Reload this Page >

Anyone drive a Mazda 6?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Anyone drive a Mazda 6?

Old 10-22-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone drive a Mazda 6?

Thinking about buying a car this weekend and have my eye on a Mazda 6 which I can get a pretty good deal with it. Just wondering if any otters drive this car and what they think. It's a 2008.
Old 10-22-08, 11:01 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented one of these a couple of years ago, and I liked it. Good pickup, decent gas mileage--if I were in the market for a car right now, I would seriously think about it.
Old 10-22-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 2004. I like it, haven't had any major problems with it (at about 45000 miles). Gas mileage could be better, but it's a V6 so it's expected. Plenty roomy inside and I dig the extra compartments that are in there. Handles well, although the only issue is there's a wide turning radius.

Deftones has one too, I believe.
Old 10-22-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 721 Likes on 514 Posts
I've got a 2006 V6 model. So far, it's been a great car with absolutely no problems, outside of having to change the battery. That's common amongst new cars anyway, as the battery they use in them usually sucks.

I've got 55,000+ miles on mine. I agree, the turning radius sucks for a car that size, but not a huge problem if you don't have to make a U-turn.

As for the car itself, I know it's been redesigned since my model year. The only two issues I have with it are the driver's seat and the stereo system.

I've got a wider ass than most (thanks family genes) and sometimes the seat is a tad bit uncomfortable with the way it's designed.

As for the radio, the factory stock thing is a PITA if you want aftermarket gear. Not sure if it's still this way, but for my model year and the few before it the A/C unit is linked to the stereo. It took some very ingenious people to come up with a kit (not cheap) for you to be able to use aftermarket stereos and still have your A/C work. Do some research on that if before you buy. I didn't know what, and had to wait almost a year before I could do any aftermarket stereo stuff. Wasn't going to pay $500 for Sirius through the dealership and another $500 for the mp3 cd changer.
Old 10-23-08, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got an 03 6s (with the V6). It's hard for me to compare to more recent cars as I've never really driven anything else.

The Good:
- Handles much better than any similars cars from 2003. The car drives really well. I have a lot of experience driving an '05 BMW 330 and the 6 handles similarly.
- Truly excellent brakes on this car
- Reliable. I've had zero problems (knock wood) after about 100K miles.
- The (optional) Bose stereo sounds pretty good to me
- My car is excellent in the snow, much better than many other similar cars I've driven.
- Nice big trunk.

The bad:
- The interior is basically nowhere near Honda quality or Toyota simplicity. The leather is cheapo, the dash is very plasticy.
- The car is significantly smaller than a similar Accord or Camry. If you're tall or like more room, this one isn't for you (I'm a standard 5'10", so it doesn't really bother me, though).
- Terrible turning radius. This is more of a everyday pain in the ass than it sounds.
- Not-very-good gas mileage. The V6 gets around 20-22 MPG on average. That's surprisingly bad for a fairly light car.

The YMMV
- The engine is OK, but not a silky as a Honda or Nissan V6. Also, it's plenty powerful for everyday driving, but the original 225 HP rating is way overstated, IMO.
- It's a fairly bland looking car, it looked better than the 03 Accord or 03 Camry, but there are lots of more interesting looking cars these days.
- There's no Aux-in on the stereo and adding one is somewhat difficult. Every car should have a standard 2.5MM in jack.
- The seats are somewhat narrow and high-bolstered. I'm skinny so they fit me well, but YMMV...

I probably should have bought the 6i with the I4. The Mazda 4cyl is a nice little engine and has prenty of power. It's a lot lighter too, I think the 6i handles even better than the 6S

Last edited by Hiro11; 10-23-08 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-23-08, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info. I am still driving the first car I ever owned, a 99 sunfire and it has treated me well over the years but I think it is time to move on. Since Dec 07, I have put in about 2 grand of repairs into it. I like the fact that Hiro said it performs well in the snow. Being located on the east coast of Canada, our snow seasons usually last for 6 months. Gas mileage isn't much of a concern even with the gas prices nowadays. With my sunfire, I usually fill up every 2 weeks for about less than 60 bucks. I have a close commute to work and don't drive to far on a regular basis. As of now, my 99 Sunfire has less than 130K KM on it.

