Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

6.7 earthquake hits 53 miles from Rome, Italy!

Old 04-05-09, 09:08 PM

6.7 earthquake hits 53 miles from Rome, Italy!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor..._Central_Italy

Of 6.7 Magnitude Rocks Italy

Breaking News3:03am UK, Monday April 06, 2009

An earthquake of 6.7 magnitude has rocked central Italy, 53 miles northeast of Rome, according to the US Geological Survey.

A Reuters correspondent in Rome said he and his family had been woken by the quake.

No other details were immediately available.

Rafael Abreu hael US Geological Survey told Sky News the quake happened at 3.32am local time.

"This is a significant earthquake," he said. "This is a shallow quake but there is the possibility of damage.

"We haven't had any information yet coming from the epicentre area."

More to follow...
This just happened in the last 30 minutes, so there are very little details right now.

I was in Rome in July of 2007 and there are so many old buildings there that this earthquake could have caused a lot of injuries and damage. I hope not!

Chris
Old 04-05-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: 6.7 earthquake hits 53 miles from Rome, Italy!

Are the ruins ruined?

sad to hear loss of life.

Last edited by Talkin2Phil; 04-06-09 at 12:58 PM. Reason: wrath of nature
Old 04-05-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Unfortunately, The Vatican is still intact.
Old 04-05-09, 11:20 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7984867.stm

Italy Quake: Two Dead As Buildings Collapse
Breaking News5:04am UK, Monday April 06, 2009

At least two people have died and others are trapped after an earthquake of 6.3 magnitude rocked central Italy.

Epicentre was just over 50 miles northeast of Rome

The quake struck 53 miles northeast of Rome, said the US Geological Survey.

Some residents in the old town of l'Aquila, east of Rome in the mountainous Abruzzo region, ran out into the streets as buildings in the centre of the town collapsed.

Journalist Nick Pisa told Sky News: "A students' halls of residence has collapsed and emergency services say people are trapped there.

"A church bell town has also collapsed. One local council member has described the centre of the town being strewn with rubble and masonry. He could hear people calling for help.

"He said he had been told that a man and a woman had been killed."

Officials later confirmed two fatalities.

'My House Started Shaking'

"People are being told not to go to the area - not to block the roads to the area."

People in Rome were woken by the quake at 3.30am local time. Furniture rattled and car alarms went off.

Sky News viewer John Murray, who lives 60 kilometres north of Rome, said: "My house started to shake - it went on for about 30 seconds. I ran outside. The dogs were making a terrific sound but everything seemed ok.

"I went back inside and the water and electricity was working. I haven't felt any aftershocks yet."

Rafael Abreu, of the US Geological Survey, told Sky News the quake happened at 3.32am local time.

"This is a significant earthquake," he said. "This is a shallow quake but there is definitely a possibility of damage and even injuries.

"It is going to depend on what type of buildings are in the area.

"We haven't had any information yet coming from the epicentre area."

The quake was the latest and strongest in a series to hit the l'Aquila area on Sunday and Monday.

Earthquakes can be particularly dangerous in parts of Italy where centuries-old buildings are left in disrepair.
Chris
Old 04-05-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil View Post
Are the ruins ruined?
Old 04-05-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-06-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Unfortunately, The Vatican is still intact.
This wasn't the first reply, and CRM114 hasn't chimed in yet? You guys are slipping.
Old 04-06-09, 10:53 AM

And now for something completely serious!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090406/...italy_quake_21

More than 90 dead in Italian earthquake

By Deepa Babington Deepa Babington
1 hr 23 mins ago

L'AQUILA, Italy (Reuters) A powerful earthquake struck a swathe of central Italy as residents slept on Monday morning, killing more than 90 people and flattening whole towns.

At least 50,000 people have been made homeless, officials said.

Most of the dead were in L'Aquila, a 13th-century mountain city about 100 km (60 miles) east of Rome, and surrounding towns and villages in the Abruzzo region.

"Some towns in the area have been virtually destroyed in their entirety," Gianfranco Fini, speaker of the lower house of parliament, said as MPs observed a moment of silence.

Ansa news agency, quoting rescue workers, said the death toll had reached 92 nearly 12 hours after the quake struck.

National Civil Protection head Guido Bertolaso confirmed that more than 70 people were dead but said official figures would not be updated before families were informed.

Most of the dead were in L'Aquila, a 13th-century mountain city about 100 km (60 miles) east of Rome, and surrounding towns and villages in the Abruzzo region.

Civil Protection Department officials said up to 50,000 people may have been made homeless in some 26 cities and towns. More than 1,500 people were injured and thousands of houses, churches and buildings collapsed or were damaged.

