Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, my boss said that my co-worker was late when he wasn't late.

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: How strict is your boss on time?
Strict - Counts even if it's 2-3 minutes
10.00%
Kind of lax, will let a few minutes go by
21.67%
Very lax
58.33%
My boss is Twikoff strict
10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

So, my co-worker relayed to me the following information. He said that he came into work today, and my boss said that he came in late. She looked at the wall mounted clock, and it said 7:33 AM. My co-worker said, no, he wasn't late and my co-worker showed her the time on his computer, which showed 7:30 AM. My boss then mentioned something about the clock being fast, then went away.

For the record, i've checked the wall mounted clock against my cell phone, and noted that the wall mounted clock is a few minutes fast.

In any event, my question is, how strict is your boss on time? Has anyone had a similar incident?

**All events in this post are deemed fictional. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental**

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 10-15-08 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My boss doesn't care, as long as I work at least 8 hours a day.
Old 10-16-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there an official time card clock? Perhaps one should be put in place so no further incidents happen.
Old 10-16-08, 06:49 AM

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm always early so I don't know. Everyone here is pretty casual about it as long as it's not a chronic thing.
Old 10-16-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
The co-owners of my company don't crack down on 'lateness', but they make it clear that they look down on anyone leaving at 5, which is extremely irritating. I'm currently in an evening mba program, so I have to leave right at 5 several nights a week. I come in around 6 in the morning most days, just because I'm salaried and it'd be impossible to do my job in 8 hour days. Still, the owners like to make jokes and condescending comments about me leaving at 5. I don't let it bother me too much, as everyone here knows they can't afford to lose me, so their shitty attitude won't have any real world ramifications.

Last edited by maxfisher; 10-16-08 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-16-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sucks with my boss, because he is never the same. Some days, if I am one minute late, I will get bitched at til no end, but then other days, he will even tell me to take my time, or if I call him to say that I will be late, he just says ok, and is cool with it. I just want some fucking consistency.
Old 10-16-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 184 Posts
No issues with my current job as long as I put in my 8. I worked in a call center for a while and they would write you up if you were late by 1 minute.
Old 10-16-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not strict here at all. I'm always on time, since I usually arrive about 45 minutes early to relax in the parking lot and read. However, one guy I work with is late every day. At least 10 minutes and often as high as 30. My group's office has its own entrance so no one notices except us. It does get frustrating with him though.
Old 10-16-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Is there an official time card clock? Perhaps one should be put in place so no further incidents happen.
We don't have time cards, at least not the ones that you have to swipe or anything. For time reporting, basically, once a week you just put how many hours you worked on which day and on which project. They don't ask which time you came in or which time you left.
Old 10-16-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
I work remotely so I'm never in the same office as my boss. Because of that we have a clocking in and clocking out system so she can keep tabs on me. So its up to me to make sure I'm in exactly at 8. I usually show up between 7:50 and 8:05, if I'm late no one notices. Since I work as a satellite I sometimes clock in and go out for breakfast and don't get back to the desk till 8:30. Don't tell my boss.
Old 10-16-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm salaried and I'm here as long as I need to be.

That said, there's no need for clock watching salaried employees unless they need to be there at a specific time for meetings, support of other groups, etc.

There are too many places that want to treat salaried employees like hourly. If it's over 40 hours for a week, you don't get a dime extra, but don't you dare work under 40. Pisses me off.
Old 10-16-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn I feel so lucky when I read these. As long as I send a quick email my boss could care less when I arrive. Its great. I could work a 30 hr week and still put in my 40. Can't complain. However I did work hard to be his best producer in the state. So I guess he cuts me some slack.
Old 10-16-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I'm salaried and I'm here as long as I need to be.

That said, there's no need for clock watching salaried employees unless they need to be there at a specific time for meetings, support of other groups, etc.

There are too many places that want to treat salaried employees like hourly. If it's over 40 hours for a week, you don't get a dime extra, but don't you dare work under 40. Pisses me off.
Wait, we must work at the same place. That's exactly how it seems for me. I'm salary, and if I come in 3 minutes late, the world will not end, but my boss sure thinks so.
Old 10-16-08, 10:29 AM
Admin

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I'm always early so I don't know. Everyone here is pretty casual about it as long as it's not a chronic thing.
What this guy said.

If I am ever late it's a rarity, so they never give me any flak about it. I don't want to make a habit of coming in late though.
Old 10-16-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
In my position it doesn't matter. As long as you get your work done it's not a big deal and you can be late or early or whatever it takes, and as long as we let our co-workers know if we're going to be way late.
Old 10-16-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
In my position it doesn't matter. As long as you get your work done it's not a big deal and you can be late or early or whatever it takes, and as long as we let our co-workers know if we're going to be way late.
Exactly is that great? I'm normally late so I let my co-worker leave early seems to work for us.
Old 10-16-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
The co-owners of my company don't crack down on 'lateness', but they make it clear that they look down on anyone leaving at 5, which is extremely irritating. I'm currently in an evening mba program, so I have to leave right at 5 several nights a week. I come in around 6 in the morning most days, just because I'm salaried and it'd be impossible to do my job in 8 hour days. Still, the owners like to make jokes and condescending comments about me leaving at 5. I don't let it bother me too much, as everyone here knows they can't afford to lose me, so their shitty attitude won't have any real world ramifications.
To which you should reply, "Where were this morning, bitches!!!?"

I'm in around 7:30 and leave between 5:30 and 8, so it isn't an issue. But, admittedly, I'm my own boxx, and I love work.
Old 10-16-08, 10:51 AM

Boss doesn't check when I am in or not. I am usually in at 6 leave at 3. Or like yesterday I had the pleasure to work 15 hours. He doesn't care when I come and go as long as I get all the work assigned to me done.
Old 10-16-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shit more power to ya Kvrdave. I'm in at 9 and the latest I stay is 5. But I work closely with the market so it dictates my hrs
Old 10-16-08, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I'm my own boxx.
[obligatory]Must be nice![/obligatory]
Old 10-16-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I walked in an hour and ten minutes late today. My boss just started telling me a joke three seconds after I walked in. The funny thing is, I'm "late" because I have to stay later than usual for a meeting. Through conversation, I realized that he didn't know about it. So apparently me being over an hour late doesn't even register with him.
Old 10-16-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts
We're all pretty relaxed on my workplace. I'll admit that I'm one of those who is always late. I'm not talking 30 minutes to an hour or anything like that, usually more in the 5-10 minute category. No one minds at all. If I'm going to be more than 15 minutes late, I just call in. No biggie. Hell, there have been times that I have arrived right on time (we open at 8:30) and no one who has keys has even arrived yet!
Old 10-16-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually get into work sometime between 9:45 and 10:30 depending on how late I sleep. I leave between 6:45 and 7:30 almost every day and I spend lunch at my desk so I put in a full day's posting on DVDTalk. I think our group's rules are that our core hours (when everybody is supposed to be here) are 9:30-4:00 but it obviously hasn't been enforced in years.
Old 10-16-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I typically work at startups. No one cares so long as you pull your share.

I don't have the slightest idea what our "official start time" would even be. 9:30 AM, maybe? Some guys come in at 11 and leave late. I come in at 8 AM, for what it's worth.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 10-16-08 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Having worked in call centers for around 10 years previously, even 1 second was considered late. With my current job, I have been late a few times on rare occasions (5 minutes or less) and no one has ever said a word. I used to stress out if I clocked in at 7:31 instead of 7:30 at the new place until I realized this is a real world job and no one really gives a damn.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.