Other Talk "Otterville"

Peru, anyone?

Old 01-27-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru, anyone?

Anyone been to Peru?

Is going to Lima, Cuzco, ollantaytambo, and Machu Picchu a good plan? Any suggestions?

How bad is it to miss Lake Titicaca and the floating islands? Does it really take 2 days to see them?
Old 01-27-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Peru, anyone?

I haven't been there but my parents have and after travelling all over the world, from Europe to Egypt to China and Japan, they said Peru was the coolest place they're ever been.
Old 01-27-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Titicaca. Heh heh.
Old 01-27-09, 05:51 PM
X
Administrator

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I went to Lima and Cusco. Spent about a week in Cusco. It was interesting, but after being there, there were a lot of other places not in Peru I'd wished I'd gone to instead.
Old 01-27-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lake titicaca was a very pretty lake but much like any other lake that i had seen. went on a tour (the sun and moon islands maybe??? its been about 6 years since i went) which was semi interesting. didnt go to the floating islands.

i would use cuzco just as a jumping off point for machu pichu

lima is just a big city from what i have heard (i didnt go there)

didnt do the floating islands but i wish i had

wish i had looked at the nazca line

also did a tour thru colca canyon that was pretty scenery and saw ginormous condors just floating up the canyon right in front of us (literally like 10 feet away) which was pretty cool.

have fun and good luck! there is a big thread about machu pichu trail by suziq if you want to do some reading but a bunch of us suggested going with SAS tours for machu pichu. and, i would not skimp and go with the 3 day tour--stick with the 5 day tour, it was well worth it. also, at the site, there is another thingy you can climb off to the righthand side--you will be like hell no, no more exercise or walking, but i swear the views are worth it!

you must eat alpaca--it is delicious!!!! and watch out for crazy running around the ruins alpacas and llamas that are trying to mate--it is very entertaining
Old 01-27-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Peruvian flake

There is some excellent, doubly refined yeyo available in that country, and it's cheap.

Above 95% purity it will no longer crystallize into rocks, only into wafer thing flakes. It's amazingly clean and good.

You should go out of your way to try some.
Old 01-27-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at a conference last summer with a guy from Peru. I found out from him he doesn't wear a wedding ring because he rides a bus (not the bus to work and doesn't want to be mugged.
Old 02-11-09, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Basically you'll be taking the Cuzco tour with Valley of the Incas and Machu Pichu. A three-day / three night tour though you can extend it if you want. It's a nice tour, worth doing once. I think I paid about $200 for the tour, including the train to Machu Pichu, about 12 years ago (the only time I've been to Cuzco). If you want to save money and speak Spanish, just go to Cuzco and buy a tour from an agent there - don't pre-pay through a travel agent.

As far as Lima goes, there are some really nice museums. Be sure to check out the gold museum and the Nation's museum (museo de la nacion). And catch some bars in Baranco and Mira Flores, some cool areas.

For what it's worth, a few weeks ago I bought some tickets from O'Hare to Lima for about $560 (adult fare) for late May to early July - check out www.lan.com and www.aeromexico.com , as well as orbitz & travelocity.

Last edited by Heat; 02-11-09 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-11-09, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Peruvian flake

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
There is some excellent, doubly refined yeyo available in that country, and it's cheap.

Above 95% purity it will no longer crystallize into rocks, only into wafer thing flakes. It's amazingly clean and good.

You should go out of your way to try some.
I think we can all spot fishscale when we see it.
Old 02-11-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm planning on going in June. Suziq's thread got me intersted 5 (6?) years ago and I still haven't managed to go but the plan is June. We haven't actually booked tickets yet though so we'll see.

We want to do the 4 day Inca Trail hike to MP. Not sure what else
Old 02-11-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We decided to basically skip Lima and go right to Cuzco. So now we're looking a the market, pisac, the floating islands, and machu picchu. Should be good, but we're a bit worried about the possibility of altitude sickness.
Old 02-11-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

are you flying from Lima to Cusco?
Old 02-11-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My friend was raped there.
Old 02-11-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 455 Likes on 221 Posts

Give my regards to Lori Berenson.
Old 02-11-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 478 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
I'm planning on going in June. Suziq's thread got me intersted 5 (6?) years ago and I still haven't managed to go but the plan is June. We haven't actually booked tickets yet though so we'll see.

