Reload this Page >

Mahjong anyone?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Mahjong anyone?

Old 03-20-09, 08:39 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mahjong anyone?

Every time my Asian Cult Film Society (4 single/divorced white guys) sees a wacky Chinese action comedy where characters are playing mahjong, we always say "Gee, that actually looks like fun."

Someone else will counter with "It looks freakin' hard." Or "Those sets look too expensive." Or "It's a game for old ladies." (We counter a LOT.)

Anyone here play? Is it hard to learn? How did you learn? Books? How-to videos? Your neighbor's Chinese granny?

It seems fundamentally simple on the surface, but after reading up on Wikipedia and re-watching "Kung Fu Mahjong 2", it looks like it could also be really hard.

We need a change from poker night.

Uncle
Old 03-20-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Mahjong anyone?

no.....
Old 03-20-09, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a really nice set almost a decade ago and I've played a couple of times. It's really not that difficult once you get into it. I just bought the online Mahjong on the 360 though which has a nice tutorial. If you have an Xbox live account look into that.
Old 03-20-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not too hard to learn. Just like Texas Hold'em poker. Everybody can play it but can you play against the experienced folks. That is the challenge.
Old 03-20-09, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's easier than poker. You just have to recognize the different patterns that numbers from 1 to 9. But I don't think you'll have problem with that since the American version always has the little number 1 to 9 on the top right corner of the tile. The basic premise is to make 3 of a kind or pattern of 3 sequential number plus a set of two. Once you got it all, you win the round. The strategy, however, to get to those patterns are a little harder.
Old 03-20-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I used to play and am thinking getting back into it because I've found some local people who are playing. I used to have a PC version where you play against other computer players. (There are many video games which adverstise themselves as "Mahjong," but they're matching tiles games. Not true Mahjong.)

Here's the real deal:

http://www.answers.com/topic/hong-kong-mahjong-pro

The game does a good job of teaching you how to play, but I wonder if it would work on a XP or Vista computer.
Old 03-20-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=17435

This looks to be the same game I talked about. You could give it a try.
Old 03-20-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i only play strip mahjong
Old 03-20-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife is Filipina and when her family comes over for Mahjong I get my earplugs. It becomes a loud, boisterous, contentious fight to the death with plenty of drinking, swearing and tiles clanking.
Old 03-20-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is fairly easy to learn. I learned by playing on the computer during the early 1990s. It can get really loud in a real game though. Also be aware that there are apparently different "versions" of the game. Chinese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese versions have different rules.
Old 03-20-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone taught me recently and I didn't find it very interesting. The scoring seemed silly and it didn't really seem like a game that would satisfy someone who likes competitive games. Seemed more about luck than strategy.
Old 03-20-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never played, but my Mom used to. From what I can tell, it seems relatively similar to Gin.
Old 03-21-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts

I've owned different versions on videogame systems over the years, from the Sega Master System to the Nintendo DS. It's always basically matching two of a kind from different shaped piles. I can play for hours when the mood strikes me.
Old 03-21-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I've owned different versions on videogame systems over the years, from the Sega Master System to the Nintendo DS. It's always basically matching two of a kind from different shaped piles. I can play for hours when the mood strikes me.
That's not really mahjong.
Old 03-21-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also look into Big 2.
Old 03-21-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Someone taught me recently and I didn't find it very interesting. The scoring seemed silly and it didn't really seem like a game that would satisfy someone who likes competitive games. Seemed more about luck than strategy.
Noobs generally go for the quick win so not much strategy there. More experienced players go for winning hands with higher point value. The strategy part is noticing what hands your opponents are building to minimize discarding tiles they need.
Old 03-21-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember playing in my younger days, and having the 'official' mahjongg society cards with all of the scoring hands. Each year they would introduce a bunch of hands that use digits of the current year, in addition to the 'regular' hands. It is kind of like gin, and is more of a card game that happens to be played with tiles. You draw, discard, and try to form good scoring hands.
Old 03-21-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Easy to learn but there's certainly strategy involved. I picked it up quickly. Those who play need to seek out gambler's anonymous because they can play and gamble until the crack of dawn.
Old 03-22-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

How did mahjong morph into the tile matching game that most people seem to associate to the title?
Old 03-23-09, 12:26 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Ive been meaning to learn how to play for years now
Old 03-23-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
How did mahjong morph into the tile matching game that most people seem to associate to the title?
Same way that Kung Pao chicken turns into a Chinese dish.