DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Whats a good smaller-sized pickup truck? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/552416-whats-good-smaller-sized-pickup-truck.html)

namrfumot 03-28-09 02:10 PM

Whats a good smaller-sized pickup truck?

Looking at something like a Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma with an extended cab.

What other models should I be looking at?

Cusm 03-28-09 03:04 PM

Re: Whats a good smaller-sized pickup truck?

There is also the Dodge Dakota that has a lifetime warranty, which could equal out to about a 90 day warranty at Chrysler's current rate of decline.

There is also the Honda Ridgeline, and if you are interested in American Ford Ranger or Explorer Sport Trac and the Chevy Colorado. If I was in the market for one though Toyota would be my first choice followed by the Nissan.

Artman 03-28-09 03:43 PM

I've had my 99 Tacoma for eight yrs now, and will probably have it four more. Other than just regular maintenance I haven't had any issues. I love it! The extended cab is still pretty tight - big enough to fit people in if needed, but small enough that it gets me out of having to be "the driver" all the time. :)

I would definitely recommend 4wd, v6. It's light in the back, though I imagine that's pretty normal for trucks.

jfoobar 03-28-09 04:12 PM

The Toyota 4.0 V6 engine is awesome, at least in my opinion.

Dr Mabuse 03-28-09 04:13 PM

Toyota.

bdshort 03-28-09 04:30 PM

I'd say Toyota or Nissan. I'm in a spot where I'd love to have a truck, and if a Tacoma (V6 4x4 with 4 doors) shows up on the local used lot I'd have a hard time keeping myself from buying it. My current car is almost paid off and I'd kind of like no payments for a while!

Cardiff Giant11 03-28-09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 9354996)
There is also the Dodge Dakota that has a lifetime warranty, which could equal out to about a 90 day warranty at Chrysler's current rate of decline.

There is also the Honda Ridgeline, and if you are interested in American Ford Ranger or Explorer Sport Trac and the Chevy Colorado. If I was in the market for one though Toyota would be my first choice followed by the Nissan.

The warranty on the Dodge is lifetime power train only and isn't transferable (if you plan to sell it). They pretty much had to do this because of the crazy number of engine and tranny problems they had (the Rams too). I'd steer clear. Tacoma is a good pick. The older Tacoma/Hilux is basically indestructible. See below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

namrfumot 03-28-09 05:01 PM

What are some good web sites to look for used autos? autotrader.com has nothing anymore

Psi 03-28-09 06:14 PM

Toyota Tacoma.

I had a Ford Ranger for 12 years. It ran very well and required little maintenance or repair, just like a Japanese vehicle :) But Ford stopped updating it and stopped production last year.

One good site is Edmunds.com

Bluelitespecial 03-28-09 06:41 PM

Why did Ford stop making the Ranger? I had one for about three years and absolutly loved it, I would have loved to own an extended cab Ranger down the road. Oh well I'll just get a Toyota or Nissan someday, since those were the first two trucks I owned.

Psi 03-28-09 06:58 PM

They lost that business, just as they messed up so many other product lines. The Ranger was the best small pick-up truck at one time in the early 90s.

But while auto companies do a major redesign every 5 years or so, Ford focused on the big trucks like the F-150, and left the Ranger pretty much unchanged for 10 years, and it got bypassed by Toyota and Honda, They were trying to position an Explorer SportTrak as a small truck a few years ago, but I don't know if it still sells or not.

Edited to add: Maybe they are not stopping production after all: http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...n-to-2011.html

Ford Ranger Production Extended Through 2011
By: Mike Levine Posted: 07-24-08 08:09 PT

Ford Motor Company has announced that production of the Ranger compact pickup will continue through 2011 at its Twin Cities (Minn.) Assembly Plant, to meet renewed demand for the aged hauler. Production had been expected to halt by the end of 2009.

Recently, Minnesota Sen. Norm Coleman personally appealed to Ford CEO Allan Mullaly to keep Ranger production going because of increased fuel prices and lower demand for full-size pickups.

