Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend any charming, hipster towns in Florida?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 12-10-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any charming, hipster, lively, non-retirement-type, Berkeley California-type, Park Slope Brooklyn-type towns in Florida?

I've only been to Miami, Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, and St. Petersburg/Tampa, and none of these areas are what I like....
Old 12-10-08, 09:33 PM

charming+hipster does not computer
Old 12-10-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Bus said this place was kickin'.....

Old 12-10-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Are there any charming, hipster, lively, non-retirement-type, Berkeley California-type, Park Slope Brooklyn-type towns in Florida?
Old 12-10-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude. It's Florida.

I'm in Gainesville right now and you might like it for the gorgeous co-eds. But hipster? Charming? Not really.
Old 12-10-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, let me re-word this..hahaha...are there any nice college-type towns in Florida? And not some crazy spring break, frat boy town....
Old 12-10-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lord Rick View Post
Dude. It's Florida.

I'm in Gainesville right now and you might like it for the gorgeous co-eds. But hipster? Charming? Not really.
I kind of miss GVille since graduating. (Not that I'd want to live there forever.)
Old 12-10-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Parts of Jacksonville and parts of Pensacola. But that is IT. I lived in Florida too long. Definitely no hipster towns, but parts of Jax and Pensacola are ok.
Old 12-10-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, let me re-word this..hahaha...are there any nice college-type towns in Florida? And not some crazy spring break, frat boy town....
Are there any college towns that aren't crazy spring break types? And what wrong with Miami?
Old 12-11-08, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Parts of Jacksonville and parts of Pensacola. But that is IT. I lived in Florida too long. Definitely no hipster towns, but parts of Jax and Pensacola are ok.
Which parts of Jacksonville and Pensacola?
Old 12-11-08, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So not Key West?
Old 12-11-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You sure you did not mean broken hipster?
Old 12-11-08, 07:07 AM

In Jax, try the San Marco and Riverside areas... young(ish) and hip(ish). A nice blend of money, kitsch and penniless artist-types.

penniless-Jim
Old 12-11-08, 07:16 AM
Admin

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I've only been to Miami, Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, and St. Petersburg/Tampa, and none of these areas are what I like....
They're trying to turn downtown Tampa into a more trendy place with Channelside and Ybor City so close, but it will never compare to the places you mentioned. There's even less chance now since the real estate market went belly up in FL. Thankfully, I don't care about trends.
Old 12-11-08, 08:48 AM

Maybe they can move Madison, Wisconsin to Polk county for you. What you seek does not exist.
Old 12-11-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
They're trying to turn downtown Tampa into a more trendy place with Channelside and Ybor City so close, but it will never compare to the places you mentioned. There's even less chance now since the real estate market went belly up in FL. Thankfully, I don't care about trends.
well, the people in charge of Tampa have a huge job of turning their pseudo city into something up-and-coming. Tampa was the most disappointing city I've ever been to. If Tampa had been labeled a "small town" rather than a city, then I probably wouldn't have been that disappointed. But even for a town, it was still depressing - they have a parking lot in the middle of their town, a small street with some bars, a lake, no one walking around, and a college - it's a start, but i'm not that impressed.
Old 12-11-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 12-11-08, 09:27 AM
Admin

well, the people in charge of Tampa have a huge job of turning their pseudo city into something up-and-coming. Tampa was the most disappointing city I've ever been to. If Tampa had been labeled a "small town" rather than a city, then I probably wouldn't have been that disappointed. But even for a town, it was still depressing - they have a parking lot in the middle of their town, a small street with some bars, a lake, no one walking around, and a college - it's a start, but i'm not that impressed.
Why would you walk around when there are cars everywhere?

It would be nice to have some public transportation here, but I think they're just looking to build more roads.
Old 12-11-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 12-11-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well this is proof you simply do not understand Florida. By this definition Orlando would seem small because Tampa's downtown and Orlando's are almost identical in size and scene. The reason for the primacy of cars and the tiny downtown regions are urban sprawl, which is a problem for 90% of the cities in florida. No one walks in florida, its too fucking hot and too spread out. You drive where you need to go, run into the AC and head back to the car when done. "Hipsters" hate sweat as much as the next guy.
Old 12-11-08, 09:34 AM
Admin

I don't think the OP is going to find what he seeks in FL.

However, it was 84 deg yesterday. I had to put the AC on in the car.
Old 12-11-08, 09:37 AM

Nope, he will be disappointed no matter what.
Old 12-11-08, 10:59 AM
Admin

I will say that Key West is pretty hipster or at least quirky as far as FL goes. Probably too laid back for the Chelsea kind of crowd though.
Old 12-11-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I do like Miami, but not for family...if i didn't have a kid, I would move to miami, but i like towns/cities in which people are out walking on the street. I understand that Floridians are lazy and like to drive everywhere with their A.C...

Decadence, it's not the size of the town or city, it's what makes that town or city (stores, cafes, people). I'm assuming that Orlando is more of a place to visit than going to Tampa. The biggest vacation mistake of my life was taking a week trip to St. Pete/Tampa - a boring, dead, depressing area. The beaches are nice of course, but that's about it...

VinVega, I'm dying to visit Key West, I bet I would like that for vacationing, but I have no idea about living there...
Old 12-11-08, 11:08 AM
Admin

You don't need a week to see Tampa. Maybe a week in Rome, but not Tampa.

Also, if you're looking to raise a family are you really going to be spending a lot of time at trendy restaurants/clubs? And on the family note, save your money so you can afford private school if you move to FL. The state does not value education here at all. The schools are not good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.