Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Picking up running again....and I need help with shoes, etc.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-06-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I decided to start running again....but I need some new shoes. I haven't bought sneakers for running in years (as I always used cross-trainers), but since I already have some decent pairs for lifting, I want to get ones just for running.

I have wide feet (12W, 13W), which can be tough to find sometimes. I also need good arch support.

Suggestions?

Also, any good websites with suggestions about building up distance? I'd like to eventually run a half marathon. I can do a 5k easily, probably a 10k and not die....but I am far from my college years, so I need something gradual. I figure I have 11 weeks until I move, so I should be able to make some decent progress during that time.
Old 04-06-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Picking up running again....and I need help with shoes, etc.

I thought that was your opening line for hot joggers you stop on the street.

BTW, I have problems finding good running shoes, too, as it seems most are made for narrow feet. There are a few that come W, but I haven't seen any instores so I can try them out.
Old 04-06-09, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is some great running information on YouTube, and even some "new shoes".

I'm on week 6 of the 9 week program C25K (couch to 5k). But obviously that is not advanced enough for you. You might want to check out the site Coolrunner that started the this program as they have a lot more stuff then just that.
Old 04-06-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

devilsho: I actually *do* know a hot jogger I'd like to meet....but this decision pre-dates me seeing her on Fri.

sdallnct: Thanks!
Old 04-06-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Go to a good running store near you and buy shoes there. Even if there prices suck, it is worth it for the TLC you should get the first time. If they are good, they will watch you run on a treadmill or comparable to determine your stride type (neutral, under-pronator, etc.) and get you shoes to match.

After that first time, you can save money by buying on Zappos or something.

There is a chain called Fleet Feet that is pretty decent. See if there is one near you:

http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/

If you are anywhere near Jacksonville, FL, 1st Place Sports is awesome.
Old 04-06-09, 08:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/
Old 04-06-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Go to a good running store near you and buy shoes there.
There is a place near where I work I may check out....I think they are a specialty running store. I've never been in, but they seem like they have a nice selection.

I have a history of shin splits (poor arch support) and ankle problems, so I'd *much* rather find the right shoes, even if they are $$.
Old 04-06-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i can't believe it...peddy's thread on shoes, only 4 posts in, it's already talking about meeting hot joggers.
Old 04-06-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

New balance make some pretty wide shoes. 4 EE is the widest width they made.
Old 04-06-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
i can't believe it...peddy's thread on shoes, only 4 posts in, it's already talking about meeting hot joggers.
I don't know her....but I will!

With that being said, I still need to figuring out this running stuff.
Old 04-07-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
This has a familiar ring to it. See post #22: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ondo-do-i.html
Old 04-07-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Running people. I need help with SHOES!
Old 04-07-09, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the exact same size feet (12 W). I swear by Asics Kayano's. They come in extra wide. I absolutely love them and I won't wear anything else. (and trust me, i've tried pretty much all of them, well, the ones that come in wide i should say)

It depends on how you run though. A good running store will help you determine which type of shoe you need.
Old 04-07-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My recommendation: start slow and easy. If you're just starting out, IMO you need to give your legs and feet plenty of time to build the fitness they'll need. Start with one mile if you haven't run in years, maybe maybe build to 2-3 mile runs after the first couple of weeks. Go easier than you think you should, stop before you start feeling tired. Don't do any speed work for at least a few months. Five years ago, I started too hard (even though I felt fine while running) and ended up with knee and achilles problems.

As far as shoes go, I don't think anyone can give you advice. I'd say you have to be prepared to spend a bit of money to try a bunch of different shoes until you find one you like. Even with extremely similar shoes, I've found huge variation. To use myself as an example: I tried at least 10 different shoes before settling on my favorite: Asics Landreth. The Asics Cumulus is an extremely similar shoe, most people would say it's essentially identical to the Landreth. It's also a lot easier to find than the Landreth, so I bought a piar and gave it a try. It didn't work: the Cumulus gave me foot pain after maybe two miles, the Landreth doesn't. I have no clue why one works and the other doesn't. Also, I wear size 9-D dress shoes and size 10-2E running shoes. I only discovered this after about two years of running. WTF? Like most runners, I'm basically batshit insane about my shoes. I've got to have the exactly correct socks (Balega Ventilators for the summer, Feetures for the winter), the exact right shoe (Asics changed their foam composition about two years ago and it drove me crazy) and lace it to the exact right tightness.

One piece of advice: once you find a shoe you like, buy four pairs of them and don't keep searching.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-07-09 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm with Hiro on Asics. I had used a lot of different brands and styles over the years and once I got a pair of Cumulus VIII's, I never looked back. Don't get too hung up on the brand though. Try on all the shoes you can and pick what feels right to you.
Old 04-07-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I 2nd the go to a running company store. They'll fit you right the first time, after that you can get those same shoes online for cheaper.
Old 04-07-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I worked in a sneaker store in a prior life, and my advice is do NOT listen to the advice of runners regarding specific shoes. Runners will tell you what worked for them, which may be entirely different than what worked for you. For ex, I used to have customers come in and say "my runner friend said I should try X shoe, they said it was great" when X shoe was great for a long distance light on their feet ultra marathoner (their friend), and not for the fat shmoe doing 10 miles a week (the customer).

