Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Need some Orlando theme pork advice

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 12-19-08, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I will be spending a few says post-cruise in Orlando. I've never been, and she's been to Disney once many years ago. We'll have all day Saturday and Sunday, with our flight home at 6:20 PM on Monday. This is the weekend of Jan 17-19, 2009.

Saturday - I've got La Nouba tickets for the 6:00 show. What would be a good Disney park to go to that day, and what are some good options for dinner after the show?

Sunday - I've got a ticket for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventures, plus the 8:30 Blue Man Group showing. I think I've got this day figured out.

Monday - Would another park day be worth it given the 6:20 flight home?

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-19-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you ever been to any Disney park? If not, I'd go to Magic Kingdom. If you've been to Disneyland, I'd go to Epcot.
Old 12-19-08, 04:01 PM

This quickest Disney park to see is Animal Kingdom so I would consider that for Monday (or MGM).
Old 12-19-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Since you're on DVD Talk, I'm assuming your somewhat of a movie fan.

MGM is the best park at Disney (honestly, whether you're a movie fan or not, but particularly if you are).

I also like the standard Universal Studios park over it's Islands of Adventure sister park (but they're side by side, so be sure to take time to check it out).
Old 12-19-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plenty of good dinner options at Downtown Disney after seeing La Nouba. There is a House of Blues right next to La Nouba and a Rainforest Cafe in the same complex both of which are pretty nice but you might have a wait especially at the Rainforest.
Old 12-19-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to Epcot. We have been to WDW twice and it is by far our favorite park and alot to do. If you are staying close and the cost is low enough you could see alot of a park by the time you have to leave for the airport.
Old 12-19-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian_92gsr View Post
My girlfriend and I will be spending a few says post-cruise in Orlando. I've never been, and she's been to Disney once many years ago. We'll have all day Saturday and Sunday, with our flight home at 6:20 PM on Monday. This is the weekend of Jan 17-19, 2009.

Saturday - I've got La Nouba tickets for the 6:00 show. What would be a good Disney park to go to that day, and what are some good options for dinner after the show?

Sunday - I've got a ticket for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventures, plus the 8:30 Blue Man Group showing. I think I've got this day figured out.

Monday - Would another park day be worth it given the 6:20 flight home?

Any other suggestions?

If you haven't thought about it already. Buy the fast passes at universal. I think you can buy a 2 park 1 day fast pass for $5 more than a single. Best $35 I spent while on my trip there.
Old 12-19-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Orlando - Interbreed champion Newbury 2002

Old 12-20-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 12-20-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything you need to know.
Old 12-20-08, 07:51 AM
Banned

Old 12-20-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Right now according to www.touringplans.com crowd calendar, best parks are (click on link to see most crowded parks as well):

Jan 17 EP
Jan 18 DS
Jan 19 EP

Obviously if you want to go to Magic Kingdom, you'll just have to go on a day when it's not a recommended park (at least on Saturday, it's not "not recommended.") If you plan on eating in a sit down Disney World restaurant that is in a park, make your reservations now.

I think it's best to get to the parks so you can go right through when they open. I never bring a bag because they have a separate line for people who don't need to have security search their bags. Put your cell phone in a ziplock so it doesn't get ruined on rides like Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids. FWIW, I think it's best to go on rides till lunch, then nap or swim, then go back in the evening. Every time I've tried to go on rides all day it, I've ended up sore, miserable and cranky by the end of the day. Also, grab fastpasses even before they're really necessary. In the morning you can usually get more because the fast pass window is often shorter than 2 hours. I collect them for the evening because while you can never use one early, they'll almost always let you use them late so long as it's the same day. I stand in line when the lines are short in the morning, then use my fastpasses all in a row in the evening when the lines are longer.

As for Universal, if you stay in their hotels, you get "free" front of the line. It's different from the kind you buy because you can go to the same rides over and over and get front of the line access.
Old 12-20-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian_92gsr View Post
Sunday - I've got a ticket for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, plus the 8:30 Blue Man Group showing. I think I've got this day figured out.
Islands of Adventure is, IMO, the best theme park in the Orlando area because it has the best rides of any of the parks there. If you like rides, I recommend planning to spend a lot more time there on that day than at Universal Studios.

Old 12-20-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
islands of adventure is, imo, the best theme park in the orlando area because it has the best rides of any of the parks there. If you like rides, i recommend planning to spend a lot more time there on that day than at universal studios.

+1
Old 12-20-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would recommend going with the pirate theme, you with a ruffled shirt, her in a halter and long skirt with lots of hanging jewelry, then pork away! The "Cop and tourist" theme might be fun to try too.