Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

YAFT: Teen commits suicide in front of a LIVE WEBCAM AUDIENCE!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 11-21-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No laugh track here, all real: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...rBdvgD94JDMM00

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a South Florida teen committed suicide in front of a live online webcam audience after blogging about his plan to kill himself.

Broward County medical examiner's office investigator Wendy Crane says 19-year-old Abraham Biggs died Wednesday from a toxic combination of opiates and benzodiazepine (ben-ZOH'-die-AZ'-uh-peen - ask for it by name, kids! ), a depressant used to treat insomnia.

People were watching through a body building Web site and Crane says some were encouraging, others tried to talk him out of it, and a few were debating whether the dose he took was lethal. Crane says someone notified the moderator, who traced the teen's location and called police. Biggs was dead by the time they got there.

Crane says he was just seen lying on the bed at that point.
I suppose this is probably the same body building forum that we saw last week or so with the "my girlfriend, nah just fraudin' lolz" thread.
Old 11-21-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teen commits suicide live online. FL this time.

Florida at it again

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=670179

A teenager has broadcast his suicide over a live internet video stream and was apparently egged on by some of the people watching the tragic event online.

Abraham Biggs, 19, of Pembroke Pines, Florida, died on Wednesday from a toxic combination of opiates and benzodiazepine, a drug used to treat insomnia and depression, said Wendy Crane, an investigator with the Broward County medical examiner's office.

Some of those watching encouraged Biggs, others tried to talk him out of it and a few debated whether the dose he took was lethal, Crane said.

"People were egging him on and saying things like 'go ahead and do it, faggot'," she said.

Biggs stated his intentions in a forum at Bodybuilding.com, where some users said they did not take him seriously because he had made previous statements about killing himself, Crane said.

He posted a link from the forum to Justin.tv, a site that allows users to broadcast live videos from their webcams.

Someone finally notified the moderator of the bodybuilding site's forum, who traced the teenager's location and called police. But Biggs was dead by the time they got to his house mid-afternoon on Wednesday, Crane said.

"He was just seen laying on the bed at that point," she said.

He had started blogging about 12 hours earlier.

Condolences poured into his MySpace page, where the mostly unsmiling teenager is seen posing in a series of pictures with various young women.

A woman who answered the phone at Biggs' home and identified herself as his sister said the family was still dealing with his death and declined to comment.

Biggs' father, Abraham Biggs Sr, told ABCNews.com that he was not home when his son died.

He said his son struggled with depression and had been prescribed benzodiazepine to treat bipolar disorder.

Biggs had been "doing better", his father said. "He was a good kid."

The elder Biggs said he was upset that Justin.tv streamed his son's suicide live.

"There seems to be a lack of control as to what people put out on the internet," he said.

"There's a lot of garbage out there that should not be, and unfortunately this was allowed to happen."

In a statement, Justin.tv CEO Michael Seibel said: "We regret that this has occurred and want to respect the privacy of the broadcaster and his family during this time."

Crane said she knew of at least one other case in which a Florida man shot himself in the head in front of an online audience, although she didn't know how much viewers saw.

In Britain last year, a man hung himself while chatting online.

I hope it wasn't potential guy. but come on now really. might as well join a cult or something.
Old 11-21-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"There seems to be a lack of control as to what people put out on the internet," he said.
There's so much to argue with in that one statement, but I'm just going to let the dad grieve.
Old 11-21-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess he just didn't have any potential...
Old 11-21-08, 03:43 PM
Banned

Cool. I wanna see!
Old 11-21-08, 03:43 PM

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
Cool. I wanna see!
Old 11-21-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yay, not Flor----

Aw, shit.
Old 11-21-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Real men don't kill themselves with a drug overdose. (On Purpose)
Old 11-21-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The elder Biggs said he was upset that Justin.tv streamed his son's suicide live.

