Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2009

Old 01-13-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Biggest Loser 2009

Anyone want to give it another try? We did have a few success stories last year but we really lost participation in the second half of the year. Unfortunately I was one of those that plateau-ed. In September when I got laid off I basically sat around and ate all day. Instead of losing 10 pounds as I had hoped I actually gained five. So my new goal is to lose 15 pounds this year. I'm at 187 right now. I hope to be at 172 by spring. Not to make any excuses because the eating is my fault, but at almost 50 years old I notice such a huge difference in trying to get it to come off. It takes five days to lose a couple pounds and 1 meal to put on 5.

Excercise:
My excercise regime is pretty good; every morning I treadmill between 3 and 4 miles depending on the speed and I keep the incline at 3.5. I do some light weightlifting 3 mornings a week for tone. I do at least 3 Jiu Jitsu classes a week at an hour each time.

Diet:

I don't do many of the big no-no's. I don't drink sugary drinks, I drink very little alcohol. I don't eat fast food. We eat dinner every night as family. We go out maybe once a week. Not a tremendous amount of take-out or pizzas.

Where I need to improve:

I have been doing the same excercises for so long my body doesn't really respond any more. I started taking a few karate classes again which I hadn't done since last January. I'm also needing to add different excercises to the mix. To quote one of the infomercials; I need some muscle confusion. You do need to vary the routine once the muscles get used to certain routines.

I need to stop my unhealthy snacking. I've already cut out the mid-day candy bars. Now I need to stop all the popcorn, peanuts and cereal at 10:00 at night. Once I start I can't stop. I'll have some cereal because it's healthier than chips but then I'll eat 4 bowls. It's like eating 2 more meals before bed.

If anyone wants to join me it's never too late to give it another try.

Last edited by JimRochester; 01-13-09 at 12:15 PM. Reason: so I could complain more
Old 01-13-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Biggest Loser 2009

helpful hint:

a lot of folks that do well and maintain eat more of their alloted calories earlier in the day. kinda bottom load your day as it were. progressively smaller meals seem to be the way to go.
Old 01-13-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some thoughts...

Like you said, you should change your exercise routine. I really get bored at the gym if I don't do that. I use the treadmill a lot and interval training helps a lot. Vary the speed and vary the incline. I can speed walk at 3.5 and set the incline to the max which is 15. Once in a while, I'll sprint. Increase or decrease the speed or incline every 30 seconds, 1 minute, a song you're listening to, etc. Walk backwards on the treadmill. It uses a different set of muscles. You'll have to set the speed lower initially to get used to it.
Old 01-13-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jim, have you done any strength training?
Old 01-13-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Jim, have you done any strength training?
Very little. I do some crunches, bench presses and curls a few days a week. A modest weight about 40 reps just to work the muscles. I was never a big guy, just average size and I never lifted big weight even in high school. (Of course that was so long ago we just lifted big rocks and grunted)
Old 01-13-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in!

Started first by changing my eating habits. They were out of control. Pretty much ate whatever I wanted anytime I wanted. Paid no attention to portion size or nutrition.
Went shopping the other day and loaded my fridge up with chicken, veggies and whole wheat products.

I am going to start finally going to the gym that I pay for every month at least 3-4 times a week and also got an exercise ball with and elastic band for resistance training.

I need to lose at least 50 lbs so I have a big task in front of me. I have posted a picture so that several months from now I can show my progress.

Old 01-13-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hippie, at least, add some fish. Chicken will get boring. Lean beef is OK too. For ground beef, go for around 10% fat.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With exercise, most people fall into the trap of just doing exercise as a chore, and not making it any harder than it needs to be for them to feel like they have exercised.

I play ultimate frisbee, and let me tell you, you can think you're in good shape, but as soon as you are out there sprinting around, trying to play defense, etc, you realize that you're not. Try to increase your level of exertion in your exercise.

I started on the breakup diet and exercise plan back in October, didn't weigh myself but probably was at 180, weighed myself for the first time last week at 166, and hope to drop another 10 pounds or so before the summer.
Old 01-13-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Anyone want to give it another try? We did have a few success stories last year but we really lost participation in the second half of the year.
I tried to keep it going for awhile, but the participation really did not warrant a new monthly thread. I think a year thread would be much easier to handle.

Anyways.

I am hovering in the 235-240 area, and have been for the last 2 months or so.

On Feburary 3rd, I tipped the scales at 326 pounds.

I got serious about the weight loss I would say in Mid May, that is when I was 100% back to my former self (I had busted my ankle really bad).

I used a website called Sparkpeople to keep me locked in and using the fitness calculator/food calculator. The community also really helped.

