Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Old 06-28-16, 11:34 AM
  #126  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,294
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Assuming it's the same flavor, it's gone from Voodoo Gumbo to Voodoo to Voodoo Heat.

The Spicy Cajun Crawtators are still my favorite. We can get most of the flavors here for around $2 a bag, but we stock up every time we visit my wife's family because they are cheaper (and have larger sizes) down south.
printerati is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 11:49 AM
  #127  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,658
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Everyone knows I love Guinness Stout, so a friend of mine got me these last Christmas:



They're kettle-style chips, coated with a powder that tastes more like "malt powder" than "Guinness". If you've ever had a malta (the drink), it almost tastes like someone freeze-dried malta and sprinkled it over the chips. It was a very odd taste at first, and not that appealing. Yet, there was something about them that kinda tasted good after 2-3 chips. I can't really describe it, except that it seemed to satisfy some kind of umami thing on my palate. These aren't something I'd buy on a regular basis (and, since they're imported, they'd be hard to find anyway). Still, they were enjoyable as a one-time treat.

If you like spicy, you might like these:



First... check out that packaging. Awesome! Anyway, these regular-cut chips swear they're the spiciest you can get. When you first bite in to one, you might think "well, they're a lot spicier than most things that say they're spicy, but aren't... like Taco Bell's 'Fire' sauce". But keep eating. The heat builds. After 10 chips you're like "OK, these are actually pretty spicy". And what cuts the heat? Alcohol, making these a perfect snack with beer. To me, the best part is the flavor: you can absolutely tell the heat comes from habaneros, as it's a fruity, "clean" heat, as opposed to the almost smoky heat cayenne provides in most "spicy" chips. These chips were originally only available at upscale markets here in Charlotte... but are now starting to show up in higher-end stores and some delis... so that's cool.

As much as I like Mama Zuma's Revenge chips, my current favorites are actually Cape Cod Smoked Gouda chips:



They're kettle chips, and they have a STRONG taste of smoked Gouda. They didn't skimp on the seasoning here, folks. It's IN YOUR FACE gouda that actually tastes like the cheese in question and not "a bunch of artificial flavors mixed together to approximate something like gouda". I like them 'cos they're damn good... but also 'cos they reminded me so much of the chips I got in Europe last fall. Like the gouda chips in The Netherlands. Or the "Sandwich Parisien" (ham & cheese) chips I got in Paris:



Now those were the best chips I've had in a long, long time.
Rex Fenestrarum is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 11:56 AM
  #128  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,907
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Assuming it's the same flavor, it's gone from Voodoo Gumbo to Voodoo to Voodoo Heat.

The Spicy Cajun Crawtators are still my favorite. We can get most of the flavors here for around $2 a bag, but we stock up every time we visit my wife's family because they are cheaper (and have larger sizes) down south.
Voodoo and Voodoo Heat are 2 different flavors and they sell both concurrently. They both have the same salt and vinegar/BBQ taste but Heat adds a good bit of heat on the back end.
Timber is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 11:59 AM
  #129  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,658
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
we stock up every time we visit my wife's family because they are cheaper (and have larger sizes) down south.
Do you have Utz chips in your area? 'Cos Utz bought Zapp's in 2011, and Zapp's have slowly been making their way from "chips you can only buy at hipster delis" to "available at most grocery stores" here in Charlotte. Which is pretty awesome, 'cos Utz chips themselves weren't available here at all until 2008 or so (after being available in Raleigh for decades). I love me some Crab and Grandma Utz's chips!
Rex Fenestrarum is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 12:07 PM
  #130  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,918
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

I've been eating the Cape Cod Roasted Black Garlic Kettle chips lately. It's not some super unique flavor, but man I could eat a bag of those a day.

RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 01:05 PM
  #131  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Upright, in a cool, dry place
Posts: 4,211
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Do you have Utz chips in your area? 'Cos Utz bought Zapp's in 2011, and Zapp's have slowly been making their way from "chips you can only buy at hipster delis" to "available at most grocery stores" here in Charlotte. Which is pretty awesome, 'cos Utz chips themselves weren't available here at all until 2008 or so (after being available in Raleigh for decades). I love me some Crab and Grandma Utz's chips!
AHA! I used to love Zapp's Cajun Crawtators, but something was different the last few times I bought them. They were still good, but not the same. Albertson's grocery store used to sell them in the 80s and 90s until they went away. I have seen them at BigLots recently.
Quatermass is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 02:04 PM
  #132  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,294
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Do you have Utz chips in your area?
We do, although they typically show up at outlet stores like Big Lots and Ollie's. In contrast, Zapp's typically show up at the nicer independent or specialty grocery stores. Neither are readily (if ever) available at the major chains like Kroger and Meijer.
printerati is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 07:29 PM
  #133  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,847
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

World Market regularly carries Zapp's chips, and I've bought the Guinness chips there, too.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 07:43 PM
  #134  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,452
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

I've been chomping down on Baked Lays. The cheddar and sour cream and chives.
OldBoy is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 07:44 PM
  #135  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,452
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I've been eating the Cape Cod Roasted Black Garlic Kettle chips lately. It's not some super unique flavor, but man I could eat a bag of those a day.

Those look amazing!

