Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Furniture given to me, now wanted back. Legal advice?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 11-24-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all -

Just to sum a long story short (and bolded for easy reading!) a relative moved in for a week to get away from her boyfriend who beat up her and her kid. We kicked her out the other night once we found out she went back to him and she only wanted to live at our house during the week so that she and the baby could live with the boyfriend on the weekends (even though it violates a court order she got for him to stay away from her and the baby). She didn't pay for a single thing while here, nor was money any requested. During the move of her stuff, she gave my wife and I her bed since it was relatively new and the 2nd bedroom she was staying in wasn't big enough for it (queen size bed). The bed had been abandoned at her parents house for over 30 days as they also kicked her out for having the abusive boyfriend on their property. IN front of the parents and friends who had come to help us move her she stated that it was ours. We then got rid of our old bed and have no way of getting it back.

Needless to say, she is very upset about getting kicked out and now is demanding her bed back. She also has left several other items at the house (such as a dresser, clothes and a baby's crib). Does she have any legal recourse to get her bed back? We want her to come and get her things at her convienence. She is demanding we take her things to a second location where she can pick them up without having to drive a half an hour. We have stated that we do not want to transport her property but that she is welcome to get it at a reasonable hour.

Also, some other bulleted points:
- the boyfriend not only beat her up, but her 7 month old child too. It's not the first time either...
- She did charge him with assault, which means he now has a rap sheet that includes 2 DUIs, 1 possession of cocaine, and now 2 assualt charges.
- We got a no trespass order against him the other night, as we told her that our house was a safe house and we didn't want him in our house, let alone know where we lived. That is now taken care of luckily.

Also, should I send her a certified, delivery receipt requested letter asking her to remove her stuff within 30 days (not including our bed of course)?

Last edited by kneijst1; 11-24-08 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 132 Posts
Legally and morally, the stuff belongs to you.

You may want to give her the stuff to make her go away, though.
Old 11-24-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Relatives. Pee on her stuff and give it back. Dont know about the bed. I guess maybe you should have taken the circumstances into consideration before getting rid of your bed? I guess a certified, R/Reciept letter with 30 days notice would be fine, but do you think it will mean anything to her?
Old 11-24-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ernestrp View Post
Relatives. Pee on her stuff and give it back.
Great minds think alike, but you forgot the cum part
Old 11-24-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ernestrp View Post
Relatives. Pee on her stuff and give it back. Dont know about the bed. I guess maybe you should have taken the circumstances into consideration before getting rid of your bed? I guess a certified, R/Reciept letter with 30 days notice would be fine, but do you think it will mean anything to her?
I'm not sure... I don't think she really cares about any of the stuff, she just wants some "revenge" against my wife and I for helping her out. Our condo is small (750 sq ft, 2 small bedrooms), so we really didn't have room for a full bed, queen bed and single bed. We gave away the full knowing that the queen bed was a gift for our keeping...
Old 11-24-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Time to go to the mattresses.
Old 11-24-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Legally, the bed is yours. Thanks for giving me a hypo to help me study for my property and contracts exam.
Old 11-24-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TruGator View Post
Legally, the bed is yours. Thanks for giving me a hypo to help me study for my property and contracts exam.
cool! Anytime, anytime.
Old 11-24-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call child protective services.
Old 11-24-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tell the cops that her boyfriend is violating a restraining order.
Old 11-24-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Child protective services is investigating. She brought her boyfriend to our house so we issued a no trespassing...the police had to come for that. They pulled him up on the restraining order while he was standing at her side and they said they wanted to be together so the police said there was nothing they could do. He's making nice so he doesn't get charged with 2 counts of assault and battery that he's out on bond for...and he doesn't want to pay child support. He told her he was going to change and that they'd settle everything out of court "like adults."
Old 11-24-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kneijst1 View Post
Hey all -

Just to sum a long story short (and bolded for easy reading!) a relative moved in for a week to get away from her boyfriend who beat up her and her kid. We kicked her out the other night once we found out she went back to him and she only wanted to live at our house during the week so that she and the baby could live with the boyfriend on the weekends (even though it violates a court order she got for him to stay away from her and the baby). She didn't pay for a single thing while here, nor was money any requested. During the move of her stuff, she gave my wife and I her bed since it was relatively new and the 2nd bedroom she was staying in wasn't big enough for it (queen size bed). The bed had been abandoned at her parents house for over 30 days as they also kicked her out for having the abusive boyfriend on their property. IN front of the parents and friends who had come to help us move her she stated that it was ours. We then got rid of our old bed and have no way of getting it back.

