Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Post Office MAY cut delivery days (UPDATE: UNCUT!!)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-28-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut

WASHINGTON Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday, in asking lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week. If the change happens, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to Saturday mail delivery. Previous post office studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day when mail flow is light, such as Tuesday.
Faced with dwindling mail volume and rising costs, the post office was $2.8 billion in the red last year. "If current trends continue, we could experience a net loss of $6 billion or more this fiscal year," Potter said in testimony for a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee.
Total mail volume was 202 billion items last year, over 9 billion less than the year before, the largest single volume drop in history.
And, despite annual rate increases, Potter said 2009 could be the first year since 1946 that the actual amount of money collected by the post office declines.
"It is possible that the cost of six-day delivery may simply prove to be unaffordable," Potter said. "I reluctantly request that Congress remove the annual appropriation bill rider, first added in 1983, that requires the Postal Service to deliver mail six days each week."
"The ability to suspend delivery on the lightest delivery days, for example, could save dollars in both our delivery and our processing and distribution networks. I do not make this request lightly, but I am forced to consider every option given the severity of our challenge," Potter said.
That doesn't mean it would happen right away, he noted, adding that the agency is working to cut costs and any final decision on changing delivery would have to be made by the postal governing board.
If it did become necessary to go to five-day delivery, Potter said, "we would do this by suspending delivery on the lightest volume days."
The Postal Service raised the issue of cutting back on days of service last fall in a study it issued. At that time the agency said the six-day rule should be eliminated, giving the post office, "the flexibility to meet future needs for delivery frequency.
A study done by George Mason University last year for the independent Postal Regulatory Commission estimated that going from six-day to five-day delivery would save the post office more than $1.9 billion annually, while a Postal Service study estimated the saving at $3.5 billion.
The next postal rate increase is scheduled for May, with the amount to be announced next month. Under current rules that would be limited to the amount of the increase in last year's consumer price index, 3.8 percent. That would round to a 2-cent increase in the current 42-cent first class rate.
The agency could request a larger increase because of the special circumstances, but Potter believes that would be counterproductive by causing mail volume to fall even more.
Dan G. Blair, chairman of the Postal Regulatory Commission, noted in his testimony that cutting service could also carry the risk of loss of mail volume. He suggested Congress review both delivery and restrictions it imposed on the closing of small and rural post offices.
The post office's problem is twofold, Potter explained.
"A revolution in the way people communicate has structurally changed the way America uses the mail," with a shift from first-class letters to the Internet for personal communications, billings, payments, statements and business correspondence.
To some extent that was made up for my growth in standard mail largely advertising but the economic meltdown has resulted in a drop there also.
Potter also asked that Congress ease the requirement that it make advance payments into a fund to cover future health benefits for retirees. Last year the post office was required to put $5.6 billion into the fund.
"We are in uncharted waters," Potter said. "But we do know that mail volume and revenue and with them the health of the mail system are dependent on the length and depth of the current economic recession."
He proposed easing the retirement pre-funding for eight years, while promising that the agency will cover the premiums for retirement health insurance.
At the same hearing the General Accounting Office agreed that the post office is facing an urgent need for help to preserve its financial strength. But the GAO suggested easing the pre-funding requirement for only two years, with Congress to determine the need for more relief later.
Potter noted that the agency has cut costs by $1 billion per year since 2002, reduced its work force by 120,000, halted construction of new facilities except in emergencies, frozen executive salaries and is in the process of reducing its headquarters work force by 15 percent.

Why would you want to cut a normal workday from the schedule? A weekday would screw up a number of things.

- Most businesses would only get delivery four days a week.

- People would have to start calculating closed delivery days into deadline or due dates.

Just cut Saturdays and be done with it.
Old 01-28-09, 03:25 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 316 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: Post Office MAY cut delivery days

They won't cut a weekday, businesses would scream.
Old 01-28-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish they'd cut out Thursdays, because that's when most of my bills arrive.
Old 01-28-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the easiest solution for them to increase revenue is to actually charge people for home delivery and provide P.O. boxes for free, instead of the other way around. Seems stupid. I don't think Dominoes would do very good charging you to come pick up a pizza while delivery was free.
Old 01-28-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt they'd cut a weekday too. If they wanted to cut Saturday that'd be fine by me. I think the mail should be privatized anyway.