Ranger sales have been up most of 2008 as Ford targeted sales incentives on the small truck in regions where the truck is popular.

The Ford Ranger has been in production since 1983.

GoldenJCJ 03-28-09 07:34 PM

I too am looking for a smaller pick-up truck. I checked out both Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier and I prefer the Frontier, personally. The Tocoma just seemed too plain when I saw it in person. The Frontier Nismo I test drove was awesome.

funkyryno 03-29-09 01:43 AM

I have a '96 Ford Ranger -- pretty decent little truck. It's boxy and ugly looking, but very simple and easy to maintain.

If I had the money, though, I'd get a Toyota Tacoma.

4KRG 03-29-09 08:43 AM

Right now you should be looking at a used F150, no one wants them and the price is highly negotiable :)

Psi 03-29-09 09:02 AM

Even the new F150s, not many people want them now :)

Ford has always favored the F150 for some reason. A base F150 doesn't cost much more than a small pick-up truck like a Ranger or Tacoma. The reason I got a Ranger was that I really didn't need a bigger truck, and couldn't justify the lower mileage and the bigger space it would take in the garage or on the driveway. But the purchase price of a F150 wasn't much higher.

TGM 03-29-09 09:05 AM

I love my 2008 Chevy Colorado extended cab

scorpion 03-29-09 10:08 AM

You can't go wrong with the Tacoma. I've had my '01 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Xtracab for 8 years and love it. I've had to do no work to it other than the regular check ups. Go with the 'yota! :up:

kvrdave 03-29-09 12:41 PM

Assuming there is a reason for a small pickup (like just liking the sporty look) then I would go with the Toyota. However, given the price of the Toyota (or Colorado, or Dakota, etc), I would probably just move up to a full sized one. But if this is also for getting in and out of traffic in the concrete jungle, etc., I can see not wanting a full sized pickup. But given the small difference in price, the small difference in gas mileage, and the huge difference in utility, I'd go full sized.

Don't do the Honda Ridgeline. The all-wheel drive system lacks a lot. The V-6 is underpowered (imo) for the size of the rig, and the gas mileage is nothing great.

arminius 03-29-09 01:15 PM

Its small and economical. and Tonka tuff!
http://www.wclittleton.com/pickup%201980%20007.jpg

The Bus 03-29-09 01:31 PM

Hilux or nothing.

Bluelitespecial 03-29-09 01:46 PM

Nice to see the Ranger will be coming back, its a great truck and much easier to fillup when gas prices go up.

Mankal 03-29-09 03:00 PM

We had an 83 Ranger, but it died a sudden death with a broken transmission

mndtrp 03-29-09 06:12 PM

I agree with the Tacoma posts, as I purchased one last year. Runs fine, and I hope to have it for quite a while.

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 03-29-09 06:24 PM

Taco

Kicker_of_Elves 03-29-09 11:39 PM

Just got my 08' Tacoma back in Oct and love it. :up:

SPiRAL 03-29-09 11:45 PM

Tacoma.

Sebring98 03-30-09 08:44 AM

The Tacoma and Frontier are tops in their class. They really can't be touched.

I've had my Tacoma for a little over a year (2008 Access Cab, TRD Sport package), and I love it. The Tacoma's are the best looking truck on the road too, IMO.

Kicker_of_Elves 03-30-09 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sebring98 (Post 9357327)
I've had my Tacoma for a little over a year (2008 Access Cab, TRD Sport package), and I love it.

