Reload this Page >

Vegetarians/Vegans: Why?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 12-26-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a reason why you choose to be meat-less eater? And are you a super hippie? eg- green peace forever, meat is murder, etc,etc ?
Old 12-26-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-26-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mole177 View Post
Is there a reason why you choose to be meat-less eater? And are you a super hippie? eg- green peace forever, meat is murder, etc,etc ?
lol.
Old 12-26-08, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I’ve been a vegan for over six years now. I am NOT a hippie nor am I radical of any sort. I’m a Democrat-leaning political moderate who goes to church on at least a weekly basis. I’m a law student, I like corporations and I have a stock portfolio (or what’s left of one).

As for the why, that’s easy. The primary reason is that I have no desire to unnecessarily harm and kill innocent life. I grew up eating a lot of beef and bacon but I gave it up once I realized all the suffering behind it and I haven’t looked back since. The fact that the diet is also significantly better for the environment and possibly my health are just bonuses.
Old 12-26-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Mmmmm, Vegan.

Old 12-26-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I did it for health reasons. I needed to lose weight and when I assessed my diet, I was taking in a lot of junk and most of it was from eating meat. So I cut the meat out and I am down 30 lbs.

On the flip side of that, I had an interesting conversation with one of the guys my father makes machines for (his company, my father's, makes the machine that seal the hot dogs up...apparently they own the patent for that). He was saying in the meat industry there are ZERO regulations, no matter what the USDA says. And what happens is, over time, the slaughterhouses get lax on that stuff and the meat gets contaminated. Hence the e coli breakouts we see a lot. For me, that put a lot into perspective. I personally don;t want to put that stuff in my body.

But, it is perfectly fine if others want to or don't share in my belief. I am not one of the psycho PETA nuts that demand that everyone be a certain way or else. I am not the supreme ruler, so however you want to live your life, is fine by me.

Last edited by macnorton; 12-26-08 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-26-08, 01:41 PM

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
I grew up eating meat and loved the taste of meat, but I would often find myself in the company of vegetarians. Their lifestyles intrigued me.

I've always had a love for animals and saw how hypocritical it was for me to eat animals that had been slaughtered for my pleasure. Witnessed how slaughterhouses and factory farms operate and felt depressed with myself for eating meat.

I gave up meat many years ago and haven't missed it. I gave up wearing all animal-based clothing, also.

I've always been ecologically-minded and try to conserve the Earth's resources whenever possible, but I'm not a fanatic about it.

(I have cats and feed them meat-based food, so I can't say I'm a fanatical vegetarian. I know of some vegans that only feed their pets non-animal products.)
Old 12-26-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
My dad once asked me if I ever considered being a priest. My response was "yes, then I got my first blowjob and I know I could never go back."

Same reasoning applies as to why I eat meat.
Old 12-26-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

(I have cats and feed them meat-based food, so I can't say I'm a fanatical vegetarian. I know of some vegans that only feed their pets non-animal products.)
Now that's just cruel. Why would you torture a pet and force them to live your lifestyle even though they are natural carnivores?
Old 12-26-08, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Now that's just cruel. Why would you torture a pet and force them to live your lifestyle even though they are natural carnivores?
That's why they're called fanatics, I guess.

http://www.our-happy-cat.com/vegetarian-cat-food.html

I guess it can be done successfully, but I don't think my cats would be up for the experimentation.
Old 12-26-08, 02:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Because animals are disgusting.
Old 12-26-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by drak b View Post
Personally, Iíve been a vegan for over six years now. I am NOT a hippie nor am I radical of any sort. Iím a Democrat-leaning political moderate who goes to church on at least a weekly basis. Iím a law student, I like corporations and I have a stock portfolio (or whatís left of one).

As for the why, thatís easy. The primary reason is that I have no desire to unnecessarily harm and kill innocent life. I grew up eating a lot of beef and bacon but I gave it up once I realized all the suffering behind it and I havenít looked back since. The fact that the diet is also significantly better for the environment and possibly my health are just bonuses.
you just prefer to survive on the death of living things whose screams you can not hear. If you had no desire to unnecessarily harm and kill innocent life, you would become a Breatharian. I'd have to say you're a bit of a Kingdomist.
Old 12-26-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
My dad once asked me if I ever considered being a priest. My response was "yes, then I got my first blowjob and I know I could never go back."

Same reasoning applies as to why I eat meat.
You got a blowjob from a cow?
Old 12-26-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
You got a blowjob from a cow?
Yes. It was cool until she got freaky and asked me to nut on her utters.

Spoiler:
I swear that's a joke
Old 12-26-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
I did it for health reasons. I needed to lose weight and when I assessed my diet, I was taking in a lot of junk and most of it was from eating meat. So I cut the meat out and I am down 30 lbs.

On the flip side of that, I had an interesting conversation with one of the guys my father makes machines for (his company, my father's, makes the machine that seal the hot dogs up...apparently they own the patent for that). He was saying in the meat industry there are ZERO regulations, no matter what the USDA says. And what happens is, over time, the slaughterhouses get lax on that stuff and the meat gets contaminated. Hence the e coli breakouts we see a lot. For me, that put a lot into perspective. I personally don;t want to put that stuff in my body.

But, it is perfectly fine if others want to or don't share in my belief. I am not one of the psycho PETA nuts that demand that everyone be a certain way or else. I am not the supreme ruler, so however you want to live your life, is fine by me.
I thought that the USDA this year banned the slaughter of cows too sick to stand up. It turns out, they merely have the rule under consideration.

