DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Moving to Erie, PA from Cali....Need advice. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/544165-moving-erie-pa-cali-need-advice.html)

amplified 11-20-08 10:42 PM

Moving to Erie, PA from Cali....Need advice.

Ok....

I just accepted a position in Erie, PA and will be leaving Northern California for Erie in Mid to late December.

Having never lived anywhere other than California (both SoCal and NorCal) what should I expect? I've been to the snow (mountains) but I've never even seen snow fall. :eek:

We are renting a large moving truck which I'll be driving and I'll be towing our minivan behind. My wife will be in the Camry following behind us (low profile tires).

Will I need chains for the moving truck and car that time of year? Will I need snow tires before I go? Do I need to consider purchasing 4wd?

nodeerforamonth 11-20-08 11:54 PM

Well according to our President elect, be prepared to be around a bunch of people who hang onto "their guns & religion".

You're in for a treat to see snow fall. Very beautiful! Christmas will feel like Christmas. Snow! I envy you!

Dress warm in the winter. I'm from NY, and you know that the first thing Californians say when you say you're from the East Coast is that "it's so cold over there!" My answer? "It's not if you dress for it! You can't wear shorts in the winter!" So dress warmly and you won't be so cold.

wabio 11-21-08 12:16 AM

I did the same thing. Went from lifelong SoCal to New England. It's a vastly different lifestyle. The snow gets old quick when you live in it, instead of riding it. Get used to not seeing the sun for weeks on end.....and for lunatic sports fans.

My Other Self 11-21-08 04:07 AM

Okay well I can give you some advice. I'm from Buffalo (about 2 hours north of Erie) and moved to Cali (Northern California to be exact - so the exact opposite of what you're doing).

Erie lies along Lake Erie, so expect Lake Effect Snowfall in the Winter. It gets bitter cold - ranging from negative digits in December/January.. with snowfall from November (sometimes October) until early April. Summers are nice, 70s/80s, but they don't last long.

I've been to Erie 100s of times since it was always a pitstop on childhood roadtrips. It's not a bad city, just not lots to do. Chains is something that's primarily out West. There's no "Chain Attachment" pulloffs on Interstates and such. That's just out here. People out there have either snow tires or year round tires which eliminate the use of chains - having lived not far from Erie for 20 or so years, I never once saw chain use until I moved to California.

When you grocery shop, shop at Wegmans. Best grocery chain on the East Coast and is a staple in Erie. Best damn subs you'll ever eat, too.

Just be prepared.. it's a hell of a transition. I felt I was in a different world when I came from there to here. It's night and day. And be prepared for rampant Cleveland and Pittsburgh sports fans (you're halfway to both). Any other questions just let me know.

I'm very familiar with downtown, Peach St., and all the others inbetween. :)

Ronnie Dobbs 11-21-08 04:16 AM

I'm sorry. We use to drive through there all the time, nothing interesting about it at all. Is the money worth relocating there? I hope so.

spainlinx0 11-21-08 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth (Post 9085630)
You're in for a treat to see snow fall. Very beautiful! Christmas will feel like Christmas. Snow! I envy you!

If you're not playing in it, or if it's not getting you out of school, snow is a horrible burden. I can't believe someone living in San Diego envies anybody's weather.

Red Dog 11-21-08 09:10 AM

Bring your longjohns.

BuddhaWake 11-21-08 09:11 AM

Erie is like the coldest place in PA. never been there but I know a few people from there.

Nifty03 11-21-08 11:05 AM

Went to School there, 3 years at Penn State Behrend Campus. Seems like there was a bar on every corner (but that is pretty much all were were looking for) and it's a great place to get wings. There is some skiing you can do if you drive east into NY and Presque Isle State Park is a nice place to go all year round.

I think Peek'n Peak is where we skied

http://www.pknpk.com/

Plus you are only 2 hours from Pittsburgh, that that is one of the only Cities I would move back too, really liked it there.

NotThatGuy 11-21-08 11:12 AM

Have you ever wanted to go to the North Pole?

I second the money thing....that is a heck of a lifestyle change. Mid-dec too!

Charlie Goose 11-21-08 11:46 AM

Amplified's Diary

December 1: Moved to our new home in Erie. It is so beautiful here. The forests are so serene and picturesque. Deer Season will start soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such an elegant creature. The very symbol of peace and tranquility. Hope it will snow soon. I really love it here! Can hardly wait to see them all covered with snow. God's Country. I love it here!

December 6: It finally snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed in white. It looks just like a postcard. We went outside and cleared the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won) and when the snow plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. Mother Nature in perfect harmony. I love Erie.

December 12: More snow last night. I love it. The snow-plow did his trick again (that rascal). A winter wonderland, but pretty cold!

December 19: More snow last night. Couldn't even get out of the driveway to get to work this time. I'm exhausted from shoveling this stuff. Darn that old snow-plow!

December 22: More of that white shit fell last night. I've got blisters from shoveling this crap. I think the snow plow man hides around the corner and waits until I'm done shoveling the damn driveway, then he plows the fucking street, the Asshole!

December 25: "White Christmas" my busted ass! More fucking snow. If I ever get my hands on the son-of-a-bitch who drives that snowplow, I swear I will castrate the stupid bastard. Why don't they use more salt on the roads to melt all this ice.

