Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

People who've lived in multiple TIME-ZONES: What's been the best for you TV viewing?

Other Talk "Otterville"

People who've lived in multiple TIME-ZONES: What's been the best for you TV viewing?

Old 10-17-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<<<<<< Edit: WHOOPS - meant to put this in the TV forum. >>>>>>>

I've lived in the:

Central
Eastern
Pacific

time-zones.

And, I gotta say, hands down, CENTRAL beats them all. Having the networks wrap up at 10:00 and having the news then works best with my sleep schedule.

EASTERN: the shows end at 11:00, which is WAY too late. If you're watching a late Monday Night Football or Oscars telecast, it messes up your sleeping schedule.

But PACIFIC is the weirdest because we get our shows three hours after the East does, and too often I read spoilers for shows from those who've already watched them three hours earlier.

And certain things, like the Oscars, the Super Bowl, and Presidential Debates start waaaaaay too early for me. It's weird.

Hows about you guys?
Old 10-17-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had a hacked satellite, I was able to watch all primetime TV shows on EST time at 5pm to 8 pm (I live in PST zone). I like that way - till they reprogrammed their satellite.
Old 10-17-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well.. I've only lived in the Eastern Time Zone.. so I have nothing to compare.. but I also have 3 dvr's so.. quite frankly, it doesn't matter to me what time the shows start or end, I rarely watch them live.

I have a friend that lives in the Central Time Zone and she used to always complain that the shows start at 7 and she's either not home in time or busy w/ homework/getting kids ready for bed. She has access to dvr's now too so that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.
Old 10-17-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Except for 2 years, I've lived in Central all my life. I spent 2 years in Eastern, and will always like that better - I'm a night owl.
Old 10-17-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've lived in Eastern, Pacific, and Arizona Time. AT was nice because primetime always started at 7pm and there's no daylight savings.

PST took some getting used to since everybody back where I'm from in New York had seen the same thing.. but 3 hours prior.

The hardest thing to get adjusted to was the football and hockey schedules. I was used to my Sundays starting at 1:15pm and now it's 10:15am. Yikes.

Overall, I'd say Arizona time.
Old 10-17-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always preferred Central, but I don't know if it's because I grew up with it. 7-10 for primetime, with the news at 10 works well. 12:00 starts for Football just feels right (I think I could deal with 1, but 10:00 am would be weird). I work early, so I suppose I would prefer a timezone where I might actually be able to catch a show like Letterman or even Conan.
Old 10-17-08, 05:28 PM
mbs

I've lived in Eastern, Central, and Pacific. I prefer Central for TV viewing.
Old 10-17-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
I've lived in ES/DT, GMT, CS/DT, CET, and AKS/DT and I have to tell you, VCR/DVR is my copilot.
Old 10-17-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've lived in Central and now Pacific. I like that I can get a lot of stuff done before primetime starts now but I have a couple of Tivos so it isn't such an issue. Seems like shows aren't usually live out here. And I hate spoilers when it hasn't aired on the west coast. So, for TV viewing, I prefer Central.
Old 10-17-08, 05:59 PM

Yeah, seems like people on the West Coast get screwed when Martin Lawrenece accidentally says: "fuck" on a show like Saturday Night Live. We always get the censored version and never the raw footage.

How about that time when ER did two live shows, one for the East, one for the West?

I wonder which one was better.
Old 10-17-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lived in Pacific, Arizona, and Mountain. Arizona was the best except that the cable shows shifted an hour when the rest of the country went on or off DST. I much prefer the 7-10 prime time schedule over 8-11.
Old 10-17-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Up until a couple of years ago when DST was implemented in central Indiana we used to have CST for summer viewing and EST for winter viewing. I kinda liked CST because it allowed me to view programs an hour earlier.
Old 10-17-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Since I will only watch sports live, the Pacific is the way to go. Can't imagine baseball games getting over at 1 am on the east coast, and I love football starting at 10 am. Wake up to 2 hours of espn and then on to the games.
Old 10-17-08, 06:45 PM

I was actually thinking about this (again) for the millionth time this morning. When I had Directv in the mid to late 90's, I was able to pay extra to have the east coast feeds also.

But those f'n people in Congress cowtoed to the wi$he$ of the networks and took away our right to pay extra for these earlier feeds.

The networks say that they are losing prime time revenue because I am watching the east coast feeds. But that is a bunch of BS because 95% of all ads shown during prime time are the same national ads shown on the east, central, mountain and pacific coasts. They were not losing any money with people watching and paying for the extra feeds.

Now with dvrs, I rarely watch anything live as it is. But especially on the very Thursday nights, it was great to see all the prime time programs starting at 5 pm PST.

Chris
Old 10-17-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Since I will only watch sports live, the Pacific is the way to go. Can't imagine baseball games getting over at 1 am on the east coast, and I love football starting at 10 am. Wake up to 2 hours of espn and then on to the games.
Yep, west coast is best for sports. But for primetime TV watching, I enjoyed Central time the most.
Old 10-17-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe View Post
Yeah, seems like people on the West Coast get screwed when Martin Lawrenece accidentally says: "fuck" on a show like Saturday Night Live. We always get the censored version and never the raw footage.

How about that time when ER did two live shows, one for the East, one for the West?

I wonder which one was better.
Youtube broken?
Old 10-17-08, 07:00 PM

Try living in Hawaii and having Monday Night Football start at 2:30pm.
Old 10-17-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
On Hawaiian time, I enjoyed waking up at 7am to watch Sunday morning football live.

Although, they are like the Central in that prime time television ends at 10pm.
Old 10-17-08, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
Youtube broken?

Well, before Youtube and DVR's were around.

And plus, the networks still censor the West Coasts' feed of SNL if something raunchy gets said or shown on the East Coast.
Old 10-17-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

California----->Massachusetts------->Now Texas.

I liked the west best. I'm a huge baseball fan, and it drained me living in MA having to stay up to 1:30 for the west coast games to finish. East has the advantage of not having to do math everytime I look up a TV schedule.
Old 10-17-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like PST, especially for sports. Since if I was on the east coast, and my favorite team was on the west coast..I'd have to stay up till 1am to watch my team.
Old 10-17-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by So_Cal_SAHM View Post
Try living in Hawaii and having Monday Night Football start at 2:30pm.
Or your favorite team is playing in hawaii, and the game starts at 11pm your time lol, because you are on the east coast.
Old 10-17-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eastern, since everything revolves around it.
Old 10-17-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eastern but combined with 4 DirecTivos and the westcoast feed of NBC and ABC I am completely covered.
Old 10-17-08, 10:41 PM
Suspended

I'm a night owl. Central sucks ass. It's like the whole time zone was designed for the geriatric set.

35 years of Pacific time. My internal time clock will never adjust.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.