Reload this Page >

Dealing with "Fatty" on the Plane

Other Talk "Otterville"

Dealing with "Fatty" on the Plane

Old 02-15-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Dealing with "Fatty" on the Plane

That's just strange if they have a policy requiring a person to purchase two tickets if they are deemed "fat". I guess if you board late and there's nothing but singles left you have to get them to move someone so you can get your two seats together!?
Old 02-15-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, they do not have assigned seats. But buying 2 seats is buying 2 seats. Otherwise, by the same logic, you could ask a 2-Ticket XL Passenger to please tilt to the left so you can sit under half of them.

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
That's just strange if they have a policy requiring a person to purchase two tickets if they are deemed "fat". I guess if you board late and there's nothing but singles left you have to get them to move someone so you can get your two seats together!?
Trust me, anyone will be happy to go sit in a different seat rather than having a passenger requiring 2 seats squeeze in. They might qualify for early boarding as well. Sometimes, though rare, passengers have to move as it is for load balancing.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 02-15-10 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Take all of these statements and replace 'fat' with 'black', 'jew', 'gay', 'young', 'old' or 'disabled' and then you get an idea of how prejudiced you sound. Oh yeah, I know, I know, fat people CHOOSE to be fat. Great way to dismiss your fucked up behaviour. Even if it was true, (and science is still out on that), why would you want to be such an ugly person?
Old 02-15-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
guess what. i can't choose to be black or gay or young or old. i can choose to be fat or not to be fat.
No, didn't you hear? The science is still out on that.
Old 02-15-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Old 02-15-10, 04:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goldblum View Post
No, didn't you hear? The science is still out on that.
You can toss all the sarcasm out that you wish-- it only makes you look bad.

I can't site specific studies on this but there is evidence that each individual has a "preferred" weight that the body attempts to maintain, not gaining or losing much from that weight. Which can result in a very skinny person who can't keep weight on no matter how hard they try, and can result in a very fat person who can't keep weight off no matter how hard they try. Even if both people have the same diet and level of activity. Only in rare (possibly pathological) cases do fat people continue to get fatter for the rest of their lives. More normal is to reach an adult fat weight and pretty much stay there. If you loose a lot of it by dieting and start regaining, you will tend to return to more or less the same weight you were before. So yes, the science is still out on that.

Edit-- found a citation:

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/17953

Last edited by Deep_lurk; 02-15-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

so what you are saying is if you exercise and eat sensibly as a fat person, you won't lose (not loose) weight?
Old 02-15-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

I just loosed some weight into the toilet.
Old 02-15-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I get it, don't say fat. People who are too large for their seats should be required to buy a second. Most 'fat' people fit into their seats just fine and there are certainly huge people who aren't 'fat.'

Is that still unacceptable? (or is the argument that special circumstances should be granted like handicap seating?)

Last edited by starman9000; 02-15-10 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Looks like Kevin smith broke twitter.
Old 02-15-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

now he's going to get kicked from twitter for being too fat (PC: "Over Capacity")

*nice imagery by Twitter showing that he's as big as a whale and not even 8 Southwest planes could carry him.
Old 02-15-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorraffy View Post
*nice imagery by Twitter showing that he's as big as a whale
And he's about to set sail!
Old 02-15-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Take all of these statements and replace 'fat' with 'black', 'jew', 'gay', 'young', 'old' or 'disabled' and then you get an idea of how prejudiced you sound. Oh yeah, I know, I know, fat people CHOOSE to be fat. Great way to dismiss your fucked up behaviour. Even if it was true, (and science is still out on that), why would you want to be such an ugly person?
Inane post of the year! Plus, coming from someone who had a rather distasteful signature makes it extra special.

Oh well, this forum has become a pretty fucking, ugly place as of late anyway...
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Old 02-15-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Old 02-15-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Looks like Kevin smith broke twitter.
that graphic couldn't fit the situation any better.
Old 02-15-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
so what you are saying is if you exercise and eat sensibly as a fat person, you won't lose (not loose) weight?
Bingo! And if you dare and suggest otherwise you are a racist, homophobic, intolerant bastard with no sense of compassion!
Old 02-15-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need a CreamyGoodness greatest hits thread
Old 02-15-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

I know why I'm fat. I like food. If I get so big that I can't fit on an airplane, instead of whining about it, I'll lose a little weight.

