Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got my kitten spayed...Why was she kept there overnight?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-09-09, 12:08 AM

Yesterday morning I dropped my kitten off at the vet to get spayed. They told me to pick her up the next day at 8:45 AM. When my dog got spayed, I remember her coming home the same day, but I figured maybe they needed to do extra stuff for cats (??). I was in a bit of a rush in the morning, so in hindsight it was foolish of me to not ask WHY this was necessary.

Anyway, they told me I could call them later in the afternoon. I called after work (around 5 PM) and the place was closed with a message giving a number for emergencies and whatnot.

Now, if the place is closed, that means she would be kept alone for almost 16 hours...I got kind of pissed off when I realized they were closed. If they are just leaving her there alone, what was the point of even leaving her overnight?

It seems kind of messed up to leave her there alone overnight with some other animals (separated, I know) when I could have just brought her home.

I hope it wasn't to just tack on to the bill...I've used this same vet for years and he's always done right by me (saved my dog from a horrible mange attack).

I will def. ask tomorrow morning why she was kept there and I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was still there later than like 5PM while the main office was just closed.

If not, I will def. get upset...because the thought of them leaving her all alone for 15 hours+ after surgery really pisses me off, since it's unnecessary to leave her there at all if nobody will even be there.

Anyone have any experience/advice/comments?
Old 04-09-09, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Just got my kitten spayed...Why was she kept there overnight?

The vet has to pad the bill somehow, keeping animals overnight works well.
Old 04-09-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, please go in with the attitude that the vet is trying to rip you off while simultaneously torturing and/or neglecting your pet. That'll make for a fun conversation.

If the place was closed by the time you got off work, how would you have picked up your cat anyway?
Old 04-09-09, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Im sure she is fine........

Old 04-09-09, 09:34 AM

It depends on the vet--some vets insist on keeping animals overnight when there's no one in the building. Some keep spays overnight but not neuters since spaying is a more invasive surgery. My vet even did this when my male dog got neutered. It was stupid, I hated it, but they said those were the rules. I know mine does it just to hike up the bill, because they force you to leave the pet overnight, then charge you for a night of boarding, then give them a bath and charge for that too and there's no way to decline any of it.

I've worked for a vet before and the only animals that vet kept overnight were cats who had been declawed. Yes some animals are still stoned when they come home, but it's nothing that can't be handled by being kept in one room and watched for awhile.
Old 04-09-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tommy28 View Post
Im sure she is fine........

I also had to leave my cat Lulu overnight at the vet for spaying when she was a kitten. She's never forgiven me. Seriously, she dislikes everyone.
Old 04-09-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

General anesthesia can have unexpected risks. Many veterinarians feel it is best to keep an eye on the animals overnight.
Old 04-09-09, 10:26 AM

How are they keeping an eye on them when the animal is alone in an empty building all night?
Old 04-09-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because the place was closed does not mean nobody was there. A night caretaker would not answer the door.
Old 04-09-09, 11:50 AM

Most of the time there is no one there--if there is, they use it as a selling point to tell you how much safer your pet is. If not, they'll tell you that it's better for your pet to be at their facility because it's 'safe' without giving you a reason how it's safe.

When I worked for a vet, we left in the evening at 7 PM, locked the door, and no one saw the animals again until we unlocked the door at 7 AM the next day. No vets, no tech, no kennel attendants, no one.

I know there is no one at my vet's because I asked them straight out and they admitted the building was completely empty from 7 or 8 PM until the next morning, even as they continued to insist my dog was 'safer.'
Old 04-09-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks. I would not want to pay for the overnight stay, then.
Old 04-09-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/H...r_Your_Own_Pet
Old 04-09-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Males can go home the same day if laser castrating is done. Females is more invasive and they generally like to keep them overnight.
Old 04-09-09, 02:53 PM

Neutering is a simple surgery, laser or not. Needing a laser to neuter a cat is like me needing a hazmat crew to wipe the toothpaste spots off my bathroom counter.

My 2 most recent acquisitions were female cats who I dropped off at the county spay/neuter mobile at 8 AM and picked up at 4 PM. The surgery was performed in an RV in the parking lot of a wildlife sanctuary. By 9 PM that night they were more or less back to normal.
Old 04-09-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emptysky View Post
Neutering is a simple surgery, laser or not. Needing a laser to neuter a cat is like me needing a hazmat crew to wipe the toothpaste spots off my bathroom counter.

My 2 most recent acquisitions were female cats who I dropped off at the county spay/neuter mobile at 8 AM and picked up at 4 PM. The surgery was performed in an RV in the parking lot of a wildlife sanctuary. By 9 PM that night they were more or less back to normal.
I haven't had a female cat in a while but now that I think about it I'm fairly sure that when I did I went to one of those low income spay/neuter places and I dropped her off in the morning and picked her up in the evening.
Old 04-09-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just made an appointment at a low income spay/neuter clinic to spay a female cat. Drop off at 8, pick up at 5:30.
Old 04-09-09, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I haven't had a female cat in a while but now that I think about it I'm fairly sure that when I did I went to one of those low income spay/neuter places and I dropped her off in the morning and picked her up in the evening.
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I just made an appointment at a low income spay/neuter clinic to spay a female cat. Drop off at 8, pick up at 5:30.
I guess those places are like the Earl Scheib of veterinary medicine.

