Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Your opinion on red light cameras...

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Your opinion on red light cameras...
I think they reduce accidents and are a good thing
17.32%
I think they are only there to make the city money
74.80%
I'm not sure and don't really care
7.87%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

If you look around on the net you'll see about an equal number of reports that say they reduce accidents and ones that say they actually cause more. So.. What do you think?

Last edited by General Zod; 03-11-09 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-11-09, 04:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Your opinion on red light cameras...

I didn't realize they were intended to reduce accidents. I thought they were there to allow the city to issue tickets without a cop witnessing the running of the light.
Old 03-11-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just implant GPS chips in cars that show when the car is speeding, not stopping at stop signs, etc. Then each month we can get a bill on all the laws that have been broken.

Then no one will die!

Or, make traffic fines 5x the price. It worked in Virginia.
Old 03-11-09, 05:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I, personally, like knowing that they exist. I drive through far less yellow lights now.

I also like when the crosswalk indicator lights have a countdown.
Old 03-11-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think we have any here in Lansing, but going on how many times I see people go through red lights right in front of city cops and them not doing anything I guess saving lives and upholding the law isn't really important to them. Making money would be.
Old 03-11-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm the only person so far to vote that they reduce accidents. Am I also the only regular pedestrian that's voted?
Old 03-11-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I didn't realize they were intended to reduce accidents. I thought they were there to allow the city to issue tickets without a cop witnessing the running of the light.
Well the thought goes that having the camera there is like having a cop there. If people see the cop they typically don't chance running the light and so it goes with the camera. And less people running red lights = less potential for accidents. Anytime I've ever seen them proposed they always site public safety and less accidents.They do mention that it does have the advantage of freeing up the officers to do other things instead of writing tickets (Like racial profiling and breaking into random houses and killing people).
Old 03-11-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My state is supposed to be bringing them back, sometime. I never got one before when they had them. I have noticed a general increase of people running red lights lately so its fine with me. I just worry about the person behind me who wants to go through.

I have been hearing things about speed cameras and I dont like that.
Old 03-11-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Old 03-11-09, 05:41 PM

Personally, I think they're more of a way to make some extra money for the city rather than serve much else of a purpose. There probably aren't too many instances where one could say "If it hadn't been for that red light camera, that car would've hit me!" The car is either going to stop or it isn't. The only difference is you'll have a nice cell-phone quality picture/video of the accident.

I can certainly see how they'd increase the number of minor accidents, however. Nowadays, instead of speeding up when the light turns yellow like the good ol' days, people are more likely to slam on their brakes no matter what the distance/speed is. I know I'm certainly guilty of "I don't want to pay $100!!! *skreeeeeech*" on at least a few occasions.

In Chicago, they've been popping up just about everywhere the last few years. There's no way in hell every one of these intersections had enough accidents to warrant a camera. That's just a guise to get people to go along with it. "Oh, the children will be safer now!"

So yeah, I'm not really a big fan of the cameras, although I guess I can live with them since I don't drive like a maniac. Also, considering that in the near future the average parking meter out here will possibly run $6.50 an HOUR, it's certainly not the worst thing happening.
Old 03-11-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think they're completely ridiculous but not as ridiculous as speeding cameras.
Old 03-11-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They need to get the cameras to work properly first, they need to make the owner of the car responsible even if they weren't driving the car (except in cases where the car was stolen), and they need to raise the fines to where it's more than a slap on the wrist.
Old 03-11-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I don't run red lights, I wish they were everywhere. A little comeuppance visited upon people who drive like they own the road is a very satisfying thing to those of us who obey the rules.
Old 03-11-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
they need to make the owner of the car responsible even if they weren't driving the car (except in cases where the car was stolen)
OK, that's just ridiculous.
Old 03-11-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Since I don't run red lights, I wish they were everywhere. A little comeuppance visited upon people who drive like they own the road is a very satisfying thing to those of us who obey the rules.
You were the hall monitor at school.. weren't you?

