Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Finally going to Japan! Any travel suggestions?

Old 04-08-09, 08:18 PM

Finally going to Japan! Any travel suggestions?

So I am finally getting to go to Japan next month; however I have very limited time to plan my vacation around my work week there. I am going to be staying in the Tokyo Hilton and had planned to keep that hotel through the next week for my vacation. Does anyone have any travel suggestions to maximize the limited amount of time I will have there (about five full days)? I really want to see Kyoto, but I have read where it takes anywhere from 80 minutes to 5 hours to travel between Tokyo and Kyoto so will keeping my hotel in Tokyo be too difficult?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Finally going to Japan! Any travel suggestions?

ride the train during rush hour
Old 04-08-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

take the shinkansen to kyoto and spend a good 3 days there then take the train to osaka and finish out your trip there. osaka is loads more fun than tokyo, better food and shoping and cool castles. you can fly home from kansai airport which is near osaka. if you stay in tokyo i guess you can do the standard yawnfest of going to harajuku, shibuya, akihabara, kabukicho. roppongi is a shithole filled with american and british military people so stay out of there.

if i was stuck in tokyo i would spend my time in kitanomaru park, asakusa, and tsukiji markets. additionally there are many excellent onsen trips you can take via train.

study the culture before you go, don't be a typical american tourist, and have fun
Old 04-08-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nara Deer Park, Mt Fuji, Kabuki Cho (have someone take you to a Japanese Strip Club), Osaka Aquarium, Try the Octopus balls, Arcades, ect
Old 04-09-09, 05:21 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Have Mothra on speed-dial in case you-know-who shows up.
Old 04-09-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to this year, from May 2 to may 18

If you are going to travel to other cities, make sure you get a JR pass. You should check out the Japan forum on Trip Advisor, it's a wealth of information. japane-guide.com is also very good to help plan your trip. And if you like the work of Miyazaki, don't forget to get a ticket to go to the Ghibli museum, you can't buy a ticket there (they sell them at Lawson convenience store, but getting employees who speak English is not garanteed.) I bought mine from the same people who sell the JR train passes in Canada.

Last edited by Pressplay; 04-09-09 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

See this:

Old 04-09-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I live like 8 minutes from Tokyo Hilton at Shinjuku. Going to Kyoto is easy if you get the JR Pass before you come here.its very easy going by the Bullet Train.And they got plenty of good hotels at Kyoto.It takes around 3 days to see most of Kyoto and 1 day trip to Nara which is like 60 mins away.And you can be back to Tokyo the same day.if you got any questions you can ask me.PM me also , I can to help you as much as I can with the info for someone living here
Old 04-09-09, 10:31 PM

Head to Akihabara.
Old 04-25-09, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Absolutely do not miss Kyoto. Cut Tokyo short if you have to. Tokyo really does get boring imo after a few days. I can spend months in Kyoto.

Bias note: Kyoto is the best city I have ever visited in my life.

Definitely try to stay in a traditional ryokan in Kyoto if you can. Also, visit the Arashiyama district and rent a bike if you can. Perfect area to just ride around and take everything in.

As far as Tokyo goes, I'd spend the bulk of my time in Harajuku, Shibuya, and Shinjuku. Stay the hell away from Roppongi, don't bother with Odaiba, and I really think Akihabara is overrated. Harajuku is a really cool area though.
Old 08-10-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bumping this thread.

It looks like I will be in Japan for a conference in September. We will be staying in Tsukuba. I don't really think I will have a "day" to explore, but more interested in things to do in the evening, say 5 O'clock on.

I will be there with a couple thousand physicists, so it should be a party to go!
Old 08-11-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With physicists you say? Visit that small town and lodge where Feynman stayed when he went!
Old 08-11-10, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Always remember, "Sharking" is not only legal in Japan...it's expected.
Old 08-11-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One thing: don't say "tsoo-koo-ba." It's like "scuba," but with an unvoiced "t" in front, like in tsetse fly. "Tscuba." Even without knowledge of the Japanese language, proper pronunciation of the cities and things goes a long way to making the local people like you. Another example: Tokyo is two syllables: To (like the "toe" on your foot) and kyo. Actually, it's 4 syllables, with each o really being an oh-oo sound, written like "ou" in the Japanese phonetic alphabets. But it's done so quickly and it's not a sound our Western ears are used to, so we can't really hear it until we get used to it. But it's much better to say To-kyo than To-kee-yo. Unless you're singing that song "My woman from To-kee-yo!"

Check the Metropolis.co.jp website for any happenings around there as it gets closer to the date. Unless you're really interested, avoid places filled with foreigners, like Ginza and Roppongi. However, you might be able to check out the new Sky Tree (like Tokyo Tower, but a lot bigger). It will still be under construction at that time, and I don't think you can go in it or anything, but you can at least see it under construction, which is kind of cool. It's about an hour from Tsukuba--maybe just two trains. I use Hyperdia.com to plan my travel by train. Trains don't run all night, so make sure you don't miss the last trains back. If you do, though, just meet some Japanese people at a bar and go to karaoke all night.
Old 08-11-10, 11:32 AM

Bring tentacles. I think that's the only way to score with schoolgirls.
Old 08-11-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea View Post
Bring tentacles. I think that's the only way to score with schoolgirls.
Monique Junot: He keeps putting his testicles all over me.
Lane Myer: Excuse me?
Monique Junot: You know, like octopus? Testicles?
Lane Myer: Ohhhh. Tentacles. N-T. Big Difference.
Old 08-11-10, 12:57 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Bukkake

Noodles
Old 08-11-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Any other culinary recommendations?
Old 08-11-10, 02:19 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
^ Any other culinary recommendations?
The bukkake will fill you up. Trust me.
Old 08-11-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

19 posts and not one mention of The Arcades??? I've seen videos on youtube and they look
Old 08-11-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
19 posts and not one mention of School Girl Dirty Panty machines??? I've seen videos on youtube and they look

Old 08-11-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pachinko? The really popular games over in Japan seem to be the one with the claw and the stuffed toys. Tons of them in every arcade.

Just back from a couple of weeks in Japan with my gf who's Japanese. 4 days in Tokyo, 3 in Kyoto, 1 in Nara, 2 in Toba, and then 4 more in Tokyo. Deal! Just as important as the places you visit are the meals you eat when you're over there. There's a range of different types of Japanese cuisine which are worth sampling, and it would be a shame if someone went and didn't try as many of them as they can.
Old 08-11-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
19 posts and not one mention of The Arcades??? I've seen videos on youtube and they look
I discussed those with my girl and her sister and they said the vending machines are a bit of an urban myth. Girls selling their used panties on the other hand is definitely not a myth: my girlfriend's Dad suggested it to her as a way of making some extra money (as a joke, I hope!).
Old 08-11-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 08-12-10, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru View Post
I discussed those with my girl and her sister and they said the vending machines are a bit of an urban myth. Girls selling their used panties on the other hand is definitely not a myth: my girlfriend's Dad suggested it to her as a way of making some extra money (as a joke, I hope!).
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.