Go to a good running store and listen to what the people there say (ideally they do some analysis of your gait).
Old 04-07-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
This has a familiar ring to it. See post #22: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ondo-do-i.html
yeah, but that was 22 posts in, and no comment previous to that. that thread must be an anomaly or something.
Old 04-07-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, go to a good running store.

In a good one they will make you run, in a treadmill or so, and record you. Then they will analyze the recording with you and show what kind of runner you are. If you are an over pronator or something like that. Then, they will ask you what kind of running you are going to do, if you going to run in a treadmill, outside, etc. You can then tell them that from experience you want some wide shoes. Then they will suggest you a pair of shoes. You'll try them and they will ask you to run a little bit with them outside to try them. Most of the time it only takes a couple of tries to find the perfect pair.

And that's the perfect way to find your right running shoes. And yeah, you only do that once, after that if you really like your shoes just get the same model over and over.
Old 04-07-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Don't listen to those guys. Chicks love dudes who run barefoot.
Old 04-07-09, 02:52 PM

Pedagogue,

You can take all the advise you want from here, but nothing beats the suggestions you can get from a professional store.

That being said, I was in your position about 4 months ago, with the exact same goal (half marathon). I am happy to tell you that I have since ran my half, and I signed up for another one in 3 weeks from now. The half I ran was really, really hard, especially because I didn't train entirely correct for it.

There are 3 base rules:
1. Do not train for speed (or pace). Train for distance or time.
2. Do not increase your distance by more than 10% per week
3. You only need to train (in a single run) for 2/3 of the distance of your race.

Comments:
For rule 1: The idea is here that (especially in the beginning) your body has to get used to the incessant pounding on the knees, hip, ankles etc that running brings. These areas are the first that will get hit hard, NOT the cardio vascular. So, run slow, and do this for a certain amount of time or a distance. This will get you through the first couple of weeks.

For rule 2: The reasoning is similar to the one from rule 1. Your body is not used to running, so you have to condition it. By taking too much on in the beginning (you increase your exercise time too much), you will injure yourself. Give your body time to get used to it.

For rule 3: Many people have told me that studies have shown that 2/3 of the distance is enough. You can train for more if you want, but do NOT train the complete distance of your target run (21 km). Run maximum of like 18 or 19 km. On the race day, you will find enough energy to run those last couple of kilometers, and it gives you the excitement that you never ran this far.

As far as distance running, you can do something along these lines. Start with 9km per week, and keep increasing by 10% every week. Do 3 runs per week. The "long" run should be done at a slow pace (you should be able to talk during the long run). The middle run should be at normal pace. The short runs (I know, it contradicts rule 1) should be a slightly higher pace than your race pace. Note that the first 6 weeks do not have long, middle and short races. The first 6 weeks should be "survival mode". Just try and do the runs. The first weeks are the hardest. Here is a schedule that illustrates what you could use to train.

The week before the race should be a resting week. Do 2 or 3 short runs (4 km or so each), so your body recovers for the actual race.

Week Total distance Run1 Run2 Run3
1 9 3 3 3
2 9.9 4 3 3
3 10.89 4 4 3
4 11.98 4 4 4
5 13.18 5 4 4
6 14.49 5 5 4.5
7 15.94 7 4 5
8 17.54 9 5.5 3
9 19.29 12 4.5 3
10 21.22 14 4 3
11 23.34 16.5 4 3
12 12 4 4 4
13 21 21

(edit: I had everything in a nice table format, but clearly it doesn't work well in vbulletin).

Good luck. Trust me, it is a great feeling being able to run longer distances.

Last edited by LolaRennt; 04-07-09 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

New Balance 992 (993 now, I think) come in wide sizes and they are rated well.
Old 04-07-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great tips Lola.

And yeah, for beginners, and even medium runners, you don't need to run the whole distance in your training. I've run 3 half marathons and I've never ran more than 10 miles in my trainings for those races. Again, that's for beginners, people with experience have a different kind of training.

And yeah, the hardest part of beginners is to not run too fast. Yes, you can run 6 miles today. But can you run 6 miles 4 times a week for 2 months? You have to gradually increase the work you give to your body.
Old 04-07-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

we used to run a lot in the army and my feet hurt until i started buying Nike Air Max shoes. back in the 1990's they were $150, but well worth it. everyone who bought them was very happy with them and said all kinds of pains went away
Old 04-07-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks all!

It will be interesting to see how my body does with distance, as the vast majority of my running involves playing lacrosse....which typically is sprinting. I usually do 45-60 minutes on an elliptical at an intermediate pace....though that doesn't account for the pounding my joints will take. I figure if I go out right now that my first couple of miles I'll be fine, but at 4-5 I'll probably be hurting something fierce.

I'm going to check out the running store later this week and see how it goes.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 04-07-09 at 03:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.