Old 04-10-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no clue why the huge price difference, and I'm sure the vets offer "better" services or "better" vets. However, when one place quotes me at $300 a cat, another at $400, and this place is $55 I figure it's worth the risk.
Old 04-10-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I have no clue why the huge price difference, and I'm sure the vets offer "better" services or "better" vets. However, when one place quotes me at $300 a cat, another at $400, and this place is $55 I figure it's worth the risk.
I used to exclusively use those places. Somewhere along the line I started going to a "real vet" not sure why though as like you quoted there is a huge difference in the spay/neutering prices.
Old 04-10-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone who specializes in spaying can keep overhead down, because they don't have to keep other supplies and expertise around. Just do the one thing, and do it all day long. Boring, but not as expensive.
Old 04-10-09, 02:28 PM

Update?
Old 04-11-09, 03:06 AM

Thanks for the replies and input everyone.

And to the person who assumed I would go in there accusing the vet of neglet/overcharging....um no. I never stated I was going in there with a confrontational attitude. A simple "I called to check up..." and see where it goes from there.

Also to the same person who asked how I would pick up my cat....while I am at work, I have family, friends and a girlfriend who could have all picked her up for me, so it wouldn't have been an issue.

Long story short, they pretty much admitted my kitten was there alone. They all left around 6 PM or so, so she was there alone for around 14 hours.

I explained to him it was ludicrous to keep her there overnight for "observation" or otherwise if she was going to be alone, and they basically had no response for that other than "well, you see...." bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

I confirmed it today when I drove by around 6:30 on my way to dinner and the lot was completely empty...and it was empty a few hours later too.

So I footed the bill (around 200) and politely told him I didn't agree with them placing my kitten in "observation" when NOBODY was there. I could have easily arranged for her to be picked up around or before 6 PM if that were the case. I also never mentioned anything about being busy either, they told me right off the bat she would be there overnight.

The thing that got me pissed was my kitten hates being alone, and often cries if I leave the room to get a drink of water. Unless she's playing with the dog, she is a nervous wreck when she's left alone. She was a stray that almost died of hypothermia in November when she was found, so she's been very clingy since then. I'd hate to imagine how scared she was after surgery and being alone all night.

I already found a new vet in the area, and she won't have to go back for a while anyway.
Old 04-11-09, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by ValeTudoChokeOu View Post
Thanks for the replies and input everyone.

And to the person who assumed I would go in there accusing the vet of neglet/overcharging....um no. I never stated I was going in there with a confrontational attitude. A simple "I called to check up..." and see where it goes from there.

Also to the same person who asked how I would pick up my cat....while I am at work, I have family, friends and a girlfriend who could have all picked her up for me, so it wouldn't have been an issue.

Long story short, they pretty much admitted my kitten was there alone. They all left around 6 PM or so, so she was there alone for around 14 hours.

I explained to him it was ludicrous to keep her there overnight for "observation" or otherwise if she was going to be alone, and they basically had no response for that other than "well, you see...." bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

I confirmed it today when I drove by around 6:30 on my way to dinner and the lot was completely empty...and it was empty a few hours later too.

So I footed the bill (around 200) and politely told him I didn't agree with them placing my kitten in "observation" when NOBODY was there. I could have easily arranged for her to be picked up around or before 6 PM if that were the case. I also never mentioned anything about being busy either, they told me right off the bat she would be there overnight.

The thing that got me pissed was my kitten hates being alone, and often cries if I leave the room to get a drink of water. Unless she's playing with the dog, she is a nervous wreck when she's left alone. She was a stray that almost died of hypothermia in November when she was found, so she's been very clingy since then. I'd hate to imagine how scared she was after surgery and being alone all night.

I already found a new vet in the area, and she won't have to go back for a while anyway.

Cats are probably left overnight as to not be disturbed by dogs and handled by owners. also they are recovering from surgery and are probably drugged and sleep most of the time..

did you ask your new vet if someone stays with the cat while in recovery overnight?

Spaying is a bit more complicated. A female cat’s belly is shaved, and an incision about an inch long is cut in the abdominal wall. The veterinarian removes the cat’s Y-shaped uterus and ovaries. Full recovery typically takes about a week.

""""After surgery, a spayed cat will receive pain medication and will be monitored closely by the clinic staff during her recovery. Cats are generally kept overnight for spays, and neutered cats can leave the same day if the surgery took place in the morning"""""
Old 04-11-09, 11:38 AM

Not to derail the thread but out of curiosity, tommy28, why did you quote the entire passage from ValeTudoChokeOu immediately above your own post?
Old 04-11-09, 03:14 PM

dogmatica.
PM me if it's that important!!!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.