Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Gunnar Optiks glasses - Anyone own a pair?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-12-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Gunnar.com

Supposedly they reduce eye strain & headaches from staring at computer monitors all day (as well as TV, video games, etc). For the past month or so I've been getting headaches towards the end of my shift at work. I'm pretty sure it's from staring at the monitor and occasionally when I'm gaming, but not while I'm watching TV. I'm curious if these actually help. Or should I just go see an Optometrist? They do appear to get favorable reviews from some quick googling, and have been created by some folks that came from Oakley.

It looks like they sell them at a few dozen retailers around the nation, unfortunately none of which are near me. I'd love to try them out. Ordering glasses online without trying them out seems odd to me. Next best thing is trust the DVDtalk community.

Advice?
Old 02-12-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Gunnar Optiks glasses - Anyone own a pair?

I have seen the billboards, but have never looked into them. I would be interested in and advice to the OP as well.
Old 02-12-09, 02:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no clue what these were. I thought they gave you a HUD like Arnold has in The Terminator or something.
Old 02-12-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

They look like simple UV filters. That would make your display screen appear more sharp.
Old 02-12-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't get why they're selling frames instead of just marketing the lenses. I like the material of the frames, but not any of the styles; although I'm not fond of the yellow lenses either.
Old 02-12-09, 04:51 PM

I was actually considering buying a pair myself. I had been getting spaced out a lot while looking at the computer, and having a hard time keeping my vision sharp while reading things. Fluorescent lights do the same thing to me.

If you get some, please let us know how they are.
Old 02-13-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm surprised not a single person here has tried out a pair. I just bit the bullet and ordered a pair. I did find a 15% off coupon on Google(GUN_MER08). Looks like they ran a few different 25% coupons back in the fall.

Here's the pair I ordered, called Bit Surfer:
Old 02-13-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The concept is cool, but I would be asking for trouble from co-workers if I actually wore these while at work.
Old 02-16-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are they as cutting edge as http://www.blublocker.com/ ??
Old 02-16-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking at those things causes me eye strain. But they are kinda interesting.
Old 02-25-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My glasses finally arrived over the weekend. Paid for expedited shipping and it still took 8 days. That was a waste of $5-$6.

Gave them a 10 minute run on the home PC and they made me nauseous so I shelved them until Monday. A couple reviews mentioned that this was possible and/or normal until you get used to them. I wore them all day Monday & Tuesday(no nausea). They are very light weight and super comfortable. I don't have prescription glasses so wearing a pair all day was new to me, and not that bad. I was more concerned with how I looked in them sitting at my desk. No less than two people said I look like Bono with them on. Not sure if that is a compliment or not.

The real question though is, do they work? All signs point to yes. Zero headaches or eye strain on Monday or Tuesday. Cue today. I've been sitting here for an hour without them on and my eyes feel super dry. Hard to tell if my eyes are getting used to the glasses and making life without them worse, or if they were always that dry and I just didn't notice.

If you watch some of the vids on their site it is mentioned that they're designed to sit closer to your eyes forcing you to blink more often keeping your eyes moist. I can definitely attest to that. Blinking is not something you normally take notice of, but I definitely noticed blinking a lot more the first time I had them on for a prolonged amount of time on Monday.

I'd still say it's to early to draw a forgone conclusion but so far I am definitely impressed. If I can go a couple weeks without eye strain and headaches then I'll call them a success.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 02-25-09 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-26-09, 12:44 AM

Please keep us updated after you've tried them for a few days, because I'm strongly considering getting a pair.
Old 03-08-09, 07:02 PM

Any updates on how these are working for you, Michael Corvin?
Old 03-08-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They work as advertised. Two full work weeks and not a single headache or eye strain. They're so comfy I've also worn them out a couple times. It's amazing how bright and really obnoxious how the computer monitor / my office is without them.

I've had numerous people ask about them. Just as curious as everyone here. There are a couple of people at work that are considering them now. One suffers from serious migranes so it will be interesting if they can help her even a little. She's on the computer basically from morning to night.

Anyway, I definitely recommend them for anyone with similar symptoms to mine. Although they've been a tremendous help to me, it could be different for everyone so definitely keep that in mind when pulling the trigger. You can find them on ebay, but if you buy them through the official site there is a 30 day window to return them, IIRC, if you aren't satisfied. So keep that in mind. The official site is the way to go, except don't waste your money on expedited shipping.
Old 03-08-09, 11:58 PM

Ended up ordering a pair. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-09-09, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they look pretty cool. I haven't looked at the cost but I'm guessing they are a little expensive. When I look at a monitor for hours on end, I don't get headaches--I get red eyes.

BTW, Michael, every time I look at your avatar, it makes me think of a vagina with a glowing clitoris.

Last edited by big whoppa; 03-09-09 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-09-09, 02:24 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
BTW, Michael, every time I look at your avatar, it makes me think of a vagina with a glowing clitoris.
And if you wear those glasses, you'll get the full 3-D effect.
Old 03-09-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think they look pretty cool. I haven't looked at the cost but I'm guessing they are a little expensive.
$120-$200 depending on style.

Is that a bad thing?
Old 03-09-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

get an LCD

the olt CRT monitors would shoot electricity at you, but not LCD
Old 03-09-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a 22" LCD.
Old 10-07-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like they are slowing adding clear lenses to their lineup. They also have a pair of MLG(Major League Gaming) branded glasses. Not a fan of that style though.

Anyway I was considering ordering a second pair so I can just keep a pair at work and home and noticed the prices have dropped significantly. The pair I have (pic above) is still the same price but I noticed a bunch of them priced between $60 and $100 now.

The coupon above still works as well.

Originally Posted by benh911 View Post
Ended up ordering a pair. Thanks for the update.
Where's the feedback?
Old 10-07-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Okay, I ordered a pair. Eyestrain headaches are just a part of my weekly routines (especially Mondays) and got better with eye surgery, but are still worse than I like.

$73 delivered with the coupon.
Old 10-07-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Which style was that Dave? I think that was the pair I had my eye (ha!) on before I ordered the ones above. I might have to snag those as my second pair. I was drawn to the N Query style earlier this morning but didn't pull the trigger yet.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-07-09 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Looks like they are slowing adding clear lenses to their lineup. They also have a pair of MLG(Major League Gaming) branded glasses. Not a fan of that style though.

Anyway I was considering ordering a second pair so I can just keep a pair at work and home and noticed the prices have dropped significantly. The pair I have (pic above) is still the same price but I noticed a bunch of them priced between $60 and $100 now.

The coupon above still works as well.

Where's the feedback?
Did you ever go see an Optometrist? I was having similar issues as yours and ended up getting glasses. My left eye was a little weaker than my right eye which was causes the strain and head aches. I just wear my glasses at work but I'm still not quite used to them.
Old 10-07-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Did you ever go see an Optometrist? I was having similar issues as yours and ended up getting glasses. My left eye was a little weaker than my right eye which was causes the strain and head aches. I just wear my glasses at work but I'm still not quite used to them.
No but I might have to put that on the schedule.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.