We want to do the 4 day Inca Trail hike to MP. Not sure what else
From previous pictures of your trips, you seem to be the more the "adventurous type" than the "tour" type. If that's the case, I'm not sure the 4 day hike to MP is worth it. It's like a friggin highway these days (I did it 20 years ago, no "tour", no "guide", and saw ONE person (a local) in 3 1/2 days) and there's not that much to see on the way to MP. It was more like "Yeah! I walked the Inca trail to MP!" than anything else since the hike itself wasn't that memorable. You know, the whole thing about the journey being more important than the destination. Today I'd take the damn bus.

So, if backpacking/trekking is your thing, you should look into the Valley of Callejon de Huaylas and go to Huaraz, which is at the foot of the Cordillera Blanca where Huascaran is, the highest mountain of Peru at 6,700 meters. Plus about 20 other peaks over 5,000 meters. Best place in Peru for trekking, mountain climbing, mountain biking, skiing and rafting.

8 hours north of Lima by bus. Just google "Huaraz Peru".

Here: http://www.peru-explorer.com/huscara.htm

Last edited by eXcentris; 02-11-09 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-11-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Defintely more adventurous. Everything I've read said the Inca Trail is cool. I'd rather do it without a guide, but that isn't allowed My friend's Outsider magazine ranked that hike as one of the best in the world. But what you said sounds otherwise.
Old 02-11-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

looked up Huaraz. That place looks awesome.
Old 02-11-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Or if you really want to hike to Machu Pichu, you might want to consider this less crowded, more difficult alternative:

The Salkantay Trail (from Mollepata to Machu Pichu)

http://besthike.com/southamerica/peru/salcantay.html
Old 02-11-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, Huaraz is awesome. It's all a national park today. But when I was there, it was as dangerous as Medellin or Cali (read drug cartels) in Colombia. You often heard stories of climbers getting robbed, killed, their finger(s) chopped up and their gold teeth pulled out. I spent 6 months travelling in South America. Good times.
Old 02-11-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Yup, Huaraz is awesome. It's all a national park today. But when I was there, it was as dangerous as Medellin or Cali (read drug cartels) in Colombia. You often heard stories of climbers getting robbed, killed, their finger(s) chopped up and their gold teeth pulled out. I spent 6 months travelling in South America. Good times.
Sounds appealing
Old 02-11-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Salkantay Trail also requires guides
Old 06-19-09, 04:08 AM
Suspended

I lived in Lima. It's a fairly large metropolis. Never went to Machu Picchu though.

E
Old 06-19-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, lots of props to me in this thread... lol. I guess I should answer.

Inca trail all the way... had a great time. yes, you have to go with a tour now, but it was only $250 when I went for 4 days of food and tents being hauled by porters. MP is awesome, of course.

Cuzco is a great city, easy to walk around, ruins, etc. I'd skip Lima if time is short as it's a HUGE city, full of stinky diesel cars...

Lake Titicaca is pretty cool. I thoroughly enjoyed the floating islands. It's amazing you can build a straw school on top of a straw island... etc. Puno is pretty hip. There was also some burial tombs around Puno that were worth checking out.

Loved the food, it's cheap, the people are nice. It's a good place to visit.

Last edited by suziq999; 06-19-09 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-19-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So not going this year. The plan is to go next year. We'll see if that happens, hopefully it will. The tour goes up every year. I think it is up to $500 now.
Old 06-19-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
So not going this year. The plan is to go next year. We'll see if that happens, hopefully it will. The tour goes up every year. I think it is up to $500 now.
Really? I thought with the economy it would have dropped... the good news is that hopefully everything else will be cheap because the USD has gained on most currencies in south america over the past year.

And it's worth every cent.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.