Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, according to the DMV, you do not need to pass the vision test to drive!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do u know anyone who did not pass the vision test, but the DMV allowed them to drive?
Yes
9.52%
No
71.43%
Not sure
9.52%
I used twikoff, and now i can drive
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I know someone who went to renew their driver's license which required her to retake the vision test again. Well, she failed, couldn't read any line at all (she did not even attempt to read it), and admitted this to them. Guess what the DMV did? They told her to get her vision checked and issued her a temporary 60 day license!

Another woman i know, she couldn't read anything and so she got her son to "help" her by doing the vision test for her, and they let her pass!

Do you know of anyone like this?
Old 04-07-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: So, according to the DMV, you do not need to pass the vision test to drive!

Reason 10,457 why flying is safer than driving. The last time I went in for my medical, I watched an older gentleman bomb his vision test. It was painful! Poor guy was just learning to fly, too.
Old 04-07-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On a related note, I was surprised to learn from someone years ago that you don't need a special license to drive an RV. I guess that makes sense in a way. However, I began to think that most of these vehicles were driven by older folks and if you've ever been in one of these, they wouldn't seem easy to navigate at all because of the size and the massive blind spots you'd have. Good to know you can also be near-blind and get behind the wheel of one of these "tanks"!
Old 04-07-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

NYC you can get a license without knowing how to read, there is a special test they give you
Old 04-07-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
On a related note, I was surprised to learn from someone years ago that you don't need a special license to drive an RV. I guess that makes sense in a way. However, I began to think that most of these vehicles were driven by older folks and if you've ever been in one of these, they wouldn't seem easy to navigate at all because of the size and the massive blind spots you'd have. Good to know you can also be near-blind and get behind the wheel of one of these "tanks"!
Unless it has changed there is the operator's license, chauffeur's license, and CDL.
It probably would be a good idea to have an RV operation test like the requirement for motorcycles.
Old 04-07-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently had to renew my driver's license. I was told to step to the machine and read one of the lines. I do not wear glasses, my vision is 20/20 uncorrected and I knew I would not have a problem.

As I finished reading I looked up for the person who was renewing my license, only to find that he had wandered off. He has/had no idea how I did on the test and apparently does not care.

My license was done several minutes later and I left realizing that the Virginia DMV is still the place to go for anything you need!
Old 04-07-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's clear to me that at least 25-30% of the people driving can't see, no surprise here.
Old 04-07-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that people should take their driver's test with someone talking excitedly at them, maybe through a headset. If they still ace the test, they would be allowed to drive while using a phone.
Old 04-07-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Unless it has changed there is the operator's license, chauffeur's license, and CDL.
It probably would be a good idea to have an RV operation test like the requirement for motorcycles.
So was that scene in From Dusk til Dawn wrong? Harvey Keitel said he had his CDL for the RV, and that's why they were allowed in the trucker bar.
Old 04-07-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
I recently had to renew my driver's license. I was told to step to the machine and read one of the lines. I do not wear glasses, my vision is 20/20 uncorrected and I knew I would not have a problem.

As I finished reading I looked up for the person who was renewing my license, only to find that he had wandered off. He has/had no idea how I did on the test and apparently does not care.
Something very similar happened to me the last time I had my license renewed - the lady was talking to a co-worker while I read the lines.
Old 04-07-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
Well, I know someone who went to renew their driver's license which required her to retake the vision test again. Well, she failed, couldn't read any line at all (she did not even attempt to read it), and admitted this to them. Guess what the DMV did? They told her to get her vision checked and issued her a temporary 60 day license!

Another woman i know, she couldn't read anything and so she got her son to "help" her by doing the vision test for her, and they let her pass!

Do you know of anyone like this?
based on your posts it seems you know a lot of women with "issues".
Old 04-07-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My birthday is during the spring allergy season. I guess it was about 15 or so years ago and they were still using letters in a machine thing and my eyes were bothering me alot so I guessed and said them as fast as I could and I passed. Maybe I was lucky or maybe because I said them fast.... Now its easy you just point to the direction of the arrows. Thanks aliens.
Old 04-07-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't really matter if they can see, since they don't look anyway.
Old 04-07-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
It doesn't really matter if they can see, since they don't look anyway.
Just as long as they can read what's on their ipod / cell phone/ texing machine while driving, that's the only thing that matters.
Old 04-07-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Back in my high school days, we were getting our physicals to play football. After the eye test, we noticed on my friend's exam sheet that the doctor wrote 20/20 for both eyes.

He has a glass eye.

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 04-07-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When my dad started driving in the 30s they didn't have any tests. He bought his first driver's license in a drugstore. Similiar to fishing license.
Old 04-07-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised at how little goes into getting, and maintaining, a driver's license.
Old 04-07-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
That's true for the smaller ones and may be true in some states. But I'm pretty sure the large, bus-sized RVs require a CDL. Like I said, it might depend on the state...
Old 04-07-09, 10:22 PM

When I got my license it was when my eyes were starting to get bad. I didn't fail the vision test, but I definetely had trouble with it. I remember the girl just kind of laughed about it and that was that. It was probably at least 2 years until I got glasses, but I could have used them driving sooner than that. I never drive with out them now.
Old 04-07-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last time I renewed, while I was getting to the 'tough' lines, the lady turned real quick and started talking to a friend. I read what I thought were the letters, and she didn't even realize it. Renewed without a problem.

= J