The info on the Mazda I am looking at it is as follows.

Model: Mazda6 S 4 door Sedan
Year: 2008
Price: $16,900.00 (seems like a pretty good price)
Transmission: Automatic
Engine: 4 Cylinders
Drive Train: Rear Wheel Drive
Odometer: 42526 Km

Features:
4-wheel Disk Brakes
Abs
Am/fm Radio
Air Conditioned
B/t Shift Interlock
Cd
Child-proof Rear Dr Locks
Cruise Control
Daytime Running Lights
Driver Safety Bag
Factory Warranty
Front Cornering Lights
Head Restraint
High Mount Brake Lights
Passenger Safety Bag
Power Brakes
Power Locks
Power Mirror(s)
Power Steering
Power Trunk
Power Windows
Rear Window Defroster
Remote Keyless Entry
Tilt Steering
Tinted Safety Glass
Old 10-23-08, 09:20 PM

skip that! too expensive for a used car and on the last year of its model.

get the 2009 mazda6 instead. its the new redesign and a whole lot better!
Old 10-23-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree I would not buy an old model when the new body style is out.
Old 10-23-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
Thanks for the info. I am still driving the first car I ever owned, a 99 sunfire and it has treated me well over the years but I think it is time to move on. Since Dec 07, I have put in about 2 grand of repairs into it. I like the fact that Hiro said it performs well in the snow. Being located on the east coast of Canada, our snow seasons usually last for 6 months. Gas mileage isn't much of a concern even with the gas prices nowadays. With my sunfire, I usually fill up every 2 weeks for about less than 60 bucks. I have a close commute to work and don't drive to far on a regular basis. As of now, my 99 Sunfire has less than 130K KM on it.

The info on the Mazda I am looking at it is as follows.

Model: Mazda6 S 4 door Sedan
Year: 2008
Price: $16,900.00 (seems like a pretty good price)
Transmission: Automatic
Engine: 4 Cylinders
Drive Train: Rear Wheel Drive
Odometer: 42526 Km

Features:
4-wheel Disk Brakes
Abs
Am/fm Radio
Air Conditioned
B/t Shift Interlock
Cd
Child-proof Rear Dr Locks
Cruise Control
Daytime Running Lights
Driver Safety Bag
Factory Warranty
Front Cornering Lights
Head Restraint
High Mount Brake Lights
Passenger Safety Bag
Power Brakes
Power Locks
Power Mirror(s)
Power Steering
Power Trunk
Power Windows
Rear Window Defroster
Remote Keyless Entry
Tilt Steering
Tinted Safety Glass
Just to let you know it's actually front wheel drive.

You might want to consider the Subaru Legacy. Great car that's not as large as an Accord or Mazda 6, but performs phenomenally.
Old 10-23-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 721 Likes on 514 Posts
he should only get a Subaru if he's a lesbian.
Old 10-24-08, 12:28 AM

My brother has an '06 Mazda 6 and loves it, no problems so far.
Old 10-24-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
he should only get a Subaru if he's a lesbian.
Subarus are very useful in Canada's crazy weather.

Having said that, they're ludicrously expensive here. A 4WD Forester costs $44K.
Old 10-24-08, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
I agree I would not buy an old model when the new body style is out.
I always thought people recommended not buying the first year of a model revamp due to small issues and things like that. Although it certainly makes it enticing over buying the older model
Old 10-24-08, 04:36 PM
Suspended

I think the one I rented was an 05. My own car is a 2004 Accord, and I don't remember there being any real differences in quality between them.

Now I rented it before the price of gas went crazy, so I may have false memories about fuel economy, but I don't remember it being a gas hog.

Is there a site with some good pics (interior and exterior) of the 09?
Old 10-26-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/first-drive-2009-mazda6/

This site has some good pictures of new cars.