I got the Off Road Package so i've been looking at switching hoods to the sport hood, cheapest i've gotten it priced is $535 shipped and still have to pay $200-$300 to get the thing painted. :(

OP, if you decide to get a Tacoma from the dealer, get them to throw in the TRD Catback Exhaust and TRD CAI (Cold Air Intake). -biggrin-

Here's mine (after switching out the chrome headlights for blacked out ones):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...doutlights.jpg

sinned 06-09-21 11:39 PM

For just announced the Maverick this week, the first true compact truck to be made available in quite a few years. It'll be available in Fall 2021. What makes it really attractive is that it's base price is $20K, and even going up to the higher XLT trim will only set you back about $23K (without the options). Of course, I expect the dealers to jack up the price with all their installed options at 600% profit when this comes out. Question, has anyone ever reserved or pre-ordered a car on the manufacturer's website? I'm thinking that if I go this way, I would pay sticker price but avoid all those dealers fees. Or would I still be subject to all these dealer's fees when picking up the truck?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8f202b3eeb.jpg

Cusm 06-10-21 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by sinned (Post 13943878)
Question, has anyone ever reserved or pre-ordered a car on the manufacturer's website? I'm thinking that if I go this way, I would pay sticker price but avoid all those dealers fees. Or would I still be subject to all these dealer's fees when picking up the truck?

The Ford website will send you to a local dealer once you price out your vehicle. The dealers have established strict laws in most states that only allow new car sales to go through dealers and not manufacturers, one issue Tesla has been fighting in many states.

andicus 06-10-21 09:28 AM

For just announced the Maverick this week, the first true compact truck to be made available in quite a few years. It'll be available in Fall 2021. What makes it really attractive is that it's base price is $20K, and even going up to the higher XLT trim will only set you back about $23K (without the options). Of course, I expect the dealers to jack up the price with all their installed options at 600% profit when this comes out. Question, has anyone ever reserved or pre-ordered a car on the manufacturer's website? I'm thinking that if I go this way, I would pay sticker price but avoid all those dealers fees. Or would I still be subject to all these dealer's fees when picking up the truck?

If they made a 2 (or 3) door version with a longer bed, I'd be interested. Alas...

John Galt 06-10-21 11:32 AM

(Other than my Tesla Truck deposit) I've never preordered a vehicle before, but I did spec out the Colorado I bought last year on Chevy's website. They displayed a list of those trucks across the country and where they were in stock for you to contact those dealers to start negotiations. There were only about two dozen Diesel Colorados at the time, so it made that part pretty easy. I found a dealer in Michigan that was doing employee pricing and nobody else nearby would even come close to matching so I ended up flying to Michigan and driving 1,000 miles home.

LurkerDan 06-10-21 12:35 PM

The Maverick is interesting, the hybrid option gets crazy gas mileage (but hybrid not yet available with AWD). Still, a 4.5' bed hardly qualifies as a pickup, it's really an SUV with an open air cargo area.

Vibiana 06-10-21 05:27 PM

I've heard Hot Wheels are good...

Sdallnct 06-13-21 09:21 PM

There are a couple small ones coming out.

Way, way back in the day, to quote Jimmy Buffett “I had a $100 pickup”. It was a tiny Toyota with a small 4 cylinder engine and manual transmission. I loved that damn thing! And it just kept running. I bought with like 100,000 miles and sold it for what I paid for it after putting another 40,000 miles on it. And that was with minor rust, bad shocks and needing tires. I didn’t even bother cleaning it when when dude came to look at.

You can’t compare these “mini” trucks to a F150 or whatever.

They are more like open end mini-SUV’s. Think hitting up Home Depot for garden stuff. Tailgating. Some camping off fire roads.

They are not serious haulers, pullers or off roaders.. Think a Subaru Forester with an open back. Except many come standard with front wheel drive. Some like that Maverick have an option for AWD/4-wheel drive.

With appropriate expeditions, use and need, they can be fantastic.

AGuyNamedMike 06-14-21 11:45 AM

Indeed, these compact trucks are solid choices. If I didn't need to pull a heavy trailer or carry a flat load of plywood and drywall I'd be perfectly happy with one (don't listen, my darling Tundra!). Other than those two tasks, the other hauling I do could certainly be handled by a Subaru Brat or Chevy Luv, etc.