Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Best Happy Meal Toy ever

Old 04-07-09, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Best Happy Meal Toy ever

Child Finds Marijuana in Her McDonald's Happy Meal

Keith and Andrea Irelan's 8 year old daughter got more then she bargained for when they bought a happy meal for her on Monday night. What started out as a planned trip to their local McDonald's restaurant followed by a picnic in the park turned into a big surprise for the

It was after the Irelans got to the park with their three children that their daughter, who the parents did not want to identify, told her parents that she had received more then one toy in her Happy Meal. Andrea asked her daughter what she received and her daughter replied "A lighter, and another toy". When her mother looked inside her Happy Meal box she found the toy that should be in there, but was shocked to find not only the lighter her daughter mentioned, but a small marijuana pipe and a small bag of marijuana.

The Irelans immediately called police who went to the McDonald's where the meals were purchased to interview the employee's. On Tuesday, with the help of fellow employees and managers at the McDonald's, Ottawa police arrested 17 year old McDonald's employee (now former) Brandon Scott. Ottawa Police Chief Brian Zeilmann said Scott has been charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Police said Scott told them he had come into work for the day and forgot he had his marijuana and pipe in his pocket. He decided to hide the bag of weed, his lighter and the pipe in one of the Happy Meal boxes until he could get it at the end of his shift. Unfortunately for him though he forgot the box and left it where another employee could grab it and put the child's food and toy into it. The employee was quickly throwing the contents in the box and never noticed the items that were in it.

McDonald's released a statement saying the employee who was detained and subsequently arrest by police was immediately fired and they have offered a formal apology to the Irelans. The Irelans though say that is not enough for the pain and embarrassment they have had to go through on top of the effect they said the incident will have on their daughter and have planned to sue the McDonald's corporation.
Old 04-07-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Best Happy Meal Toy ever

Oh, for fuck's sake. "Pain and embarrassment?" The 8 year old will either forget about this within a month, or will enjoy telling the story for years to come.
Old 04-07-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs View Post
The Irelans though say that is not enough for the pain and embarrassment they have had to go through on top of the effect they said the incident will have on their daughter and have planned to sue the McDonald's corporation.
Nothing can scar a kid for life like finding a lighter and a bag of pot in their Happy Meal.

Old 04-07-09, 07:05 PM
Banned by request

Who wrote that article?
Old 04-07-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

this article is a close to a yr old (maybe more?). are you people just now hearing about it? it was all over the news.
anyways it happened in my hometown...the dude hangs out across the street from my moms. i see him on occasion. hes a worthless loser just like you would think.
Old 04-08-09, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
this article is a close to a yr old (maybe more?). are you people just now hearing about it? it was all over the news.
anyways it happened in my hometown...the dude hangs out across the street from my moms. i see him on occasion. hes a worthless loser just like you would think.
Hmm, I had never thought that. I thought he was just another seventeen year old. Good thing you cleared that up for us Matlock.
Old 04-08-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, I don't know if it's the best ever. I'm still partial to those little transformers they used to give out, that transformed into various mcdonalds food items.

But I guess in this case, the girl got the regular happy meal toy and a bonus.
Old 04-08-09, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Who wrote that article?
Obviously someone without access to an editor.
Old 04-08-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Eh, I don't know if it's the best ever. I'm still partial to those little transformers they used to give out, that transformed into various mcdonalds food items.

But I guess in this case, the girl got the regular happy meal toy and a bonus.

Those were the first things I thought of when I read the thread title! My favorite was the french fry transformer
Old 04-08-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What exactly would they sue for?
Old 04-08-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin View Post
What exactly would they sue for?
what do you mean??? they hit modern socities' lottery!! they deserve a pay day!

If any viable business / government in America makes a mistake - you get paid millions... rinse wash and repeat... until there is no viable business left.
Old 04-08-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In addition, the little girl didn't even know what it was, and still wouldn't know if the parents hadn't made such a big deal about it. So where did the pain and suffering come from?

I'd think the little boy who accidentally get's the girl's happy meal toy instead of the boy's one by mistake has more of a case.
Old 04-08-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
what do you mean??? they hit modern socities' lottery!! they deserve a pay day!

If any viable business / government in America makes a mistake - you get paid millions... rinse wash and repeat... until there is no viable business left.
Yes, I get what you are saying, but there has to be something to sue for in order to get "paid millions". What is it?
Old 04-08-09, 12:32 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Very generally speaking, an employer is responsible for the negligence - even recklessness - of its employees. An employer is generally not responsible for the intentional criminal conduct of its employees, unless it had reason to know of same and took no steps to prevent it or protect its customers. IMO McDondald's should fight the lawsuit on principle, even though it might cost them more to defend it than it might cost to settle.
Old 04-08-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
IMO McDondald's should fight the lawsuit on principle, even though it might cost them more to defend it than it might cost to settle.
What is the lawsuit? I am curious. Not trying to stroke you.
Old 04-08-09, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Who wrote that article?
Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
Obviously someone without access to an editor.
Ronnie Dobbs. There no news regarding what Mr. Dobbs here is posting around the net. People here are discussing something that RB here made up.
Old 04-08-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This article is from May of 2007.
Old 04-08-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
This article is from May of 2007.
Ah, that was just Ronnie's vote for best Happy Meal Toy.

So far, the informal poll shows:

2 votes for Mcdonalds transformers

1 vote for regular toy + bonus lighter, pipe, weed set (limited time offer not available at all locations, YMMV)
Old 04-08-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-08-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also liked the Looney Tunes/DC superhero crossover, basically looney tunes characters with DC superhero costumes. Superman/Bugs, Batman/Daffy, Wonderwoman/Petunia, and Flash/Tasmanian Devil
Old 04-08-09, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin View Post
What is the lawsuit? I am curious. Not trying to stroke you.
If the parents decided to started therapy (or put the children into therapy) to talk about the "incident," they could seek medical reimbursement and punitive damages if some of the employees had felonies or a police record for drug related activities (the employer did or should have known about narcotic possession/history/usage/sales).
Old 04-08-09, 02:53 PM
Suspended

If the parents decided to started therapy (or put the children into therapy) to talk about the "incident," they could seek medical reimbursement and punitive damages if some of the employees had felonies or a police record for drug related activities (the employer did or should have known about narcotic possession/history/usage/sales).
Well first of all, it's tax season, you should be on final crunch for April 15. Why in the hell are you posting here?

Second, it's not like the kid is exposed to this thread. So the kid saw a bag of tarragon, what the hell kind of pain and suffering would have he/she suffered that requires therapy?
Old 04-08-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how many times this has happened, and the recipients did not report it?
Old 04-08-09, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
Well first of all, it's tax season, you should be on final crunch for April 15. Why in the hell are you posting here?

Second, it's not like the kid is exposed to this thread. So the kid saw a bag of tarragon, what the hell kind of pain and suffering would have he/she suffered that requires therapy?
ha ha

If you don't have everything done by now - you are on extension.

but you know how parents are now a day - they are over sensitive, want to protect their kids from any criticism or exposure to anything in the "real world." oh I forgot to add that their kid is "special" and so much "smarter" than any other kid out there.

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 04-08-09 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you don't have everything done by now - you are on extension.
What does "on extension" mean? I haven't started doing my taxes yet.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.