops in my old neighborhood and they fixed it for $65. It ran great for another five years before I traded it in.
Unless something is under warranty I would never go to a dealership for repairs.
Old 04-16-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is an unethical dealership.

This video represents what that dealership wants to do to you.

Old 04-16-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always figured you should get a hefty discount with a leaky tranny....
Old 04-16-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

aren't powertrain warranties 100,000 miles and isn't the tranny part of the powertrain?

also check your auto insurance. my geico policy will pay to fix a major repair on a car. it's like $15 every 6 months for that part.
Old 04-16-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was my initial thinking, but if I walk away from it in Jan. when my lease is up, I'm going to be stuck with nearly $4000 in over-milage fees, and fees for whatever damage I've incurred (like minor dents and that transmission leak).

Talked to sales mgr. when I was getting my work done. To buy out my lease [which is what I'll do since I a.) will never lease again, and b.) I don't want another VW) I'd have 60 months more of payments with total walk off price of about $15,000 (at 8.9% APR...tho probably lower). Sales guy said to do that, make payments on it for about a year and a half, then trade it in somewhere.
contact vw to see if you can buy additional mileage. it may be cheaper to buy now than to pay overage fees later. doesn't mean you have to buy it, but say they give you a much lower rate if you buy, then it may be worth it to buy. need more info about the car. year/model/trim?

No idea where the leak is.

When I leased the VW, my commute was only a few miles to and from work. I've moved twice since, and my current commute is 50 miles each way.
it seems like you're not very mechanically inclined. i'd take it to a trustworthy indy shop and ask for a second opinion. also, if the leak is costly to fix, but it's only leaking very slowly, then you can refill the atf when it runs low. this is assuming you're losing less than a quart every few months, you should be able to refill it a few times before you return the car, might be cheaper than fixing the problem. problem is atf has to be refilled from under the car, with a pump. not that difficult to do, but again, i'm not sure you want to do it if you're not mechanically inclined.
Old 04-16-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
aren't powertrain warranties 100,000 miles and isn't the tranny part of the powertrain?

also check your auto insurance. my geico policy will pay to fix a major repair on a car. it's like $15 every 6 months for that part.
VW powertrain is 5/60 right now. if you have a 2001 or earlier, then it's 10/100 for the original owner, but i'm guessing this is not the case.
Old 04-16-09, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
VW powertrain is 5/60 right now. if you have a 2001 or earlier, then it's 10/100 for the original owner, but i'm guessing this is not the case.
You're right.

It's an '06 Jetta by the way.
Old 04-17-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, no surprise. The local Audi dealership wanted almost $7500 to replace the transmission in my wife's 2001 A6. The independent shop we generally use ended up being about a third of that (with a warrantied rebuilt).
Old 04-17-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're right.

It's an '06 Jetta by the way.
i'm assuming it's a base 2.5 automatic, or somewhere near it. honestly my opinion would be to talk to vw and try to buy additional miles, and then just return the car to them. by the time January comes around, you'd probably be in the 80-90k, i'm guessing you'd get 10k for it at most, especially considering the mkvi jettas should be out either by then, or if not, very soon. my point is, if you can get the cost of the extra mileage down, then it'd probably be better for you. driving it another year or two, the price is gonna go down substantially at the rate you're driving anyways, you're gonna be more in the red. if you buyout at 15k for 5 years, expect that you're gonna be upside down for at least 3 years.