School me on bargaining with car dealerships

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-06-09, 10:41 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm looking to buy a car within the next few months. I'm not in a huge rush. I'm pretty much set on the car and features I want. In my mind, I break it down as:

Car (an import, not an American/Canadian company)
Add-ons (all-season floor mats, hood deflector, moonroof package, etc.)
Extended Service Plan (up to 84 months / 200,000 kilometres for up to $1500)

When I go to a dealership, which aspects of this purchase can I get for a reduced (or free) price? How should I bargain the price? What if I say "I'll give you $x" (which is $3,000 less than list price)? Or "what can you add for free?"

Help, otters!
Old 02-06-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: School me on bargaining with car dealerships

If it's an import good luck. Those guys don't need help selling cars. When I bought my Mazda 3 back in 06 I tried negotiating. But they would not go under their set price. They pretty much told me that they would love my business but that was as low as they would go and if I didn't buy it it would be sold in a week to someone else anyway. The price was pretty close to invoice anyway. I even left the dealership to go check out a Subaru and was hoping that they would call with a reduced price but they never did. Went back the next day and got the Mazda. That's just my experience.
Old 02-06-09, 10:52 AM
Admin

Received 128 Likes on 78 Posts

They will try to take you on whatever they can. Don't tell them you want the largest service plan up front. Let them talk you up to it. That way, they're less likely to screw you on other features. Make sure you have Edmonds pricing information available so they know YOU know their cost and what others are paying for the car. If you have a trade in, know the Kelly Blue Book value of the car or they will screw you on that as well. Be prepared to trade it in someplace else if they try to give you a lot less than its value.

Last edited by VinVega; 02-06-09 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mopower, you have seen the news lately, right?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7873731.stm

If the total option price for all of that is $3k, I'd guess you could probably get $300-500 off.

What's a hood deflector anyway? One of those plastic guards that is raised an inch or two?
Old 02-06-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
What's a hood deflector anyway?
Attaches to the front end of the car, and directs any gangbangers or other miscreants that you may happen to run over from ending up in your path of vision.
Old 02-06-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Mopower, you have seen the news lately, right?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7873731.stm

If the total option price for all of that is $3k, I'd guess you could probably get $300-500 off.

What's a hood deflector anyway? One of those plastic guards that is raised an inch or two?
I said I bought in 06 what else do you want from me?
Old 02-06-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fair enough, but you statement also comes across like that's the case today with foreign cars.
Old 02-06-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deal with the internet sales managers. I found they more likely to drop the price and it lets you compare multiples with less work.
Old 02-06-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

Try not to get emotionally involved with the car. To the dealer, it's no different than selling you a pile of landscaping gravel. They're just trying to sell you something for a profit.
Old 02-06-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had this been a few years ago I would have had lots of advice.

Today? Get an idea of the invoice price for the car from Edmunds.com or another online site and start from there. Don't discuss add-ons until after the price is agreed to.
Old 02-06-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm currently in the market myself.

Here's something worth reading: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...6/page001.html
Old 02-06-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get almost any car for cheap these days. There's so much back stock they will take almost any deal just to get rid of them. You can get a car at or below invoice.

BTW, who uses a hood deflector on a car? Do they even make such a thing for cars? I see them on trucks but never on cars. Why would you even want to put one on a car? It's the first step in making your car look ugly I guess. If you really have to have protection; get an invisible bra. You can't see it unless your really up close and it's a one time application. If done right it will last a long time. It's kind of pricey but maybe you can get it free from the dealership.

Last edited by mrhan; 02-06-09 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^it's a bug deflector. somehow it makes bugs splat less against your winshield.

as for OP- the buyer has a lot more pull since a lot of car sales are down. unless you want some exotic.
Old 02-06-09, 12:47 PM
Suspended

You have to be willing to walk out. And you have to actually walk out if the deal is not to your liking.

And you shouldn't sign a deal until you've had time to go over it--and not at the dealership.

I was trying to buy a Civic years ago, and they pulled that crap where they only gave me the amount of the payment and the price of the car.

Went home and did all of the math. They were trying to charge me a 15% interest rate. They guy kept calling me to try and get me back down onto the lot. I told him to go fuck himself and started negotiations at another Honda dealership.

These things are mass produced. There's always another one out there, in the same color and with the same stuff added on.
Old 02-06-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Go on Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book. Figure out the dealer cost of the exact vehicle you want. Email the dealer through the web or cars.com. Ask their price and then counter-offer (THROUGH EMAIL ONLY!) the cost. Feel free to add $500 if you want to skip the haggling. No dealer should ignore this method. It worked great for me.

Internet sales people usually start off low in price. IF they say no or don't respond, fuck 'em. Wait a day or two and they will. Hopefully, you have the luxury of multiple dealerships in your area.

Last edited by CRM114; 02-06-09 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 01:47 PM

go to autobragblog.com and explain exactly what you are looking for and they can tell you the latest deals plus incentives. I checked on a f-150 and employee plans and this site gave the low down on how to apprach the saleman.

Also you add-ons, go to your local auto parts store as it will be so much cheaper. Costco has all weather floor mats for $20, the dealership will charge $120.
Old 02-06-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't even understand why you would offer anything more than cost + maybe a few hundred. Sure, you might be able to get even lower but I'd start there.