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
They need to get the cameras to work properly first, they need to make the owner of the car responsible even if they weren't driving the car (except in cases where the car was stolen), and they need to raise the fines to where it's more than a slap on the wrist.
Well out in my area it's like a $384 fine (or something close to that) and when you add up the court costs and whatnot it comes out to a nice even $500. Is that more than a slap on the wrist and appropriate or is it too excessive?
Old 03-11-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 281 Likes on 200 Posts

there's a difference between red light cameras and speed cameras. i have no issues with red light cameras. people here in az drive like maniacs and run red lights, so i have no problem with them being used. for those that think those don't work, you would be wrong. the city of phoenix has shown a significant decrease in collisions at intersections where they have been installed.

as for speed cameras, they are worthless revenue generators.
Old 03-11-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
You were the hall monitor at school.. weren't you?
No, I was the kid who ratted out the other kids to the hall monitor.
Old 03-11-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Where's the "They suck donkey balls completely" option? It's just more bullshit ways for "the Man" to rip you/I off. They really don't give two shits about safety. Because if they did, they wouldn't bitch about the $5000 per month (approx) that it costs to LEASE these satanic fucking machines. EXAMPLE: in a city I once lived in, they leased 10 of them...within a year, they were down to 5. Why? Because the cameras didn't generate enough income, even though the intersections involved (all 10) had similarly high rates of accidents. They DO NOT GIVE A SHIT about your safety, or that of a busload of children. If they did, they'd have them at EVERY bad intersection, bar none.
Interesting logic. You hate them and they're just a ripoff, but the government doesn't care about people because they aren't at EVERY intersection.

What?

I'm all for 'em.
Old 03-11-09, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
They DO NOT GIVE A SHIT about your safety, or that of a busload of children.
I used to work for a company that sold these red light camera systems. You can bet our marketing literature had very little to do with safety or the cameras doing anything to reduce accidents.
Old 03-11-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
If you look around on the net you'll see about an equal number of reports that say they don't reduce accidents and ones that say they actually cause more. So.. What do you think?
I think the state of VA has removed all of theirs due to actual reports in the state of intersections where the camera were added and the HUGE increase in rear end collisions at those intersections.

This is clearly a money generator and nothing else. Once people learn the cameras are there, they slam brakes at the instant a light turns yellow. That is not always the safest move.
Old 03-11-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They're bullshit.

No cop = no ticket.

Next they'll be bringing those speed tracker things from Germany over here and we'll all be getting tickets for speeding on a lonely stretch of road where there isn't a cop for miles.
Old 03-11-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I think they probably reduce accidents at intersections where they are constantly there with sufficient notice (signage).

I also think they are revenue generations. I think government cares more about money than safety.
Old 03-11-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As long as the camera can make it into the court, put its right hand on a bible and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothin' but the truth...
Old 03-11-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate them. I have never gotten a ticket from them but they added them recently just after USF released their report that accidents are increased which it does seem more often than not there is an accident at the corner now. Even better they repaved the road and redrew the lanes and moved the turn lane back about 20 feet before putting the camera in. As a result the camera goes off constantly since people blow past the line to stop where they stopped for the past 10 years before making the turn. To top that if you stop where they want you to stop now you can't see oncoming traffic to see if it is safe to go. This is the intersection prior to the repaving and red light camera. The new lines are back where the arrow is on the ground in the lane next to CVS.

Apparently the city council raised concerns about the number of tickets within the first 3 months so they had to add signs stating right on red after stop. I believe tickets cost $100 and it is $25 to challenge. I have yet to see the light go off on anyone other than people turning right on red including the people who run the left turn light.
Old 03-12-09, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think they are a good thing.

I used to drive through an intersection where there was one. People would actually slow down during the yellow light and stop on the red.

When they decided to stop using it, people once again started speeding up during the yellow and running the red light again.

Not tough to see they do work.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.