Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Moving to Erie, PA from Cali....Need advice.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Moving to Erie, PA from Cali....Need advice.

Old 11-22-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
I've read about Peek n Peak and I can't wait to check it out. I hear that Edinboro also has a small ski area as well.
Don't get your hopes up with East Coast skiing. The only two good mountains IMO are Stratton and Killington. Everything else is.....well.....meh...like Mountain High. West coast is much better with Mammoth, Tahoe resorts, Oregon, all the way up to Whistler/Blackcomb.
Old 11-22-08, 04:10 PM

I lived in Erie for 2 years and I can tell you the best time I had in that place was when I left it for good.

Not sure where in Northern Cali you're from, but Erie is what I call a small suburban town. The winter weather makes it really depressing and the lack of variety of restaurants only adds to the misery. I'm not a food snob but I think it's quite sad that someone mentioned a grocery store for having the best subs. How many times can you eat a sub? Eat N Park is pretty much a diner so don't expect anything but greasy diner food.

There's really nothing to do there except wash your car a lot to get rid of the salt and sand that they use on the roads during the winter time.

You'll need a good set of snow tires. You might be able to get away with all-season tires if you're on a budget. But do yourself a favor and get snow tires since getting into an accident would only cost you more than a set of 4 snow tires. It snows so much there that the city snow plows can't keep up.

The downtown area is quiet during the daytime and nighttime. It's also pretty ghetto. Much of Erie life is centered around Peach street. The Millcreek Mall, the only mall that they have, is filled with pregnant teenagers and pregnant smoking teenagers. I remember it being quite sad.

One thing good about Erie was that it's close to Pittsburgh and Toronto and there's an outlet mall about an hour away as well. I went to Pittsburgh almost every weekend.

Yeah, Presque Isle is nice, but only during the summer since it's a beach area. It's a great place to ride a bike since they have trails around the entire isle. Summer doesn't last very long though.

Is it too late or have you already signed a contract?
Old 11-22-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wabio View Post
I did the same thing. Went from lifelong SoCal to New England. It's a vastly different lifestyle. The snow gets old quick when you live in it, instead of riding it. Get used to not seeing the sun for weeks on end.....and for lunatic sports fans.
You best not be talking crap about the Sox or the Pats
Old 11-22-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
You best not be talking crap about the Sox or the Pats

Nah, nothing wrong with the Sox or Pats. Their fans on the other hand.....!
Old 11-22-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah, nothing wrong with the Sox or Pats. Their fans on the other hand.....!
Those are fighting words, just wait until my brother and my friend Sully find you

All joking aside, as a die hard Pats fan, I know there are some hugely white trash Pats fans. Me I like to joke around but I'm willing to admit when my team got outplayed (like in the Super Bowl last year). Then again I'm not in Mass so maybe that has something to do with it

To the OP, never been to Erie and I am not big fan of PA in general but my parents were both born and raised in LA and we moved here before I was born. As much as the snow, darkness, and cold can get to be a pain, even they both said they'd never move back. Having seasons is a cool thing mentally and at least in my area (not sure about Erie) there's so much history here it's ridiculous. The town I grew up in was founded in like 1688 and there are still houses standing that were originally built in like 1700. You just can't find that on the West coast.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 11-22-08 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-22-08, 08:43 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Fooman View Post
I lived in Erie for 2 years and I can tell you the best time I had in that place was when I left it for good.
Is it too late or have you already signed a contract?
You Otters are an amazing bunch. Where's the empathy?
Old 11-22-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll be halfway between Cleveland and Buffalo, what's not to like?
Old 11-22-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As a PA to CA transplant, I wish you well. I'm also considering a move back to PA after 10 years out here, but at least I know what to expect. I certainly don't miss scraping an inch of ice off my car every morning.

But to answer your question, you'd probably only need chains if you're crossing the Sierras. But at that time of year, those roads are probably closed anyway. I assume you're coming south and then heading East on the 10 or 40?

My biggest concern with moving back is the weather. I do NOT miss East Coast Winters. Driving on icy roads and walking around in 4 inches of slush while a freezing cold wind blows in your face isn't my idea of a good time. Then there are the blisteringly hot/humid months of July/August. There's also the idea of moving back to a much smaller, more conservative city than the one I'm living in. Redneck factor increases tenfold.

But on the plus side, you'll love having 4 distinct seasons. Winter really makes you appreciate Spring and Fall and they are really beautiful times of year that we don't really get to see out here. At least in SoCal. Plus, the Winters don't seem to be as bad these days. They haven't really recently gotten snow like I remember as a kid. Everything will be much cheaper too. Housing is a big factor in my decision. Housing, insurance, gas... way cheaper. I have an opportunity to move back and essentially make the same money I make here in LA. Out here, I just have a one bedroom apartment. Back East I can have a house with a yard and garage for the same amount of money.

A minivan will probably be fine. Something with all-wheel or 4 wheel drive would come in handy for sure though. If you have the money to do it, a new car purchase might not be a bad idea, especially with car prices dropping, you could get a deal. But there's no rush I guess. Just move in, drive what you have and by the 2nd week in January, you'll know whether or not you want an upgrade.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live?
Old 11-23-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You poor, poor, son of a bitch.
Old 11-23-08, 10:53 AM

Buy some Yuengling!
Old 11-24-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
As a PA to CA transplant, I wish you well. I'm also considering a move back to PA after 10 years out here, but at least I know what to expect. I certainly don't miss scraping an inch of ice off my car every morning.