Needless to say, she is very upset about getting kicked out and now is demanding her bed back. She also has left several other items at the house (such as a dresser, clothes and a baby's crib). Does she have any legal recourse to get her bed back? We want her to come and get her things at her convienence. She is demanding we take her things to a second location where she can pick them up without having to drive a half an hour. We have stated that we do not want to transport her property but that she is welcome to get it at a reasonable hour.

Also, some other bulleted points:
- the boyfriend not only beat her up, but her 7 month old child too. It's not the first time either...
- She did charge him with assault, which means he now has a rap sheet that includes 2 DUIs, 1 possession of cocaine, and now 2 assualt charges.
- We got a no trespass order against him the other night, as we told her that our house was a safe house and we didn't want him in our house, let alone know where we lived. That is now taken care of luckily.

Also, should I send her a certified, delivery receipt requested letter asking her to remove her stuff within 30 days (not including our bed of course)?
First I question the wisdom of taking someone into your home whose parents kicked out of their own home.

Just give her back all of the stuff that she gave you (or left). Arrange to bring it to the 2nd location.... considering the type of people she associates with, I don't think you want her boyfriend or his friends coming to your place to pick the stuff up.

Discuss the date and time with her on the phone and follow it up with a letter.

In the long run, it will be well worth the time and effort to rid yourself of those things...and her.
Old 11-24-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
First I question the wisdom of taking someone into your home whose parents kicked out of their own home.

Just give her back all of the stuff that she gave you (or left). Arrange to bring it to the 2nd location.... considering the type of people she associates with, I don't think you want her boyfriend or his friends coming to your place to pick the stuff up.

In the long run, it will be well worth the time and effort to rid yourself of those things...and her.
but pee on the mattress first.
Old 11-24-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post

I already paid for a uhaul to move the items the first time. It won't be happening again.
Old 11-24-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already paid for a uhaul to move the items the first time. It won't be happening again.
Then you'll be ignoring some very good advice. I'll try to help as well - you want to minimize (as in eliminate) further contact with these people.
Old 11-24-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mankal View Post
Great minds think alike, but you forgot the cum part
I wouldn't want any DNA that can be traced back to me on anything she owns.

Originally Posted by Lord Rick View Post
Then you'll be ignoring some very good advice. I'll try to help as well - you want to minimize (as in eliminate) further contact with these people.
Seconded in the strongest way possible. This is a situation where it doesn't pay to be cheap.

Arrange a time and place, tell her you're going to be firm about it, then rent a truck and take all of her shit, including the bad, to the designated drop-off point. Unload the truck even if she isn't there, and leave.

And if she ever had a key to your condo, change the locks.
Old 11-24-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
I wouldn't want any DNA that can be traced back to me on anything she owns.

Seconded in the strongest way possible. This is a situation where it doesn't pay to be cheap.

Arrange a time and place, tell her you're going to be firm about it, then rent a truck and take all of her shit, including the bad, to the designated drop-off point. Unload the truck even if she isn't there, and leave.

And if she ever had a key to your condo, change the locks.
Agreed, as much as you may be right in every possible way, it's worth it to go the extra mile to cut the relationship for good, after you call child protective services about the child of course.
Old 11-24-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
Agreed, as much as you may be right in every possible way, it's worth it to go the extra mile to cut the relationship for good, after you call child protective services about the child of course.
Yep. My first thought was that the bed is yours, but these last few posts really make sense. This added point about CPS is a valid one, too.
Old 11-24-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll put it this way - I could get that bed back for her, very easily too. And I can practice in VA too. So let's hope she doesn't find me
Old 11-24-08, 11:35 PM
Suspended

keep the shit issue a restraining order
Old 11-25-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I'll put it this way - I could get that bed back for her, very easily too. And I can practice in VA too. So let's hope she doesn't find me
Could you get the pee stains out of it?
Old 11-25-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Child protective services is investigating. She brought her boyfriend to our house so we issued a no trespassing...the police had to come for that. They pulled him up on the restraining order while he was standing at her side and they said they wanted to be together so the police said there was nothing they could do.
Sounds like some lazy cops. The court that issued the restraining order is the only entity that can modify or terminate the restraining order. Consent of the protected party is not generally a defense to violation of a R/O.
Old 11-25-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As others have stated - the bed is legally yours, but give it back anyway. You want to break all contact with these people. Chalk it up as the cost of learning a lesson.
Old 11-25-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be the bigger person - give it back - and don't make property deals with people you don't trust in the future.
Old 11-25-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Could you get the pee stains out of it?
We are a full service firm.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.