I've had Cape Cod chips and they are quite good.
OldBoy is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 09:11 PM
  #136  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,285
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

These things are so addictive, if I buy a bag I can't stop shoveling them into my mouth until the bag is empty.

cultshock is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 09:33 PM
  #137  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,746
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
These things are so addictive, if I buy a bag I can't stop shoveling them into my mouth until the bag is empty.

That is my entire youth right there. Loved both versions of those fries.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 12:47 AM
  #138  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,154
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

I loved this potato chip when shopping at my local Trader's Joe.

dom56 is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 04:21 AM
  #139  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,847
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed



These are very good. I pick up a bag or two whenever I'm in Whole Foods.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 08:06 AM
  #140  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 6,159
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I've been chomping down on Baked Lays. The cheddar and sour cream and chives.
Are these still made with olestra? If so, I don't think you will be enjoying them much longer.
Deadman31 is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 08:17 AM
  #141  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,918
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post


These are very good. I pick up a bag or two whenever I'm in Whole Foods.
I love those Terra blue chips they serve on Jet Blue flights, will have to try the red.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 08:40 AM
  #142  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,426
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Are these still made with olestra? If so, I don't think you will be enjoying them much longer.
I'm pretty sure the "Olean" Lays Light Chips you're thinking of haven't been made in over a decade. However, my bowels remember them like it was yesterday. LOL!
clappj is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 08:43 AM
  #143  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,426
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I love those Terra blue chips they serve on Jet Blue flights, will have to try the red.
Why not have both?



Looks perfect for the 4th!
clappj is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 12:58 PM
  #144  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,486
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

I ordered a 25 pack of those Voodoo chips. I hope they're as good as people say, otherwise I'll be stuck with them for a while.

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
That is my entire youth right there. Loved both versions of those fries.
They also had steak fries, and a few other discontinued versions.
bluetoast is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 01:58 PM
  #145  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,285
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

According to wikipedia, here's all the current and past flavors:

Hot Fries
Hot Chili Cheese Steak Fries (discontinued)
Salsa Fries (discontinued)
Cheddar Fries
Cheddar and Bacon Fries (Southeastern U.S. only)
White Cheddar Steak Fries (discontinued)
BBQ Fries
Zesty Ranch


I just bought a bag of Hot Fries and the only other flavors they show on the back are Cheddar and BBQ. I don't recall seeing Zesty Ranch, perhaps it's regional? I'm curious about the Cheddar and Bacon Fries, too bad they are only sold in the Southeast.

EDIT: It looks like Zesty Ranch flavor is only distributed to schools, that's why I've never seen it.

Last edited by cultshock; 06-29-16 at 02:33 PM.
cultshock is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 03:33 PM
  #146  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,658
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
According to wikipedia, here's all the current and past flavors:

Hot Fries
Hot Chili Cheese Steak Fries (discontinued)
Salsa Fries (discontinued)
Cheddar Fries
Cheddar and Bacon Fries (Southeastern U.S. only)
White Cheddar Steak Fries (discontinued)
BBQ Fries
Zesty Ranch
Actually, your list left off the original flavor - Pub Fries - which were only salted. My dad's company sold Pub Fries and Hot Fries for the longest time. Then, some time in the mid-90s, they started adding other flavors - Cheddar Fries, BBQ Fries - and Pub Fries disappeared. Whenever it was, it was before the line was sold to ConAgra... I remember that much.

Here's a pic of an old bag of Pub Fries (to prove that they existed). But I only remember them coming in packaging like this, though.
Rex Fenestrarum is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 03:52 PM
  #147  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,746
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Actually, your list left off the original flavor - Pub Fries - which were only salted. My dad's company sold Pub Fries and Hot Fries for the longest time. Then, some time in the mid-90s, they started adding other flavors - Cheddar Fries, BBQ Fries - and Pub Fries disappeared. Whenever it was, it was before the line was sold to ConAgra... I remember that much.

Here's a pic of an old bag of Pub Fries (to prove that they existed). But I only remember them coming in packaging like this, though.
Didn't realize they had those other flavors. I have only had the hot and cheddar flavors.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 04:34 PM
  #148  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,486
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

I forgot to mention that jalapeño veggie straws are fucking awesome. Don't let the healthy looking packaging fool you, this is some good stuff:

bluetoast is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 04:46 PM
  #149  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,754
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed



Hottest chips I've ever tasted.

I need a new source. My stockpile was recently tapped out and my local grocery store no longer carries them.
funkyryno is offline  
Old 06-29-16, 05:01 PM
  #150  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,285
Re: Potato chips and other snacks - reviewed

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Actually, your list left off the original flavor - Pub Fries - which were only salted. My dad's company sold Pub Fries and Hot Fries for the longest time. Then, some time in the mid-90s, they started adding other flavors - Cheddar Fries, BBQ Fries - and Pub Fries disappeared. Whenever it was, it was before the line was sold to ConAgra... I remember that much.

Here's a pic of an old bag of Pub Fries (to prove that they existed). But I only remember them coming in packaging like this, though.
Oh, that's right, the wiki article mentions "Pub Fries" but they were left off the list. ConAgra got involved in 1988 so perhaps that's when they stopped making that flavor. Thanks for the pic, 15 cents a bag, I wish!
cultshock is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.