Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

New Baby question: cord blood banking?

Old 04-09-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New Baby question: cord blood banking?

So anyone bank cord blood for their newborn baby? Don't worry, I'm doing other research as well, I'm just looking for firsthand input from anyone who's had to make the decision.

It seems very expensive (considering you're paying yearly for upkeep as well), and while I've heard stories of it saving lives, I don't know anyone personally who's actually had to use it... it's more like a safety net.
Old 04-09-09, 01:44 PM
X
Administrator

Re: New Baby question: cord blood banking?

I did that but haven't had to use it (luckily!)
Old 04-09-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Had the option with 2 children and chose not to twice. Seemed like buying life insurance that pays for your mortage if you die: Very expensive coverage for something not likely to happen.
Old 04-09-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We didn't do it because of the expense. We also looked into donating the cord/blood, but the hospital that we were at didn't offer that option.

It's not even like insurance where your definitely going to get a pay off if the unthinkable occurs, they are really saving it in case medical technology finds a way to use it on a consistent basis to fix problems in the future.

That being said, I have heard some stories of people using the blood and having excellent results.

The rule we used was to not do it since it's so expensive, unless we had a reason to do it. That is, if there was a health risk to the baby of some sort that might merit the use of it in the future. However, if the pregnancy was completely routine without any indication of a problem, we would not do it. Luckily it was and we didn't.
Old 04-09-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dr. Acula said it was a good idea.
Old 04-09-09, 02:04 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

An emergent c-section with premature triplets in the middle of the night made this impossible.
Old 04-09-09, 02:13 PM
X
Administrator

It only costs us $100 a year to store it. I think the initial cost was around $500. So I don't think it's prohibitively expensive.
Old 04-09-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X View Post
It only costs us $100 a year to store it. I think the initial cost was around $500. So I don't think it's prohibitively expensive.
The price we were quoted was much more than that. However, I don't think we would have spent that much either.
Old 04-09-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X View Post
They must be storing yours at some 7-11 freezer or something.

Wife and I are looking into it, but it is expensive (at least where we live). It's $2,000 initially and you pay about $20 a month. While I think it's a good idea, I've read up on the promising research to get regular cells and convert them into stem cells. Seems as though we aren't too far away from that being reality but that's a gamble as it may still be many years away, and I'll have a child in a few months.
Old 04-09-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think it was like $1500 initial cost,, and I don't remember the yearly fee. My wife wanted to do it, but I didn't. I tried explaining the unlikelihood of using it, but such arguments don't always permeate the mind of a pregnant woman. In the end I figured "what the hell", it makes my wife feel good and if by some random chance we need it, then it will be well worth it.
Old 04-09-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't done any research or anything, but it strikes me as a bit of a scam. Like it's using parents' potential guilt at not doing anything and everything for their child in order to sell a high priced questionable service.
Old 04-09-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looked into it before son was born.... seems it is more useful to help a sibling with a problem than the child it is taken from. My conclusion is that it was very expensive for the % chance that it would be needed and could be used.

There are donation centers, but it seems they are overloaded and rarely will take your donation.

In the end I don't think it would have mattered for me anyway since there was complication with the cord wrapped twice around his neck and had to be cut several times anyway.
Old 04-12-09, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by momandwife View Post
But at least please donate it if you are not going to bank!
But read up before you bother to make an effort... over half of all donations are thrown away because they're not big enough. Also some doctors charge for this, and the nearest hospital that accepts donations may be hundreds of miles away from you.
Old 04-13-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We did it for both of our boys, with the grandparents picking up the tab. The first one was pretty expensive since it was back in '99. It was the first cord blood capture that the OB had done.

Our feeling was that it was better to have it and not need it. The annual storage fee is about $125.
Old 04-13-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife is due in a month. We're banking... cost $2000 start-up cost plus $125 a year.

Is it likely to help? Probably not. But I'm the paranoid sort, and it just feels better to have it... just in case.
Old 04-13-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Is it likely to help? Probably not. But I'm the paranoid sort, and it just feels better to have it... just in case.
"As a senior citizen, you're probably aware of the threat robots pose. Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel. Well, now there's a company that offers coverage against the unfortunate event of robot attack, with Old Glory Insurance. Old Glory will cover you with no health check-up or age consideration. [ SUPER: Limitied Benefits First Two Years ] You need to feel safe. And that's harder and harder to do nowadays, because robots may strike at any time."
Old 04-13-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it's not like cord banking is completely useless. kids do get cancer and may need it. or you may need it for a sibling.

there was a story from the NYC burbs how a couple had a third child just to help one of their existing kids survive lukemia
Old 04-13-09, 11:41 AM

Has there ever been an instance where corded blood saved a life, where no other method would have worked?
Old 04-13-09, 11:43 AM
X
Administrator

Can't say for sure that no other method would have worked...

http://healthcorner.walgreens.com/display/1853.htm

If you can't get a match any other way it seems like it could be considered the only method that worked.
Old 04-13-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the theory is that if your kid gets lukemia then you have stem cells or whatever that is a complete match for a transplant

http://www.cordblood.com/cord_blood_...ries/index.asp
Old 04-13-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i have 3 kids and i never heard about this before
Old 04-13-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the first kid was kind of by the seat of our pants, but the next kid my wife and i will probably do it

$10,000 over a lifetime is a pretty cheap insurance policy
Old 04-13-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by tdirgins View Post
We did it for both of our boys, with the grandparents picking up the tab. The first one was pretty expensive since it was back in '99. It was the first cord blood capture that the OB had done.

Our feeling was that it was better to have it and not need it. The annual storage fee is about $125.
This is kind of what I'm leaning towards. Keep saying I don't want it until my parents pick up the tab for the initial cost.
Old 04-13-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I have one kid and I looked into it. I agree with everything Duran said...they are using parents' potential guilt at not doing anything and everything for their child in order to sell a high priced questionable service. Even our OB was just mater of fact about it, he wasn't exstatic one way or the other.

My final conclusion was, let's not do it for the first baby. If the first baby gets sick we'll have a second baby to get the cord blood for the first baby. When it comes time for baby #2, we'll re-evaluate.
Old 04-13-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I have one kid and I looked into it. I agree with everything Duran said...they are using parents' potential guilt at not doing anything and everything for their child in order to sell a high priced questionable service. Even our OB was just mater of fact about it, he wasn't exstatic one way or the other.

My final conclusion was, let's not do it for the first baby. If the first baby gets sick we'll have a second baby to get the cord blood for the first baby. When it comes time for baby #2, we'll re-evaluate.

shouldn't the logic be, do it for the first so if you don't have a second child you still have the blood? seems like that would make more sense.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.