I wonder what he'll say when someone explains to him that Justin.tv is just a tool that lets anyone stream to the Internet, and his son is the one with the "lack of self control" who put his suicide on there?
Old 11-21-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
Old 11-21-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 152 Likes on 110 Posts
Told you he was hardcore.
Old 11-21-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
Suicide isn't a laughing matter but damn I was ROFL at that one
Old 11-21-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He said his son struggled with depression and had been prescribed benzodiazepine to treat bipolar disorder.
Hopefully he misspoke, because Benzo + mood disorder (particularly BPD, which tends to have large swings in affect, impulsivity, etc) + higher risk group = bad idea. Benzos are quite popular in ODs....at least part of the problem.
Old 11-21-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I wonder what he'll say when someone explains to him that Justin.tv is just a tool that lets anyone stream to the Internet, and his son is the one with the "lack of self control" who put his suicide on there?
I believe that sites that host user-generated content in the form of images or videos have a social responsibility to moderate that content. If they can afford the hardware and bandwidth to host a site like that, they can easily afford to pay a few people in the Philippines or wherever to make sure it meets basic decency standards. No one wants to read a news article about how the site they own hosted a video of someone being murdered, committing suicide, etc.
Old 11-21-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 81 Posts
I wouldn't.
Old 11-21-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post
I believe that sites that host user-generated content in the form of images or videos have a social responsibility to moderate that content. If they can afford the hardware and bandwidth to host a site like that, they can easily afford to pay a few people in the Philippines or wherever to make sure it meets basic decency standards. No one wants to read a news article about how the site they own hosted a video of someone being murdered, committing suicide, etc.
If someone reports illegal content to the site, then absolutely the site should do something about it. But to have them monitor everything going on is absurd, invasive, and impractical for the major sites. Justin TV has a mere five hundred some channels, which would take several full-time employees to police, but Stickam has 20,000 live streams as I type this -- there is no way anyone can monitor all of them. That'd be like AOL or Yahoo having moderators in all of their chatrooms, including the private ones..
Old 11-22-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
What a dumbass.
Old 11-22-08, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn.

A bunch of callous fuckers in this thread.
Old 11-22-08, 01:48 PM

saw this on another forum...apparently from the owner/admin of the site:

- CandyJunkie creates thread telling Misc. he'll overdose himself again on drugs live on Justin.tv
- CandyJunkie posts the amount of drugs he's going to take
- Mods don't take it seriously because of his past trolling
- People egg him on
- CandyJunkie posts a copied suicide note
- People keep egging him on
- He pops the pills and goes to sleep
- He breathes for a few hours, people think he's going to be alright and keep joking and trash talking on his JTV log.
- Some time later many people realize he was not moving.
- I find his personal details through E-detectivery, I figure out his name and number and location.
- Personal details posted on Misc. I request people to call the cops because I live in India and had no way to make International calls all by myself.
- People tell me he's a troll and nobody calls. Staberella especially is quite a huge cynic and says that he wasn't going to die on that kind of drugs, she insists nothing is going to happen and that people should just gtfo of the thread.
- I send an email to Miami Police on their official email on their website, Email not functioning!
- I call Miami Police from my dad's phone and speak to at least three cops and one person from the 911 line (whatever it is) for over 8 minutes about the situation, the people there do not take the case seriously and tell me to call the sheriff of his county, and give me the sheriff's number even after I told them I was speaking from a different country and that this was an emergency.
- I post the sheriff's number on the Misc. thread
- People tell me to quit worrying and that they're 100% sure its a loop and he's just fraudin'
-jjlee138 (Rep this dude) calls the Broward County Sheriff's office and speaks to them about the situation along with a couple of other people. By the time I called, it turns out 3 people had already called them about it.
- People wait for the cops to bust in on the JTV cam.
- Some people start thinking nobody called the cops, at least 5 more people call the cops, they were told the cops were on it
- 25 minutes after the first call to the cops, the cops bust in. They cover the webcam
- People speculating whether he's dead or not
- At this point of time a lot of people start deleting/editing their posts everywhere. PM me for the original thread content.
- Friends post messages on his myspace worried about him, no response from him.
- His best friend posts a thread on the Misc. and informs the people that he's dead.
- Some people still think its a bluff
Old 11-22-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker View Post
Damn.