"I woke up hearing what sounded like a bomb," said L'Aquila resident Angela Palumbo, 87.

"We managed to escape with things falling all around us. Everything was shaking, furniture falling. I don't remember ever seeing anything like this in my life."

Rubble was strewn throughout the city of 68,000 people and nearby towns, blocking roads and hampering rescue teams. Old women wailed and residents armed with nothing but bare hands helped firefighters and rescue workers tear through the rubble.

In the small town of Onna, 10 people were killed, said a Reuters photographer who saw a mother and her infant daughter carried away in the same coffin.

Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi canceled a trip to Moscow and declared a national emergency, which would free up funds for aid and rebuilding. Pope Benedict said he was saying a special prayer for the victims.

Older houses and buildings made of stone, particularly in outlying villages that have not seen much restoration, collapsed like straw houses.

Hospitals appealed for help from doctors and nurses throughout Italy. The smell of gas filled some parts of the mountain towns and villages as mains ruptured.

Berlusconi told reporters in L'Aquila that tent cities and field hospitals would be set up there and hotels on the Adriatic coast would be requisitioned to shelter the homeless.

Residents of Rome, which is rarely hit by seismic activity, were woken by the quake, which rattled furniture and swayed lights in most of central Italy. It struck shortly after 3:30 a.m. (0130 GMT) and registered between 5.8 and 6.3 magnitude.

"MY FATHER IS SURELY DEAD"

"When the quake hit, I rushed out to my father's house and opened the main door and everything had collapsed. My father is surely dead. I called for help but no one was around," said Camillo Berardi in L'Aquila.

A resident standing by an apartment block that was reduced to the height of an adult said: "This building was four storeys high."

In another part of the city, residents tried to hush the wailing of grief to try to pinpoint the sound of a crying baby.

Part of a university residence and a hotel collapsed in L'Aquila and at least one person was still trapped.

At least four Romanesque and Renaissance churches and a 16th century castle were damaged, the Culture Ministry said.

Part of the nave of the Basilica of Santa Maria di Collemaggio, one of the area's most famous churches, collapsed. To the north, the belltower of the lavish Renaissance Basilica of San Bernardino also crumbled.

Bridges and highways in the mountainous area were closed as a precaution.

Weeks before the disaster, an Italian scientist had predicted a major quake around L'Aquila, based on concentrations of radon gas around seismically active areas.

Seismologist Gioacchino Giuliani was reported to police for "spreading alarm" and was forced to remove his findings from the Internet.

Civil Protection reassured locals at the end of March that tremors being felt were "absolutely normal" for a seismic area.

The quake was the latest and strongest in a series to hit the L'Aquila area on Sunday and Monday.

Earthquakes can be particularly dangerous in parts of Italy because so many buildings are centuries-old. About 2,700 people died in an earthquake in the south in 1980.

(Writing by Philip Pullella; Additional reporting by Reuters Rome bureau; Editing by Angus MacSwan)
Chris
Old 04-06-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did the Tower of Pisa fall over? That is in Rome, right?
Old 04-06-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
Not surprisingly, it is in Pisa. About 160 miles away, I believe.
Old 04-06-09, 11:30 AM

Old 04-06-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Not surprisingly, it is in Pisa.
Old 04-06-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully the Great Wall of China wasn't damaged. That's in Rome, right?
Old 04-06-09, 12:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Sad loss of life.

Nature has it's way though.
Old 04-06-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
More proof Grad School does not instill knowledge
Old 04-06-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
More proof Grad School does not instill knowledge
I didn't study history, how was I supposed to know they moved it!
Old 04-07-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They just had a 5.5 aftershock about an hour ago that unfortunately did a bit more damage, destroying or further damaging a church in L'Aquila. I don't know any real details, I just heard about it from friends in the area. They said it was short, but felt strong too them, although I think everyone is understandably on edge.
Old 04-07-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A bunch of 500 year old mud buildings collapsed. Big surprise. By the pictures on the news Italy looks like the Mexico of Europe.
Old 04-07-09, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower View Post
A bunch of 500 year old mud buildings collapsed. Big surprise. By the pictures on the news Italy looks like the Mexico of Europe.
When I went there in 2007 our first stop was Palermo, Sicily. I was shocked at how run down that part of Italy was. It was actually quite depressing there. I guess the farther north you went, the better things looked. And of course the Vatican looked spotless and very golden!

Chris
Old 04-07-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrpayroll View Post
When I went there in 2007 our first stop was Palermo, Sicily. I was shocked at how run down that part of Italy was. It was actually quite depressing there. I guess the farther north you went, the better things looked. And of course the Vatican looked spotless and very golden!

Chris
it's like The Venetian in Vegas looks just like Venice, but clean