DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Whats a good smaller-sized pickup truck? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/552416-whats-good-smaller-sized-pickup-truck.html)

SPiRAL 03-29-09 11:45 PM

Re: Whats a good smaller-sized pickup truck?

Tacoma.

Sebring98 03-30-09 08:44 AM

The Tacoma and Frontier are tops in their class. They really can't be touched.

I've had my Tacoma for a little over a year (2008 Access Cab, TRD Sport package), and I love it. The Tacoma's are the best looking truck on the road too, IMO.

Kicker_of_Elves 03-30-09 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sebring98 (Post 9357327)
I've had my Tacoma for a little over a year (2008 Access Cab, TRD Sport package), and I love it.

I got the Off Road Package so i've been looking at switching hoods to the sport hood, cheapest i've gotten it priced is $535 shipped and still have to pay $200-$300 to get the thing painted. :(

OP, if you decide to get a Tacoma from the dealer, get them to throw in the TRD Catback Exhaust and TRD CAI (Cold Air Intake). -biggrin-

Here's mine (after switching out the chrome headlights for blacked out ones):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...doutlights.jpg

sinned 06-09-21 11:39 PM

For just announced the Maverick this week, the first true compact truck to be made available in quite a few years. It'll be available in Fall 2021. What makes it really attractive is that it's base price is $20K, and even going up to the higher XLT trim will only set you back about $23K (without the options). Of course, I expect the dealers to jack up the price with all their installed options at 600% profit when this comes out. Question, has anyone ever reserved or pre-ordered a car on the manufacturer's website? I'm thinking that if I go this way, I would pay sticker price but avoid all those dealers fees. Or would I still be subject to all these dealer's fees when picking up the truck?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8f202b3eeb.jpg

Cusm 06-10-21 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by sinned (Post 13943878)
Question, has anyone ever reserved or pre-ordered a car on the manufacturer's website? I'm thinking that if I go this way, I would pay sticker price but avoid all those dealers fees. Or would I still be subject to all these dealer's fees when picking up the truck?

The Ford website will send you to a local dealer once you price out your vehicle. The dealers have established strict laws in most states that only allow new car sales to go through dealers and not manufacturers, one issue Tesla has been fighting in many states.

andicus 06-10-21 09:28 AM

For just announced the Maverick this week, the first true compact truck to be made available in quite a few years. It'll be available in Fall 2021. What makes it really attractive is that it's base price is $20K, and even going up to the higher XLT trim will only set you back about $23K (without the options). Of course, I expect the dealers to jack up the price with all their installed options at 600% profit when this comes out. Question, has anyone ever reserved or pre-ordered a car on the manufacturer's website? I'm thinking that if I go this way, I would pay sticker price but avoid all those dealers fees. Or would I still be subject to all these dealer's fees when picking up the truck?

If they made a 2 (or 3) door version with a longer bed, I'd be interested. Alas...

John Galt 06-10-21 11:32 AM

(Other than my Tesla Truck deposit) I've never preordered a vehicle before, but I did spec out the Colorado I bought last year on Chevy's website. They displayed a list of those trucks across the country and where they were in stock for you to contact those dealers to start negotiations. There were only about two dozen Diesel Colorados at the time, so it made that part pretty easy. I found a dealer in Michigan that was doing employee pricing and nobody else nearby would even come close to matching so I ended up flying to Michigan and driving 1,000 miles home.

LurkerDan 06-10-21 12:35 PM

The Maverick is interesting, the hybrid option gets crazy gas mileage (but hybrid not yet available with AWD). Still, a 4.5' bed hardly qualifies as a pickup, it's really an SUV with an open air cargo area.

Vibiana 06-10-21 05:27 PM

I've heard Hot Wheels are good...

Sdallnct 06-13-21 09:21 PM

There are a couple small ones coming out.

Way, way back in the day, to quote Jimmy Buffett “I had a $100 pickup”. It was a tiny Toyota with a small 4 cylinder engine and manual transmission. I loved that damn thing! And it just kept running. I bought with like 100,000 miles and sold it for what I paid for it after putting another 40,000 miles on it. And that was with minor rust, bad shocks and needing tires. I didn’t even bother cleaning it when when dude came to look at.

You can’t compare these “mini” trucks to a F150 or whatever.

They are more like open end mini-SUV’s. Think hitting up Home Depot for garden stuff. Tailgating. Some camping off fire roads.

They are not serious haulers, pullers or off roaders.. Think a Subaru Forester with an open back. Except many come standard with front wheel drive. Some like that Maverick have an option for AWD/4-wheel drive.

With appropriate expeditions, use and need, they can be fantastic.

AGuyNamedMike 06-14-21 11:45 AM

Indeed, these compact trucks are solid choices. If I didn't need to pull a heavy trailer or carry a flat load of plywood and drywall I'd be perfectly happy with one (don't listen, my darling Tundra!). Other than those two tasks, the other hauling I do could certainly be handled by a Subaru Brat or Chevy Luv, etc.