Reload this Page >

A little annoying Amazon Marketplace story

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-24-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I make my living as an author, and I get piles and piles of author copies shipped to me as part of my contracts. About a year ago, I started selling some of these on Amazon Marketplace, more to clean out room than to make money (though the money is okay too).

I'd say as a seller I've had about 100-120 transactions. Of those, 13 people have left me feedback (one being negative, since I sent the wrong book, and never being changed when I rectified it).

I'm okay with that. But this one annoyed me. I had an order for a book from an address marked as a "School for Autism." Instead of sending just the book they ordered, I added several more (free of charge, obviously), along with a note telling them that I hoped the students could get use of them.

That was a month ago. No thanks. Not even a positive feedback. Now that's not why I did it, but ... geez. Really? Somebody sends you freebies and you can't even be bothered to take 5 seconds to go to Amazon and click the positive feedback button?
Old 10-24-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think people really have any regard for Amazon feedback.. I've sold over 50 textbooks and never got one. People don't realy pay attention to it anyway.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Some people are just ungrateful.
Old 10-24-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I definitely pay attention to the feedback as a buyer, but then again I am an Ebay refugee.
Old 10-24-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rarely leave feedback for Amazon Marketplace items, though most I get from joints with thousands and thousands of feedback replies already. I suppose if it were a guy in his basement with just a few feedbacks, I probably would. Have you sent a polite email to the buyer asking for feedback and explaining why it's important to you? I usually respond to those.
Old 10-24-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts
I pay attention to it. I'm selling off some DVDs, games, and books, and I appreciate the positive feedback.
Old 10-25-08, 03:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't worry about it. What probably happened is the person who ordered it was not the person who received it at the school and didn't realize you did them a solid. You will just have to be happy with the Karma.
Old 10-25-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
As a buyer, they might not even know it's there. It's not as obvious as the ebay system.

Plus, it may have gotten lost in the shuffle. The box may have been unpacked by a low level employee who never looked at the paperwork.

Or maybe they're dicks. Who knows?
Old 10-25-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I usually send out a follow up note asking if everything is satisfactory, yada, yada, please leave positive feedback. Often times I get a reply from the buyer saying they didn't even know there was a feedback system. Fewer than half my sales get feedback. Just not as ingrained in the mind of the buyer as it is in Ebay. Either way, very nice gesture on your part!
Old 10-25-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I sell on Amazon also, and when I buy something, Amazon sends an email to me asking me to rate my transaction - which is how people leave feedback there.

It's a bummer that buyers ignore that email. I should have gotten more feedback for all the stuff I've sold, but I appreciate every one I get when people do for me.

It's the same with eBay. My feedback is probably about half of all my transactions I've done in the 10 years I've been selling there.

But yeah, that's pretty inconsiderate for that school to not acknowledge the freebies you sent them.
Old 10-25-08, 11:27 AM

Yeah, I'm not overly worried about it. And you might be right, the account owner might not even know about it. Hadn't considered that.

I'm not going to send a followup. Like jaelliot says, the karma will be good enough.
Old 10-25-08, 05:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've only sold and bought on Amazon back when there was an auction ste as well and their website is much more clunky and harder to navigate than eBay's. It seemed to take longer to do searches by sellers or find all the listings by one seller, etc. Trying to leave feedback just wasn't worth the effort there.
Old 10-25-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I sell on Amazon also, and when I buy something, Amazon sends an email to me asking me to rate my transaction - which is how people leave feedback there.
That how I know to leave feedback...9/10 times I do it right then, because I have yet to run into a merchant that didn't get me my stuff on time. I figure it takes 20 seconds to do.
Old 10-25-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, that was nice. Maybe the teacher didn't think about feedback but at least the kids should like the extra stuff.

I've left seller feedback, but there's not much I can say. Quick processing and shipping, and that's it.
Old 10-25-08, 11:02 PM

What you say barely matters - it's the percentage that counts.