Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

food talk: bread maker

Old 04-07-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

food talk: bread maker

Anyone have one of these things?

With the rising prices of bread, i'm wondering if buying one of these are worth it...
Old 04-07-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: food talk: bread maker

I have one and love the bread from it, but I am not sure it is cost effective.

The bread is still expensive to make if you buy the "bread machine" yeast and flour, plus the cost of the machine factored into each loaf.

Mine is 10 + years old, I use it about 6-7 times a year just to have bread machine bread
Old 04-07-09, 02:23 PM

I often see them in thrift stores...apparently lots of folks get tired of them or end up not using them (kinda the way exercise equipment winds up in thrift stores). If you're curious, I'd suggest buying a secondhand one (less than $20). I have one but only used it for pizza dough so far. Oh...they're big and bulky too and kinda awkward-shaped too, so consider where you're gonna store it when not using it, and where you're gonna place it when you are using it.
Old 04-07-09, 02:23 PM
ATX

um, self rising flour + flieschmanns yeast + hot oven

done.
Old 04-07-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

My wife has one and uses it just to mix her dough and then puts it in a regular bread "thingy" and bakes it that way. no idea why.
Old 04-07-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wasted time kills the deal
Old 04-07-09, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
My wife has one and uses it just to mix her dough and then puts it in a regular bread "thingy" and bakes it that way. no idea why.
Making dough is messy and is generally a hassle. The machine automates that part of the process, and does it neatly, with minimal mess. But the shape of the bread from the bread machine is weird. So baking it in the oven, in a traditional loaf pan, produces a better looking loaf.
Old 04-07-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Ha ha, you're married to kvrdave.
Old 04-07-09, 04:31 PM

Doh!
Old 04-07-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
wasted time kills the deal
It takes ~5 minutes to make a loaf of bread.

FWIW, I owned one and used it a lot for a year or two, then phased bread out of my diet so eventually got rid of it. It made great tasting bread, albeit in a square shape. It is WAY cheaper than buying similar quality bread from a store or bakery (if you compare it to Wonder, maybe it's not as good a deal). If you eat a lot of bread, I am sure it would pay off fairly quickly, and you'd be eating great fresh baked bread. There's nothing like setting the timer so that you wake up to the smell of fresh bread. And have fresh bread for breakfast.

If you go this route, look into King Arthur as a supplier of baking stuff, they have lots of products, yeasts, etc that help.
Old 04-07-09, 05:56 PM

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/
Old 04-07-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I own a Breadman Pro. I highly recommend getting at least one that bakes rectangular 2lb loaves. There are lots of recipes but I would imagine those that would enjoy gathering all the ingredients probably already enjoy cooking food from scratch.

There ARE premixed boxes you can buy. All you add is water and yeast. While not as good as made from scratch, it's still pretty yummy.

And nothing beats the smell of fresh bread baking... and that first warm slice...
Old 04-07-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bought one years ago for the wife. She used is a dozen times at most with mostly good results. Now sits on the shelf collecting dust.
Old 04-07-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
There are lots of recipes but I would imagine those that would enjoy gathering all the ingredients probably already enjoy cooking food from scratch.

There ARE premixed boxes you can buy. All you add is water and yeast. While not as good as made from scratch, it's still pretty yummy.
The premixed boxes somewhat defeat the purpose of saving money, though. And "gathering all the ingredients"? It's not some epic struggle! I made many different breads, and all the crazy ingredients I used were flour (wheat and white), corn meal, oats, molasses, maple syrup, honey, sugar, yeast, salt, and gluten (for whole wheat breads). Those added years to my trip to the supermarket! Only the gluten is a slightly unusual ingredient, but can be purchased at most health food stores. And like I mentioned earlier, you can order from a place like King Arthur and get it all. Though I haven't shopped at King Arthur in years, there may be a better place these days.

It's not that the premixed boxes are bad, it's just that you can make a much better loaf cheaper with very little additional work. Really, it takes a few extra minutes at the store once to buy some of these things, and 5 minutes to measure ingredients. then hit a button.
Old 04-07-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmmm don't remember saying it was an epic struggle but whatever.

I'm all for making it yourself, just mentioned the boxes for those that like things a little easier while enjoying fresh bread.
Old 04-08-09, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm more of a fan of the stand mixer + loaf pan + oven approach.
Old 04-08-09, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've had three, using each for several years. It is "male style cooking." A few minutes to throw in ingredients, come back in 3:08 hours when it is done.

Because I'm an engineer, I worked the cost of every ingredient back to the amount used per loaf. Made from scratch is about $0.75 per loaf. Oddly the yeast is the most expensive ingredient, bread flour the second, everything else almost negligible. This cost does NOT include amortizing the machine over its life or electricity.

The bread does not keep as well as commercial bread. I freeze it after I slice it. Pull pieces out, give them five minutes to partially thaw, then toast it. You'll never know it was frozen. Or make a sandwich with frozen bread before you go to work, it will be fine by lunch.

"Mix in a box" is much more expensive, $3-4 per box, and not as good.
Old 04-08-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We've had a bread maker for about 4 years and my wife makes bread all the time. We haven't bought bread at the store since we bought the maker. And nothing beats the taste and smell of fresh baked bread.

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
The bread does not keep as well as commercial bread. I freeze it after I slice it. Pull pieces out, give them five minutes to partially thaw, then toast it. You'll never know it was frozen. Or make a sandwich with frozen bread before you go to work, it will be fine by lunch.
We do this too (that's what happens when bread isn't all full of chemicals and preservatives). Like you said, after it's warmed up, you would never know it was frozen.