I believe the easiest solution for them to increase revenue is to actually charge people for home delivery and provide P.O. boxes for free, instead of the other way around. Seems stupid. I don't think Dominoes would do very good charging you to come pick up a pizza while delivery was free.
Whoa, that's actually a pretty good idea!
Old 01-28-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Get rid of all the junk mail they have to process and their overhead would be so much fucking less.
Old 01-28-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
They would have to start building a lot more post officies to acomplish this.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not quite what you are talking about but parents small town post office will gave them a free PO box instead delivering if they live within a mile of the PO
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your idea makes mine look almost stupid by comparison.

Maybe if they stopped delivering most of my bills by cutting out Thursday service, I could afford to pay this new home delivery charge. Win-win.
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Get rid of all the junk mail they have to process and their overhead would be so much fucking less.
Old 01-28-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm fine with them cutting Tuesdays. All I ever get on Tuesdays is a coupon mailer and some thing telling me what a missing 6 year old looks like 20 years later.
Old 01-28-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Just cut Saturdays and be done with it.
I agree with this. This was actually an idea I had when gas was $4.

I feel sorry for my mailman, in my area, houses don't have mailboxes, instead, there's a post with about 24 mailboxes, each needing its own key. I'm sure there's a master key, but still.
Old 01-28-09, 03:38 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
All I ever get on Tuesdays is a coupon mailer and some thing telling me what a missing 6 year old looks like 20 years later.
Quit stealing my mail!
Old 01-28-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 97 Posts
Mail delivery to be cut ?

The postmaster general(or something) mentioned that they might need to cut back deliveries by one day to save money. Hell no. Don't we pay postage for a reason. They are talking maybe stopping Tuesday deliveries. Because of junk mail-I usually don't get mail till about 330pm on Monday and if they cut out Tuesday's then the Wednesday deliveries will run late because of the overflow from Tuesday's non-deliveries. What about people who have meds delivered or have welfare or social security checks -will they have to wait days on end to receive them? This is just all in the talk stages right now so no need to blow a gasket. Don't worry your DVDs will get delivered to you through hell or high water but don't count on Tuesday's.
Old 01-28-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Mail delivery to be cut ?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...very-days.html
Old 01-28-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

From what I have heard from them, junk mail is all that keeps them afloat. Huge amount of money, can sort during down time because delivery time doesn't matter as much, etc.
Old 01-28-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by orangecrush18 View Post
They would have to start building a lot more post officies to acomplish this.
I doubt it. Most people would still opt for home delivery. I would be that the amount collected would more than make up for the cost of additional mailboxes. And you only get a shitty standard one. If you need bigger than standard, you pay extra for that, just like now. So the amount of revenue brought in would pay for the building of more boxes over time. Easily, I think. Again, I don't think you would be building too many.

I think my box costs $50 a year (not the standard size). If I lived in an area where I were more than a mile away from the PO, I would pay the money to keep from having another errand every day.
Old 01-28-09, 03:57 PM
X
Administrator

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

This is where much of their revenue comes from. Postage would be incredibly high without it.
Old 01-28-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awil1026 - Is there another thread about this? Your post links to this thread.
Old 01-28-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Lurking View Post
awil1026 - Is there another thread about this? Your post links to this thread.
I think the threads got merged.
Old 01-28-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where's the button to switch from paper to electronic mail?
Old 01-28-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent idea! Now if only you could use that power for good!
Old 01-28-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Giving everyone a PO Box wouldn't work at all. Not enough post office boxes. they would have to build on to all the post offices. And at least double them in size. They would be better raising rates on all the junk mail crap that we always seem to get, and rates on catalogs mailed as well. I could see them dropping a day of home delivery during the week. That wouldnt be too much of an inconvenience.
Old 01-28-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe they need to start charging for e-mail.
Old 01-28-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I prefer shipping USPS because of the extra weekend day of delivery. if they lose that then they lose me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.