December 28: Guess what? More white shit fell last night. Been inside since Christmas fucking Day except for shoveling out the driveway every time the "Snow Plow from Hell" comes by. Can't go anywhere, the car's buried in a mountain of frozen white shit. The weatherman says to expect another 10" tonight. Do you know how many shovels- full of white shit 10" is?

January 1: Happy Fucking New Year! The prick weatherman was wrong. We got 34" of the white shit this time. At this rate, it won't melt until the 4th of July. The snow plow got stuck up the road and the shithead driver had the balls to come to the door and ask to borrow my shovel. I told him I'd already broken 6 shovels digging out from under all the white shit he pushes back into my driveway and broke my last shovel over his God damned head.

January 4: Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food. On the way back a God damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit the fucker. Did about $3000 damage to the car. Those worthless deer shit-dropping road hazards should be exterminated. Wish the fucking hunters had killed them all last November.

May 3: Took the new car to the garage in town. Would you believe the body is rusting out from all that fucking salt they dumped on the roads all winter?!? My car looks like a piece of shit!

July 1: Moved to California.

Flashback 11-21-08 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 9086414)
Amplified's Diary

rotfl

BuddhaWake 11-21-08 12:37 PM

Amplified's Diary

July 1: Moved back to California.

fixed that for ya! true classic. I see it happening just like this too.

amplified 11-21-08 01:18 PM

Amplified's Diary

December 1: Moved to our new home in Erie. It is so beautiful here. The forests are so serene and picturesque. Deer Season will start soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such an elegant creature. The very symbol of peace and tranquility. Hope it will snow soon. I really love it here! Can hardly wait to see them all covered with snow. God's Country. I love it here!.........................

CG- I feel much better now :helpme:

Supermallet 11-21-08 01:28 PM

That's brilliant, Charlie.

I am a Los Angeles native and went to college in North Carolina. I had also never seen snow fall until that first college winter. The appeal wears off after it hits the ground and turns from beautiful white flakes to brown and grey sludge that both manages to slow you up while also making all walkways slick so you're constantly falling on your ass. I'll take those sunny California winters anyday, thanks.

SunMonkey 11-21-08 01:45 PM

Get a nice snow blower and you will be fine. We hop up to Presque Isle often when up north visiting family. I definitely miss the snow down here. :(

Jeeden 11-21-08 02:07 PM

What kind of vehicles do you drive? You can get SUV's pretty cheap right now..especially if your not paying for them in California.

Charlie Goose 11-21-08 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9086695)
That's brilliant, Charlie.

I didn't write it, it's been floating around for years. I just changed a few things to fit the situation. :)

Supermallet 11-21-08 03:41 PM

Fine, then I retract my compliment. :p

Shamus McAnally 11-21-08 05:26 PM

I live about 90 minutes SW of Erie.

I think I was only there once or twice in my life until a last year.

When I went there for a TSO concert a few years ago, there was a slow, steady snowfall all the way there.... and back. There was OK. Back was nuts!

Went there twice last year and twice this year. Erie has Waldameer Park with a couple of roller coasters. (You're also within a few hours of Kennywood, Hersheypark, and Knoebels. If you're into the coastering thing.)

The Plymouth Tavern serves up some good food and great drink specials. Right down the road is Sherlock's, Erie's home to good rock music and great drinks.

Erie is also home to the Erie Otters of the OHL. If you're into hockey, that works.

As mentioned, you're not too far from Pittsburgh, which is a wonderful place to get away to when you have the time/ability.

That's about my level of knowledge of Erie. Hope you find it enjoyable. And good luck acclimating to the snow/weather. It has to get old quick. (I've only ever lived it all my life, but I'm not as far north/close to Lake Erie, so I imagine it's even worse.) Hope the rest of it more than makes up for that aspect.

Timber 11-21-08 06:59 PM

http://www.quakersteakandlube.com/

amplified 11-21-08 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jeeden (Post 9086800)
What kind of vehicles do you drive? You can get SUV's pretty cheap right now..especially if your not paying for them in California.

I have a Camry and my wife has a Mazda MPV (minivan).

We are debating whether or not to sell the minivan before we leave and then she'll use the Camry and I'll get a SUV or Truck once in PA.

amplified 11-21-08 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nifty03 (Post 9086307)
Went to School there, 3 years at Penn State Behrend Campus. Seems like there was a bar on every corner (but that is pretty much all were were looking for) and it's a great place to get wings. There is some skiing you can do if you drive east into NY and Presque Isle State Park is a nice place to go all year round.

I think Peek'n Peak is where we skied

http://www.pknpk.com/

Plus you are only 2 hours from Pittsburgh, that that is one of the only Cities I would move back too, really liked it there.

I've read about Peek n Peak and I can't wait to check it out. I hear that Edinboro also has a small ski area as well.

My Other Self 11-21-08 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 9087466)

I think there's an Eat'n'Park in Erie, too. Good food.

amplified 11-21-08 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 9087631)
I think there's an Eat'n'Park in Erie, too. Good food.

I used to have a co-worker that lived in the OH/PA area most of her life and loved the Quaker steak and lube. I've never heard of Eat n Park but I'm sure we'll have to check it out.

When I was in Erie a few weeks ago for the interview, we ate at a local fast food joint called Backyard Burgers and it was pretty decent as far as fast food goes.