Reload this Page >

Cat owners: School me on litter mats

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-26-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two cats and keep the litter box in the utility closet. The utility closet sets off the entryway and is opposite the kitchen. All three share a tile/linoleum floor. I've got a mat in front of the litter box but it doesn't really do much. I still get enough litter tracking on the hard floor to make walking on it barefoot kind of gross. Yes, I know, I can sweep, but I'd like to get some kind of mat that will cut down on litter tracking so I'm not having to sweep twice a day!

I've seen many different kinds: Felt, cloth, rugs, carpets, rubber, and even cattle-guard style, that allow the litter to fall into a trap.

What works well for you???
Old 01-26-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Cat owners: School me on littler mats

Any mat will due, honestly, and just keep up with the sweeping. Our litterboxes are in a closet with a pet door and that keeps most of the little contained.
Old 01-26-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer View Post
Any mat will due, honestly, and just keep up with the sweeping. Our litterboxes are in a closet with a pet door and that keeps most of the little contained.
Take KD's advice, she knows puss... I mean cats
Old 01-26-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've found litter mats are useless but my cat is a big scratcher when it comes to using the litter box (I have to double line it with those plastic litter bags and even then he shreds through them both at times). He usually gets the litter mat moved all over the place but it's not on a tile floor in the laundry room so not a big deal. I've been thinking about moving it into an otherwise unused cedar closet right next to where it is currently wonder how that would work.
Old 01-26-09, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try switching to crystal litter. It absorbs odor better, doesn't track all over the house, and, despite being more expensive, only needs changing once a month.

And some stores have generic brand crystal litter.
Old 01-26-09, 09:15 PM

What works well? Nothing that I am aware of. I just keep a broom nearby and vacuum frequently.
Old 01-26-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by emptysky View Post
What works well? Nothing that I am aware of. I just keep a broom nearby and vacuum frequently.
Same here. We've tried many different things, and none of them do a very good job keeping the litter next to the box.
Old 01-26-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, gotta sweep. Or get a toddler, they like to eat the stuff off the floor. Cats are so easy.
Old 01-27-09, 08:56 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer View Post
Any mat will due, honestly, and just keep up with the sweeping.
That's the ticket. I'm constantly sweeping up after my little furball. She really enjoys scratching the floor instead of the sand in the box (so litter will fly out of her paw when she pulls it from the box). The floor hasn't covered up her poo yet, but she keeps trying.
Old 01-27-09, 09:19 AM

Try a Tidy Cat Breeze

http://www.breezeforcats.com/?D=417803&T=4772785

They are more expensive to start but so much easier to clean and tracking is almost a none issue, maybe a pellet or two from time to time. I have nine cats and have tried every litter system and this is by far the best.
Old 01-27-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Cat owners: School me on litter mats

You might just want to try an enclosed litter box with a flap door. Although a lot of cats won't take to it once they're already used to their box (my cat was scared of the flap).

I've also found that nothing really works. My cat is a big kicker (sometimes she even kicks out old dried cat crap). I've got one of those mats which makes clean up a bit easier, but litter will still get all over the floor.

My advice: get rid of the cat and get a dog. Problem solved.
Old 01-27-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Skip the litter mat and keep the area swept or vacuumed daily.

Also, two cats need two litterboxes. They're more territorial than you might guess.
Old 01-27-09, 10:20 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Skip the litter mat and keep the area swept or vacuumed daily.

Also, two cats need two litterboxes. They're more territorial than you might guess.
I think it depends on the case. When I was younger we had adopted a feral cat and her daughter. They shared the same box for years with no problem. Food they were never able to share as the mother was the alpha female and the daughter would always defer to her mother and wouldn't eat if there was only one plate of food.
Old 01-27-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think there is much you can do. If you decide to get too elaborate of a mat, the cats will just jump over it.

We have one cat who likes to really dig in the litter box throwing it everywhere if there is too much in the litter box.
Old 01-27-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have 3 litter boxes for 2 cats (never got rid of one after the third cat passed) I don't think they're territorial at all. They are boys though and I've found that girls are more particular about litter box issues.

I've never found a mat worth anything. Most cats are scratchers and the litter just ends up all over the place anyway.
Old 01-27-09, 03:24 PM

Go to Target (or similar in your 'hood) and in the housewares section, with the rugs and floormats you'll see 2 x 3-ish 'industrial mats'. They've got a bottom that's waterproof rubber and cheap carpet on top (really short tread, almost outdoor carpet-y looking). They go for about $4 and have proven to be very useful (they fit under the box and give plenty of protection to the floor around...easy to pick up the whole mat and dump crumbs back into box or run over with a vacuum. Also for $4 after a few months they do absorb cat box odor, even if you Febreeze, so not a big deal to throw out and start fresh.

Also crystals will have a lot less dust than something like clumping litter which is those super-fine grains (big fan of the crystals with a thin layer of pine underneath).
Old 01-27-09, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Yeah, gotta sweep. Or get a toddler, they like to eat the stuff off the floor. Cats are so easy.
To be real honest the one thing that's helped me is having dogs--one of them is so desperate to eat anything from the litter box that he stands around and licks the tracked-out litter off the floor.

But he makes such a mess elsewhere that it's still a net negative.
Old 01-27-09, 07:03 PM

I agree with the others, don't bother with the mat. My cat litter box is on the only wood floor in my apt, I sweep the area daily and vaccum the entire apt every other day. It's a small apt and the cat litter tends to stick to one of my cats paws so he tracks it all over.

Price you pay for their company!

Oh, and I think it depends on the cats behavior whether or not you need multiple boxes. I've always had one box with multiple cats - you just have to be diligent (sp?) with the cleaning.

just my .2
Old 01-27-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just use a cheap welcome mat from Walmart which seems to work well. It is wide enough they can't really avoid it and also soft enough they don't even try to avoid it unlike those mats they sell at Petsmart.

I have also read and personally found it is always better to have one more litter box than you have cats.
Old 01-27-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To be real honest the one thing that's helped me is having dogs--one of them is so desperate to eat anything from the litter box that he stands around and licks the tracked-out litter off the floor.

But he makes such a mess elsewhere that it's still a net negative.
Oooooh, who's a good boy, that's right, you are, give me kisses.

Old 01-27-09, 11:52 PM
Suspended

It's like Almond Roca for dogs.
Old 01-28-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on your cat(s), but I don't believe it's worthwhile finding a mat solution, litter will still end up everywhere. I have three cats(two males and a female), only one of which is a kicker, but I still had to shake the mat and sweep multiple times a day. A few weeks ago I bought an enclosed box w/flap - they had no problem with the switch, and I only have to sweep every few days now. Plus, no more poo on the floor!