On Feburary 1st, I was wearing 4X clothing and Size 48 pants

By August I was fitting comfortably in size 2X shirts (I was 4X when I started). I was also down to size 40 pants.

By November, I am fitting into XL shirts, and size 38 pants.

Here are some before pictures:

And some 'now' pictures:

The question comes up, How?

Several things.

*Cut portion size. I used to way more than I really should have
*break up my meals. I break up my meals over 2-4 hour periods
*Drink lots of water. Drink little or no soda
*Exercise. I walk go on 20 minute walks 3 times a day.
*Eat better, less processed/deep fried foods. More veggies.

If people are looking for a good fitness/food counter, with a supportive community, look at my sig below.

Otto
Old 01-13-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
hippie, at least, add some fish. Chicken will get boring. Lean beef is OK too. For ground beef, go for around 10% fat.

Good luck!
thanks! I like Talapia but that is really all I've tried. Any other suggestions for a mild fish? And what about steak? Can I eat one at least once a week?
Old 01-13-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hippie68 View Post
thanks! I like Talapia but that is really all I've tried. Any other suggestions for a mild fish? And what about steak? Can I eat one at least once a week?

Eat steak.

seriously. Really in effect, eat whatever you want, within reason.

If you are going to eat steak, eat leaner cuts. Some people like the fatty stuff, I don't.
Old 01-13-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I tried to keep it going for awhile, but the participation really did not warrant a new monthly thread. I think a year thread would be much easier to handle.

Otto
Nice job. I admit I was one of those that just gave up.. All I wanted to do was lose a few pounds. But M - F but I'd lose a couple then go out for an all you can eat pasta dinner and be right back to square one Saturday morning.

Back in 2000 I was 205 with a 38" waist. Not huge but I'm only a little over 5'9" tall so I carried a lot of extra weight. I lost 35lbs on the Atkins plan so by 2001 I was 170 with a 33" waist. You're always going to gain a couple back which was fine, but slowly I've gotten back in to my poor eating habits. Too much of the wrong foods at the wrong time of day. Too much pasta at least the stuff with Alfredo sauce. Now I'm finding my 34" pants just don't fit any more. Gotta get serious.

Hey if it's every week or every other week, we just need a couple people to check in and see how we're doing and report on the progress.
Old 01-13-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Tuna steak done right can be real good. Other times it just tastes like someone opened a can of Tuna and plunked it down. Any baked fish not swimming in butter is good for you.

Just about any meat if it's lean it's fine. It's not the steak, it's the baked potato with a glob of sour cream, it's not the turkey dinner, it's mashed potatos loaded with gravy and stuffing, then some pie for desert. A plain lean hamburg is fine, load it up with a bunch of condiments then add some french fries and you've doubled the calories.
Old 01-13-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other mild fishes are flounder, sole, cod.

As for steak, I think the biggest problem with things like steak is portions. A 4 oz portion of even a fatty cut will not be all that high in calories or fat. that said, leaner cuts of steak are better. Buffalo is also good, very much like beef but leaner.

But portion control is the primary thing!
Old 01-13-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Back in 2000 I was 205 with a 38" waist. Not huge but I'm only a little over 5'9" tall so I carried a lot of extra weight. I lost 35lbs on the Atkins plan so by 2001 I was 170 with a 33" waist. You're always going to gain a couple back which was fine, but slowly I've gotten back in to my poor eating habits. Too much of the wrong foods at the wrong time of day. Too much pasta at least the stuff with Alfredo sauce. Now I'm finding my 34" pants just don't fit any more. Gotta get serious.
Jim, the problem is that the Atkins plan is a diet, and diets don't work. Read that again, diets DO. NOT. WORK.

The only thing that works is a lifestyle change. In other words, you have to tell yourself that this is your new life, this is the way that you will eat for the rest of your life. If you're "dieting" to lose weight, you may be successful, but what happens when you hit your target? You don't need the diet anymore, right, because you don't need to diet? Atkins and many other diet plans do help you lose weight, but only a long term sustainable lifestyle change will help you stay slim.

I have been losing weight even though I have the occasional splurge. Life will always have the occasional splurge. But I save those for eating out and social occasions. At home I eat very healthy, don't drink alcohol, and I truly can sustain this forever (I hope ).
Old 01-13-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Jim, the problem is that the Atkins plan is a diet, and diets don't work. Read that again, diets DO. NOT. WORK.

The only thing that works is a lifestyle change. In other words, you have to tell yourself that this is your new life, this is the way that you will eat for the rest of your life. If you're "dieting" to lose weight, you may be successful, but what happens when you hit your target? You don't need the diet anymore, right, because you don't need to diet? Atkins and many other diet plans do help you lose weight, but only a long term sustainable lifestyle change will help you stay slim.