But to answer your question, you'd probably only need chains if you're crossing the Sierras. But at that time of year, those roads are probably closed anyway. I assume you're coming south and then heading East on the 10 or 40?

My biggest concern with moving back is the weather. I do NOT miss East Coast Winters. Driving on icy roads and walking around in 4 inches of slush while a freezing cold wind blows in your face isn't my idea of a good time. Then there are the blisteringly hot/humid months of July/August. There's also the idea of moving back to a much smaller, more conservative city than the one I'm living in. Redneck factor increases tenfold.

But on the plus side, you'll love having 4 distinct seasons. Winter really makes you appreciate Spring and Fall and they are really beautiful times of year that we don't really get to see out here. At least in SoCal. Plus, the Winters don't seem to be as bad these days. They haven't really recently gotten snow like I remember as a kid. Everything will be much cheaper too. Housing is a big factor in my decision. Housing, insurance, gas... way cheaper. I have an opportunity to move back and essentially make the same money I make here in LA. Out here, I just have a one bedroom apartment. Back East I can have a house with a yard and garage for the same amount of money.

A minivan will probably be fine. Something with all-wheel or 4 wheel drive would come in handy for sure though. If you have the money to do it, a new car purchase might not be a bad idea, especially with car prices dropping, you could get a deal. But there's no rush I guess. Just move in, drive what you have and by the 2nd week in January, you'll know whether or not you want an upgrade.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live?
About 30 miles northeast of Sacramento.
Old 01-18-09, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Moving to Erie, PA from Cali....Need advice.

So......just checking in on how you're liking Erie?
Old 01-18-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So......just checking in on how you're liking Erie?

He has not posted since 12/15.

I wonder if we should send out a search party.

I would go , but I am here in Sunny California and I hate the cold.
Old 01-18-09, 01:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Amplified's Diary

December 22: More of that white shit fell last night. I've got blisters from shoveling this crap. I think the snow plow man hides around the corner and waits until I'm done shoveling the damn driveway, then he plows the fucking street, the Asshole!
Yes.
Old 06-27-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gcribbs View Post
He has not posted since 12/15.

I wonder if we should send out a search party.

I would go , but I am here in Sunny California and I hate the cold.
No search party needed

Actually Erie isn't that bad. We loved the Winter although we got 143 inches of snow which was enough to just come short of the Erie, PA record of 149. So I guess if we can make it through this winter we could make it through any. The lowest I saw the temp drop was -9 in my car on the way to work. The wind chill was -29 that day and I decided to walk to lunch in the snow. Not the best decision.

There are many really great things about Erie and this area. We live only 5 minutes from a small amusement park. We spent 3 hours there last night and had no lines at all. The wooden coaster won best new coaster in the US last year I think.

Movies are so much cheaper than in Cali. Matinee is like $5.25 and normal prices are $7.25 I think. The last time I remember movies being that cheap in Cali was back in the early 90's.

We are only 2 hours from Niagara Falls/Canada/Buffalo/Cleveland/Pittsburgh. And less than 8 hours from most major east coast cities. We are planning on making a summer trip from Maine all the way down to Washington DC.

The summer has been very mild compared to the inland valleys of SoCal and NorCal which we love. I hate 100 plus heat. I would much rather have 80 degree days and 90% humidity. Most of June though it's been in the 60's and 70's.

Presque Isle is really nice. The beaches are great even during the winter. So many free things to do in town and even youth sports are cheap. My son played Spring football for $75 bucks. This would have been at least $300 in Cali.

After saying all of this.....We are desperately trying to move back.

I laugh when I see the July 1 date that was in the post by Charlie Goose earlier in the thread.

The reason we want to move back is because of the work culture here. I hate it! If you are not a "local" you just don't fit in. I hate almost every aspect of my job. They've all been with the company for 40 years and have vacationed with each other etc....... Sucks.

We just flew back to Cali last month and realized how much we missed the people (friends & family) and all of the local spots. Who knew we could miss Carl's Jr.

We really miss the beach... And when I say beach I mean ocean. The beaches on Lake Erie are nice and all but if you can't surf or boogie board can you really call it a beach?

It also sucks that we could buy a home down in parts of Inland SoCal where we lived several years ago for cheaper than a home here in Erie. The home we sold in 2006 for $300k is now for sale for $78k. That was one of the main motivating factors of moving out here. Erie is ranked the second strongest housing markets in the country while most of the Cali market collapsed.

We'll see what happens. I'm hoping by this time next year we'll be back in Cali and I'll be posting in this thread again from a different locale.

Anyone hiring?
Old 06-27-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like you just need to find another job with a company that's had a little more turnaround.
Old 01-09-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So.......did you ever move up to Erie? Just checkin' if you're still alive.
Old 01-10-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So.......did you ever move up to Erie? Just checkin' if you're still alive.
See post #40...

But just to update we moved back to Cali in August due to the new job in Erie that didn't work out. We actually miss Erie quite a bit even with the 150 inches of snow we got in our winter out there. Hate living in Socal where we have only one season (currently in the Inland Empire). I think yesterday the high was 82 and back in Erie is was in the teens. I've got a new job in a completely new field and I'm hoping to promote and transfer back to the East Coast in the next few years.

The only thing we really missed being away from Socal are the Chargers and the Beach. Going to the big playoff game next weekend against the Pats or Jets which of course wouldn't be possible living in PA.