As for options, I wouldn't put non-Toyota floormats in my vehicle. I like an exact fit and some branding. $100 is nothing compared to the price of the car. (The bastards charged me $600 for the Sirius option. Had to pay it. Didn't want the goofy box and wires hanging all around.
Old 02-06-09, 02:02 PM
Admin

Received 128 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I don't even understand why you would offer anything more than cost + maybe a few hundred. Sure, you might be able to get even lower but I'd start there.
My Dad always negotiated this way and never had a problem with all the cars he bought over the years.
Old 02-06-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
My Dad always negotiated this way and never had a problem with all the cars he bought over the years.
Because even at cost, they are STILL making money via dealer incentives and rebates. Even better is to go for model leftovers. The longer they sit on the lot, the more money it costs the dealership. They are willing to break even or even lose money to get rid of them. I got my last vehicle WELL below cost and I didn't even have to make an offer. Found it on CARS.com and emailed the dealer and the first price offered was less than cost. I had to drive a half hour into New Jersey to get it but that's OK. (The price listed on cars.com is the LIST price so don't use that as any guide.)

Also, it's better to use this method on cars without lots of options. Many American car companies and companies like BMW do this to confuse the issue. Acura for instance sells the MDX in I believe 3 different flavors. No other options unless the dealer puts them on. Much easier to get a firm cost on these.

Last edited by CRM114; 02-06-09 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

My uncle uses an interesting strategy. He'll look up a city 3-4 hours away that has several dealers selling the make and model he wants. Then he'll call them and explain where he lives and ask for the absolute lowest price they'll give him. He says if it's more than $50 cheaper than the best offer he gets locally and they fax it to him, he'll drive there the next Saturday and buy the car. Once he gets a really good deal via fax, he takes it to the local dealership and explains that if they'll come in within $50 of the quoted price, he'll buy there instead of driving to the other city. He claims that it's saved him several thousand dollars on every car he's bought.
Old 02-06-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure. The key is to NOT go into the dealership. This last go around, I decided to stop in at a place and sat there for like two hours as they did the whole routine. It's a complete waste of time considering those internet guys are there to move volume and not fool around on the highest margin.

Obviously, you have to go into the dealer to test drive and evaluate but I'd never do the deal there unless it was pre-arranged.
Old 02-06-09, 03:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

maxfisher,
I like that! Hell, I'd even go out to the city that's 3 or 4 hours away if the local dealers refused to match/beat them.

CRM114,
I had no idea about the internet salesmen before. Do they work for "real" dealerships? Meaning, if I email [email protected] (or similar), is that who I'm dealing with? Or are they independent companies?
Old 02-06-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
CRM114,
I had no idea about the internet salesmen before. Do they work for "real" dealerships? Meaning, if I email [email protected] (or similar), is that who I'm dealing with? Or are they independent companies?
Dealers usually have a person dedicated to answering inquiries from cars.com and through their own website. The guy I dealt with was a retired IBM salesman who was working to kill time and he could do a lot from home. Of course, he'd be at the dealership when he had to be.
Old 02-06-09, 04:29 PM

Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron G View Post
You have to be willing to walk out. And you have to actually walk out if the deal is not to your liking.
Ron G is absolutely right. It's hard to believe until you finally do it but once you do, you'll never be afraid to face off against a dealer again.

I bought my 2007 Mazda5 last October. Checked out a few models within the last two weeks of the month. Came close at one dealer and when it got they got too pushy, I stood up and thanked them for their time. They were floored. Called even after I bought at another dealer. As for the dealer I purchased from, I took it to my mechanic, he said it was in the kind of shape where he'd buy it, save the tires. It was already listed below blue book value and was the car I wanted. I drove back and said if you throw in a new set of tires, I'll pay cash today. I got new tires and a great car.

They did, however, almost lose me when they wanted me to finance through them. I said thank you, but I was going through my credit union and had no plans to budge (long story short, my former bank wouldn't give me a dime, but my new wife's credit union would extend me the entire balance if I wanted it, and I've never seen such customer service to help me come over to their system - basically, I'd much rather work with them than be beholden to a dealer). They said they'd never heard of someone who wanted to pay a higher interest rate than they could give me - this was a woman separate from the dealer I'd been working with up to this point - and I said I appreciated the passive-aggressive tactic and I needed to have the paperwork ready so I could walk out in the next half hour or I would just have to walk out. She shut up and I had my car.

Did I ignore a lower interest rate to my detriment? I dunno, maybe. But I'd still rather build a relationship with a credit union willing to treat me like an actual customer than a passive-aggressive dealer.
Old 02-06-09, 04:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Dealers usually have a person dedicated to answering inquiries from cars.com and through their own website. The guy I dealt with was a retired IBM salesman who was working to kill time and he could do a lot from home. Of course, he'd be at the dealership when he had to be.
Well, I emailed one of the out-of-town dealers. They told me they have the model in stock, but could not discuss 'specialty pricing' unless I came in to the dealership. (worth noting: all I asked for was their current pricing, not any sort of specialty pricing)

I wish amazon.ca could just sell me the car

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.