I have been losing weight even though I have the occasional splurge. Life will always have the occasional splurge. But I save those for eating out and social occasions. At home I eat very healthy, don't drink alcohol, and I truly can sustain this forever (I hope ).
Agreed however I easily maintained the weight for more than 5 years by eating a primarliy protein based diet. But my problem is once I start I can't stop. I started by having a little splurge and before you know it the splurges out numbered the strict days. Yet when I didn't splurge I could go 6 months or a year without a sugary treat and I didn't miss them. I have one this week, then next week 2 and before you know it every afternoon I'm having a big mother candybar.

I can go out for a big meal come home and eat a sandwich. I have no concept of hungry or full, I only know the less I eat the less I want and the more I eat the more I want. That goes 10 fold for treats. If I pass on a donut I won't miss it, however if I have one I can literally and have eaten a whole box of donuts.
Old 01-13-09, 04:21 PM

I think I would like to keep this post as a bookmark, and keep updating it monthly, maybe with pictures if I'm not too embarrassed. I'm tired of pretending everything is okay, and I would like to get rid of the one thing that is holding me back in life. Wish me luck.
Old 01-13-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ruddiger_718 View Post
I think I would like to keep this post as a bookmark, and keep updating it monthly, maybe with pictures if I'm not too embarrassed. I'm tired of pretending everything is okay, and I would like to get rid of the one thing that is holding me back in life. Wish me luck.
Hey man.

Good luck

But you shouldn't feel embarrassed. Everyone knows that you are trying.
Old 01-13-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fish around here can get pricey so I buy frozen fish in large bags at Costco. They carry tilapia and orange roughy fillets. I have a bag of roughy that are individual packaged and frozen. Before I use them I thaw them in the fridge. Although they aren't my favorite, salmon is really good for you. Costco carries plenty of that too. I'm sure if you have a Sam's in your area, there are plenty of low-cost fish option. However you cook it, don't batter and fry it.

Yeah, I make steak too and I admit I use butter to cook it. I don't eat it very often so it's a little indulgence. Lot of protein in steak too. Great after a workout.

Last edited by big whoppa; 01-13-09 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm gonna give this a go... since the new year I've cut out all soda (including diet), and am not doing ANY fast food...plus I've been hitting the gym for at least 1 hour of cardio 6 days a week, doing about 45min of weights every other day (3x a week). I'm definitely working on portion control and calorie counting to make sure I don't overeat... I figure if I can keep this up for at least two months, it will just become habit...
Old 01-13-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post

Perfect post.
Old 01-13-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

mdc: I think that 8 hours of exercise a week is unsustainable unless you're really enjoying it. You don't need to do an hour of cardio and in fact its not going to necessarily help you lose weight. If you do intervals / sprints for 20 minutes, you can get just as much done.

I've had a membership to a gym for about 8 years but have only seriously used it (as in 5x a week) once I found two things that I was almost addicted to: volleyball and weightlifting. Otherwise the gym seems like a chore.

Jim: I have the same issue with breads and grains. I can eat a lot of them. What I do is simply not keep them in the house. I haven't bought cookies or chips as snacks. Now I'm not buying bread or sugared cereal.

Find other foods that can replace that craving. If you want something sweet, eat a fruit. If you want something salty, eat pistachios.

The latter are probably the best hunger-fighting snack I can think of. They're filling (since they have protein), they're good for you, they taste great, and it takes a lot of effort to eat them (since you have to crack them open, etc.)

Only downside is that they are extremely expensive. Every so often they're on sale and I pick up a bunch. I picked up three 2 lb. bags before Christmas and just emptied my last one into my nut bowl.
Old 01-13-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ruddiger_718 View Post
Good Luck, we're here for you if you need us. Weight is just as about as difficult to control as height. My sister was a very large girl. A few years ago she had the gastric bypass surgery and lost 135lbs. That's like a whole person extra weight. She doesn't seem to eat that much at least when I'm around but slowly she's putting the weight back on. Not to make excuses because we conciously and voluntarily put food in our mouths but we have so little control over how our body processes it.

I need to be much more rigid with my portions. I'll have a snack of saltines and peanut butter, but the problem is again, once I start, I'll polish off a whole sleeve of saltines and that's a whole lot of PB with it. Having 3 or 4 only gives me more cravings.
Old 01-13-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try switching saltines to a whole wheat cracker. Saltines are pure shit. The whole wheat will take longer to process and should make you feel full longer.

Or try those 2 tbs of peanut butter on apple slices.
Old 01-13-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jim you sound like me.

I don't think you should "snack" on anything that is carb/grain heavy. No chips, no crackers, no cookies, no saltines, not a bowl of cereal, etc. It obviously doesn't curb hunger. Find something to replace them:

or

or

or

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.