It's not like I would be catering to the "you can't be too thin" crowd, I would just lose enough to get what I want; an airplane seat. Then, I could still enjoy my food, and be the happy person everyone loves.
Old 02-15-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I know why I'm fat. I like food. If I get so big that I can't fit on an airplane, instead of whining about it, I'll lose a little weight.

It's not like I would be catering to the "you can't be too thin" crowd, I would just lose enough to get what I want; an airplane seat. Then, I could still enjoy my food, and be the happy person everyone loves.
Take your logic out of this thread. It does not belong ma'am.
Old 02-15-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork View Post
God damn you, dork. Now I've got "Love Shack" stuck in my head.

I got me a car, it seats about 20.
Old 02-15-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Update: I was just on a short flight from Chicago. The woman next to me was very fidgety and it was slightly annoying. The guy behind me kicked my seat back a couple of times (presumably by accident). The guy in front of me reclined his seat, which made my flight less pleasant. Nobody was kicked off the plane.

No fatties were to be seen, unless I count (I fit in my seat just fine with the armrests down, but I could stand to lose a few pounds).
Old 02-15-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Deep_lurk View Post
You can toss all the sarcasm out that you wish-- it only makes you look bad.

I can't site specific studies on this but there is evidence that each individual has a "preferred" weight that the body attempts to maintain, not gaining or losing much from that weight. Which can result in a very skinny person who can't keep weight on no matter how hard they try, and can result in a very fat person who can't keep weight off no matter how hard they try. Even if both people have the same diet and level of activity. Only in rare (possibly pathological) cases do fat people continue to get fatter for the rest of their lives. More normal is to reach an adult fat weight and pretty much stay there. If you loose a lot of it by dieting and start regaining, you will tend to return to more or less the same weight you were before. So yes, the science is still out on that.

Edit-- found a citation:

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/17953
The study you cite, does not say what you say. In fact, it gives several ways to lose weight including this quote,

"Nonpharmacological treatments for obesity include behavior therapy, exercise, and calorie-restricted diets. The goal of behavior therapy is to overcome barriers to compliance with a diet and physical activity regimen. Physical activity increases energy expenditure and is a key component of any weight maintenance program, counteracting the reduction in total energy expenditure that occurs with weight loss. In general, patients should build up to a 30-to 45-minute exercise regimen, daily if possible, of the greatest intensity exercise that is safe for their own level of fitness. Improvement in cardiovascular risk is observed through regular exercise even if no weight is lost (25).

In order to induce weight loss a calorie deficit must be created. The optimal macronutrient composition of a weight-reducing diet is controversial."
Old 02-15-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Jesus Christo, JasonF. How many times do we have to repeat this to you.

Fatties don't take short flights.
Old 02-15-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
The study you cite, does not say what you say. In fact, it gives several ways to lose weight including this quote,

"Nonpharmacological treatments for obesity include behavior therapy, exercise, and calorie-restricted diets. The goal of behavior therapy is to overcome barriers to compliance with a diet and physical activity regimen. Physical activity increases energy expenditure and is a key component of any weight maintenance program, counteracting the reduction in total energy expenditure that occurs with weight loss. In general, patients should build up to a 30-to 45-minute exercise regimen, daily if possible, of the greatest intensity exercise that is safe for their own level of fitness. Improvement in cardiovascular risk is observed through regular exercise even if no weight is lost (25).

In order to induce weight loss a calorie deficit must be created. The optimal macronutrient composition of a weight-reducing diet is controversial."
In order to induce weight loss, a person's behavior MUST be modified. The calories and other shit come last. Calories won't matter if you're not changing your behavior.
Old 02-15-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I mean, I know Kevin Smith was fat, but that dude turned into a land orca in the past few years. He's fucking enormous. I know they're not hurting me (except through MediCare and the like), but I'm getting more than a little sick of fat Americans. Mildly overweight is somewhat understandable, but 300+ pounds is ridiculous. I beg of you, have some respect for yourself. It's really not that hard to keep the waist in the thirties...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.