12/11/2008 8:00:00 AM
Jolley: Hallmark/Westland Might Not Be An Anomaly According To An OIG Report

. . .

Soon after the Hallmark video surfaced, Ag Secretary Schafer said he would ban the slaughter of downer cows without exception, a still delayed pledge. USDA spokesperson Amanda Eamich said the ban might have to wait until early next year while officials review more than 50,000 public comments on the new rule.
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Content...ntentID=275451

A co-worker told me about a conversation he'd had with someone from the Argentinian meat-packing industry. The USDA inspects foreign plants that produce anything for US consumption. It only makes sense, right? They are held to the highest standards, the walls have to be stainless steel, and everything is high-tech. The guy was outraged when he saw an American plant. It was all wooden, and the standards were lax, but it was allowed under a grandfather clause.

I suppose that if you were worried about the health aspect, you could buy foreign meat.
Old 12-26-08, 03:18 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I thought that the USDA this year banned the slaughter of cows too sick to stand up. It turns out, they merely have the rule under consideration.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Content...ntentID=275451

A co-worker told me about a conversation he'd had with someone from the Argentinian meat-packing industry. The USDA inspects foreign plants that produce anything for US consumption. It only makes sense, right? They are held to the highest standards, the walls have to be stainless steel, and everything is high-tech. The guy was outraged when he saw an American plant. It was all wooden, and the standards were lax, but it was allowed under a grandfather clause.

I suppose that if you were worried about the health aspect, you could buy foreign meat.
I should have prefaced my comment a bit. I am sure there are plenty of plants that do meet (no pun intended) standards, but that was not the impression I got.

In my own research, a lot of plants barely make code. I suppose it is like any other industry, you grease the right people and the rules will change in your favor. But even so, one does have to take where their food comes from into consideration. Rather then not think about it. I often wonder that if we all got a look into the "real" meat industry, would we all change our minds?

And now for a bit of devil's advocate...any veg/vegan that claims having a meatless diet is 100% safe, is full of shit. There are a ton of chemicals that get pumped on to that food too, which is equally bad for you as well. And you also run the risk of catching other illnesses associated with that. There is no 100% safe diet out there at all. But to say one has it because it doesn't come from animals is ludicrous. Also a thing to note, any product can claim to be 100% natural, since the FDA does not have any kind of regulations regarding the claim. There is another FDA like body (the name is fleeting me at the moment, but it is on the Burt Bees products) that investigates such claims and will give you a seal if you meet their guidelines.

Either way, both sides have their faults...and one is not better then the other. Whatever choice one makes is cool, just make sure you know what you are getting into.
Old 12-26-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Yes, that's why you buy their meat prepackaged.
Old 12-26-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a carnivore, but I think I can sum it up in 3 reasons:
1. Religion prohibiting meat and meat byproducts
2. Health issues of eating meat
3. Moral Issues of eating another living thing and feels pain and suffering
Old 12-26-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Weak.

Strong.
Old 12-26-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
I did it for Health reasons.

I'm a Type 2 Diabetic. It seems like every day I'm learning more and more about how Diabetes can really screw up one's life because of how it opens a person up to all kinds of issues. I mean Diabetes is a real bitch. I've been thinking of going Vegetarian for a few years but I finally did it in 2008. Since I'm new to this I'm still learning and making mistakes. I do find that as time goes by my thinking is changing. I'm becoming more and more happy with the fact that I don't eat meat and this on the heels of a 38 year love affair/addiction to all kinds of meat.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-27-08 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-26-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

If I were a vegetarian, all I would eat are those things processed and made to look and taste like meat.

Good for you, Robo.
Old 12-26-08, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
If I were a vegetarian, all I would eat are those things processed and made to look and taste like meat.
Yeah, they've come a long way with that stuff. Now-a-days you can find stuff that is virtually indistinguishable from their meat counter-parts and is very tasty. (I remember the days when meat alternatives came in cans and had to be disguised with loads of catsup, mustard, and barbecue sauce to make it "edible.")

Robo,

Watch out for the other problem that people have when switching to a vegetarian diet--eating too many carbs and foods which are high in sugars, fats, and oils when looking for something to eat which isn't meat-based. Especially if you're diabetic. I know some vegetarians who are in worse physical condition than my meat-eating friends.
Old 12-26-08, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
you just prefer to survive on the death of living things whose screams you can not hear. If you had no desire to unnecessarily harm and kill innocent life, you would become a Breatharian. I'd have to say you're a bit of a Kingdomist.
Iíve always been curious as to how plants feel pain without a central nervous system. Is it magic? Or why they would feel pain, from an evolutionary perspective, since they arenít really capable of locomotion or the ability to quickly move away from a source of pain? Is it just because suffering is evolutionarily advantageous somehow?

However, if you really do believe that plants feel pain, you should definitely be a vegan because youíll kill the least plants that way. The cows and other animals you eat have to eat anywhere from eight to sixteen pounds of those poor suffering plants for you to get one pound of edible beef.

On a significantly less serious note, if you want to try being a ďbreatharian,Ē be sure to make out your will first. Talk to me in a couple of years about estate planningÖ ;-)
Old 12-26-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For years, my dad didn't eat any meat or dairy. I think it was more of an "eating healthy" thing for him, since I'm sure it had nothing to do with other medical issues or a "be nice to animals" platform.

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
If your dad had a Carlinesque sense of humor about the Catholic Church, you gave him the perfect setup for a real zinger.
Old 12-26-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." - A. Whitney Brown

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.