Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Time for a new washer - so many options! Help!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 11-25-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our washing machine is rusting into the barrel and staining clothes, so it's time for a new one.

I hear good things about front loaders - EXCEPT for some negatives with washing diapers (which I will be doing). Seems using less water isn't so great when you're washing poop

If you've bought a new washer lately, what did you buy and do you like it? I'm especially interested in what the other cloth diaper users use and how well they like it.

I'd like to spend under $1000, preferably a lot less, so that may cut out most of the front loaders.
Old 11-25-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 227 Likes on 168 Posts
I was gonna recommend a front loader but didn't know about the diaper thing.

How about getting a diaper service?

So, how is little Simon doing?
Old 11-25-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stop your whining, if this was good enough for grandma, it should be good enough for you:

Just kidding!!!, I'd recommend Maytag or Whirlpool.
Old 11-25-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whirlpool Duet but it is a front loader ...
Old 11-25-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts
Very happy with our LG steamwasher.. It works great, gets the clothes nice and clean, and make a nice happy sound when you turn it on.
Old 11-25-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Bought an Amana Front load, around $500 or so, back in May, and it's worked fine so far. don't have any experience with diapers tho.

don't forget to check with your water/power/gas utilities, they may have a rebate if you buy an energy star washer.
Old 11-25-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
So, how is little Simon doing?
He's doing great! He's playing, smiling and laughing now so he's become lots of fun
Old 11-25-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
We have a Maytag Performa top loader we really like. We use disposable diapers, but Dana's clothes, burp cloths and bibs come out nice and clean, so I would guess diapers would too.
Old 11-25-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=10&loc=05

$1000 for a pair of front loading frigidaires

$600 for an old school pair:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=10&loc=05

http://a.slickdeals.net/attachment.p...3&d=1227651591
Old 11-25-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I have the whirlpool duets washer and dryers. I love em, but .... because they are front loaders they do have a smell because of the water build up. Which if you dont wipe it out every so often will start to grow mold. It is pretty common and just a design flaw but overall they are great and would by the set again.

do a google search and you will see what i mean.
Old 11-26-08, 06:58 AM
Admin

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts
How about getting a diaper service?
Hmm, I just googled "frugal" and "mosquitobite" came up 4367 times.
Old 11-26-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you get a front loader, make sure to leave the door open when you're not using it to prevent the mold buildup. You can also run an cycle every once in a while with bleach to help, although that cuts into your energy and water savings.
Old 11-26-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found a review of a Samsung that uses silver ions? Supposedly that cuts down on the mold & mildew problem?

Does that sound far fetched?

And thanks Jacoby!! Now that's a frugal choice!
Old 11-26-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 227 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Hmm, I just googled "frugal" and "mosquitobite" came up 4367 times.
But think of the child! Don't go cheap now.

Silver ions? Never heard of that. Sounds very "sexy" so maybe someone has one of new-fangled machines and can comment on it.
Old 11-26-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts
But think of the child! Don't go cheap now.

Silver ions? Never heard of that. Sounds very "sexy" so maybe someone has one of new-fangled machines and can comment on it.
I don't know. We use ionic silver in the room humidifier. But it only uses about 2-3 gallons of water per week. I think the silver is supposed to last for a year. A friend of ours uses ionic silver in her jacuzzi, but it recirculates. It doesn't flush all its water down the drain every time you use it.
Old 11-26-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by damn_skippy View Post
I have the whirlpool duets washer and dryers. I love em, but .... because they are front loaders they do have a smell because of the water build up. Which if you dont wipe it out every so often will start to grow mold. It is pretty common and just a design flaw but overall they are great and would by the set again.

do a google search and you will see what i mean.
After a wash, I just leave the door open for a day or 2. Never have the smell or mold build up.
Old 11-26-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought a new house last year and went with a Kenmore Oasis which is essentially a front loader design that is actually a top loader, so no water build-up mold issues. It is super quiet and no agitator sticking up in the middle. Clothes come out almost dry.
Old 11-26-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 124 Posts
I live in a townhouse with limited space in the utility room, so I have to have a stacking washer and drier. I have the top-of-the-line Kenmore, and I've been very happy with it. The best thing is that when the drier is above the washer, you don't have to bend over and strain your back loading and unloading it.

Most people wouldn't consider the stacking units unless they had space considerations, but they're worth a look. Oh, and if you do choose them, make sure you don't buy the cheapies where you can only use one appliance at a time. It's worth the extra money to be able to use both the washer and the drier at once.
Old 11-26-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Washing diapers?
Old 11-26-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. Washing all the baby clothes is bad enough already.
Old 11-26-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
We got the basic LG front loader washer and dryer earlier this year (or was it late last year). Anyway, we love the washer. Just awesome. Our laundry room is near a room we use all the time so we wanted a quite one in additon to one that works well. It does. Highly, Highly recommended.

The dryer is good. I still don't think we have it totally figured out. Occassionally our clothing comes out wrinkled. It is good. And does a good job. Just not as impressed as witht he washer.
Old 11-26-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by zuffy View Post
After a wash, I just leave the door open for a day or 2. Never have the smell or mold build up.
When not in use, i just leave the door permanently open. No smell or mold build up here either.

Another thing with front loads is don't put too much soap, and make sure to use HE soap.
Old 11-26-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
The "leave the door open" on front loaders is a standard recommendation. We are not religous about it, but whenever we think about it we leave it open. So far no problems at all. I think the point is just to let some air circulation in to let everything dry out.

I would NOT let this minor issue (and I wouldn't call it an issue, but a "workflow") from getting a front loader. I'm amazed at how little water it uses, but everything is so clean. And never a soapy film. And just the smallest amount of fabric softener will at a nice clean smell to your stuff.
Old 11-26-08, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Very happy with our LG steamwasher.. It works great, gets the clothes nice and clean, and make a nice happy sound when you turn it on.
We have the same and are very happy. One thing about these washers that is different from others on the market is the "sanitary wash". The washer has a heater built in that warms the water to 190 F.

We bought it specifically for kid's things.
Old 11-26-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys love your kids too much. It makes them soft.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.