Reload this Page >

"This is a notification your warranty is about to expire..."

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 10-29-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I keep getting these phone calls on my cell phone. I've asked around and other people say they have been getting them too. Anyone on here? The call comes from some funky area code and I've never called it back because it all seems so phishy to me. Anyone else getting this?
Old 10-29-08, 05:46 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, I've gotten them since I switched my phone from verizon to an AT&T iPhone. It's annoying.
Old 10-29-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get those calls EVERY day on my home phone. Frequently more than once. Even on weekends. And calls about getting a new mortgage, or to get satellite TV, or to sign up for a new credit card. I average about 7 or 8 messages on my answering machine per day from telemarketers, and that's just the ones who leave messages.
Old 10-29-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts
I've been getting at least 2 a week for a month or two.

I also keep getting a call that leaves the message that I've requested an address change recently and to give them a call back if I have any questions...I get that one about once a month.
Old 10-29-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1-888-382-1222

To prevent solicitor calls to your home or cell phone, national 'do not call' list.

It actually works pretty well.

Or go to https://www.donotcall.gov/
Old 10-29-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I worked for JVC in the customer service dept. we found out dealers(Circuit City, Best Buy, etc...) would call customers, who purchased products in their store, close to when the manufacturer's warranty was going to end. They would ask the customer if they had any problems with the product because the warranty would be ending soon. If the customer said they didn't have any problems they would try to sell them an extended warranty.
If the customer said they did have a problem with the product they would tell them to call the manufacturer about it and not try to sell them an extended warranty.

Bob
Old 10-29-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I make it a point to not buy any product/service through phone solicitations....maybe it is just me, but I find them really invasive.
Old 10-29-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
1-888-382-1222

To prevent solicitor calls to your home or cell phone, national 'do not call' list.

I would also recommend this one to stop pre-approved credit offers (for 5 years)...

https://www.optoutprescreen.com

Both seem to have worked really well for us.
Old 10-29-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

I get them for nearly every appliance and vehicle I own.
Old 10-29-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Well that's not really what this recording is. It's just a recording that says "Your warranty is about to expire" but it doesn't say for what and there is nobody to talk to. It just says to call them back right away and gives some LD number. It's not like it is Sears telling me that my warranty on my toaster is almost up...

We are on the do not call and opt out list but they call anyhow. It is certainly a phishing scam to get info but I'm amazed at how wide spread it is.
Old 10-29-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be aware the no call list expires, and requires another request every couple of years or so.
Old 10-29-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1-888-382-1222

This does not work for the "your auto warranty is about to expire" calls that I get on all my phones. ANNOYING! and there is no way to stop it.

It always says press 1 to speak to an agent or something like that, when I have time I mess with them by asking for a warranty on cars from the 70's and 80's that I know they couldn't possibly offer a warranty on.

Even after the agent tells me they can't help me, they still refuse to take me off the call list These people need to die a slow painful death.
Old 10-29-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
This does not work for the "your auto warranty is about to expire" calls that I get on all my phones. ANNOYING! and there is no way to stop it.

It always says press 1 to speak to an agent or something like that, when I have time I mess with them by asking for a warranty on cars from the 70's and 80's that I know they couldn't possibly offer a warranty on.

Even after the agent tells me they can't help me, they still refuse to take me off the call list These people need to die a slow painful death.
Report it to the no call list.

The 'file a complaint' link is on the do not call page.
Old 10-29-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs View Post
Yep, I've gotten them since I switched my phone from verizon to an AT&T iPhone. It's annoying.
Wow! Identical to what I am going through!
Old 10-29-08, 08:13 PM
Suspended

1-239-489-3230

these guys called me today. I was actually going to call them back. maybe i wont now. I thought they were from my auto lender.
Old 10-30-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Report it to the no call list.

The 'file a complaint' link is on the do not call page.

I have - it does no good. As best I can tell, they do not operate INSIDE the US. The phone number changes every time too.
Old 10-30-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
+1, including ones I no longer own.

I would not do business with them even if I thought they were legitimate simply because they can't get their facts straight.
Old 10-30-08, 12:03 PM

We frequently get these on our Sprint cell phone. I've never answered it to hear what they're selling- but I've googled the phone number and have read the reports from numerous others with the same issue.

On a related note- I wish there was a "political do not call list." I live in a swing state, so we're getting roughly 5 calls per day. I've already voted by mail- your begging falls on deaf ears!
Old 10-30-08, 12:08 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post

You mean you get calls for both the tractor and the icebox?
Old 10-30-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to get them and I never switched carriers. Next time, google the phone number. That will tell you what you need to know.
Old 10-30-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah I get these about once a week on my answering machine.
Old 10-30-08, 01:50 PM

We get a TON of these things in the mail for our vehicles saying that our warranties are expiring and they offer some sort of third party warranty. They have the vehicle type and year on them. Not sure if there is some massive database out there telling when warranties expire or what. No phone calls ever though.
Old 10-30-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep getting them in the mail in the form of postcards and via my old work phone. I never understood it since my factory warranty expired almost 2 years ago and the things I keep getting aren't from GM.
Old 10-30-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the number a 641-522-xxxx number? If you search google for that number you'll find that people all over the country are complaining about it to these don't call list sites. I work for the local phone company that owns that number. Some company is spoofing the numbers we own. The FBI has contacted us and they are working on finding the company. It's highly illegal to spoof someone else's number for these means. That's really all the info I have.
Old 10-31-08, 11:56 AM
Suspended

Be aware the no call list expires, and requires another request every couple of years or so.
Not any more. This is posted on the DO NOT CALL HOMEPAGE:

Your registration will not expire. Telephone numbers placed on the National Do Not Call Registry will remain on it permanently due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008. Read more about it at http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/04/dncfyi.shtm.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.