A bunch of callous fuckers in this thread.
Hope you weren't talking about me. Because I'll kill myself. Only I'll do it much more slowly, in agonizing pain.

I'm going to watch 12 hours of fullscreen movies and y'all can see my body convulse, writher, shake, rattle, and rollover until I take my last breath.

I guess he's a dead dumbass now. All people like this want attention, and for a mass audience to feel sorry. In any other circumstance, they'd never get such attention. Well, he sure has the attention now. Only possibly not quite what he expected.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-22-08 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-22-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post
I believe that sites that host user-generated content in the form of images or videos have a social responsibility to moderate that content.
Justin TV monitors the hell out of their content when they are made aware of something.

You must not have been trying to watch the UFC 91 feeds to catch the Lesnar Couture fight.

They were closing those feeds down so fast you had to keep 6 open to keep the fight, I finally had to catch another stream on another site.
Old 11-22-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Hope you weren't talking about me. Because I'll kill myself. Only I'll do it much more slowly, in agonizing pain.
Shut up and do it, already!
Old 11-22-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake View Post
I hope it wasn't potential guy. but come on now really. might as well join a cult or something, bra.
Fixed that for you. Required when talking about Bodybuilding.com, bra.
Old 11-22-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
There's so much to argue with in that one statement, but I'm just going to let the dad grieve.
The dad is right. However, it's also the way it always will be.
Old 11-22-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ValeTudoChokeOu View Post
saw this on another forum...apparently from the owner/admin of the site:

- CandyJunkie creates thread telling Misc. he'll overdose himself again on drugs live on Justin.tv
- CandyJunkie posts the amount of drugs he's going to take
- Mods don't take it seriously because of his past trolling
- People egg him on
- CandyJunkie posts a copied suicide note
- People keep egging him on
- He pops the pills and goes to sleep
- He breathes for a few hours, people think he's going to be alright and keep joking and trash talking on his JTV log.
- Some time later many people realize he was not moving.
- I find his personal details through E-detectivery, I figure out his name and number and location.
- Personal details posted on Misc. I request people to call the cops because I live in India and had no way to make International calls all by myself.
- People tell me he's a troll and nobody calls. Staberella especially is quite a huge cynic and says that he wasn't going to die on that kind of drugs, she insists nothing is going to happen and that people should just gtfo of the thread.
- I send an email to Miami Police on their official email on their website, Email not functioning!
- I call Miami Police from my dad's phone and speak to at least three cops and one person from the 911 line (whatever it is) for over 8 minutes about the situation, the people there do not take the case seriously and tell me to call the sheriff of his county, and give me the sheriff's number even after I told them I was speaking from a different country and that this was an emergency.
- I post the sheriff's number on the Misc. thread
- People tell me to quit worrying and that they're 100% sure its a loop and he's just fraudin'
-jjlee138 (Rep this dude) calls the Broward County Sheriff's office and speaks to them about the situation along with a couple of other people. By the time I called, it turns out 3 people had already called them about it.
- People wait for the cops to bust in on the JTV cam.
- Some people start thinking nobody called the cops, at least 5 more people call the cops, they were told the cops were on it
- 25 minutes after the first call to the cops, the cops bust in. They cover the webcam
- People speculating whether he's dead or not
- At this point of time a lot of people start deleting/editing their posts everywhere. PM me for the original thread content.
- Friends post messages on his myspace worried about him, no response from him.
- His best friend posts a thread on the Misc. and informs the people that he's dead.
- Some people still think its a bluff
that is a chilling account of what happened. i cant imagine witnessing that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.