Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone had nasal surgery/nose job before?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-02-09, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For several years I've been having problems breathing out of my nose. There will be months where I can't breath out of it at all. I figured it was because I've broken it several times. I recently got insurance so I thought I would go to the doctor to get things checked out. I also wanted to see how much it would cost to get my nose straightened from having it broken a half a dozen times. What I've been told is if you get both surgery's at the same time the insurance generally covers the hospital half of it.

I went to the doctor. His assistant sprayed something in my nose that completely opened my passage ways. It was the best I had breathed in years. Assistant made me believe if I could breath with the spray I didn't have any issues. Doctor came in and said it looked like I had a very minor deviated septum and some polyps and ordered a CT. He said he wasn't sure if I had blockage or not. He said the only way the insurance would cover any surgery was to have this done. Normally I'd be ok with that, but I'm a little confused on why I'm having to spend over $1,000 after insurance on a CT test. To me it defeats the purpose of trying to save money on the nose job. I'm also not interested in being exposed to radiation if the test isn't going to find anything. Would the doctor order a CT without thinking there was an issue?

Has anyone went to the doctor for something similar? Did they order a CT? I'm trying to figure out if this is normal. Had I only went in for a nose job would the same test been ordered?

Last edited by puddytay; 03-02-09 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-02-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Anyone had nasal surgery/nose job before?

A grand AFTER insurance for a CT? That doesn't sound right.
Old 03-02-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
A grand AFTER insurance for a CT? That doesn't sound right.
QFT. I don't think outpatient CT's run in the thousands range. Something doesn't make sense.
Old 03-02-09, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

use a neti pot for a couple of weeks.

my buddy had similar issues as you and regular use of the neti pot worked wonders.
Old 03-02-09, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
QFT. I don't think outpatient CT's run in the thousands range. Something doesn't make sense.
According to the hospital it's $3,000 without insurance plus whatever the doctor charges to read it which I was told is around $500. I have a $500 deductible plus 20 percent for the test. So I'm actually probably looking at more like $1,200 which I think is insane.
Old 03-03-09, 11:52 AM

Do you still have your adnoids?
Old 03-03-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're going to the wrong hospital.
Old 03-03-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your insurance company is supposed to send you a statement after they get charged showing the price of the service, how much they paid and what you may be responsible for