Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Citing sources question..

Old 04-13-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Citing sources question..

I apologize, I'm on a bit of a deadline, i've been looking for a while now and have not been able to find a definitive answer. Onto my question..

When citing sources in a paper...if you use the same source numerous times throughout the paper, do you have to keep citing each piece of information? Or is the first citation sufficient?

Thanks buds.
Old 04-13-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Citing sources question..

It depends on the style...MLA, APA, etc. In general, you need to cite it each time, as failure to cite may imply that you are representing the writing as your own, instead of providing a reference to the original author.
Old 04-13-09, 09:44 PM
Needs to provide a working email

You have to cite each one, with the various page numbers where you found the information, of course. (If it's the same exact page in the same exact book, just use "Ibid.")

You can use a shorter citation, according to the accepted rules for your field (mine was history, so I used the Chicago/Turaibian standards). Usually just the author is okay for the second citation, unless you have multiple works from the same author.
Old 04-13-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I suppose I should have also stated that i'm citing in footnotes, if that makes a difference. I am also just citing one page from a website that was packed with information from the same author.

It's also not APA.

I appreciate the responses so far.
Old 04-13-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know the conventions for other fields, but if you don't cite it each time, how is the reader supposed to know that the second and third times you are basing your statement on someone else's work? I'm sure there's a "short cite" convention, and there may be a convention where you only need one cite per paragraph, but I imagine you still must cite it more that once.
Old 04-14-09, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

supra note x, at [page num] - that's how you would do it in a law article, but only if it is not a case