Reload this Page >

The iPod Vending Machine...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-12-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took this picture at an airport in Minnesota yesterday...

Who actually buys an iPod out of one of these? You can't even use it right out of the box. There's no music on it! They sell everything in this vending machine to go with it, and you can't use any of it until you get home. I'm really wondering what idiot buys an iPod from this thing thinking they'll be able to actually use it on their flight.

= J
Old 09-12-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
I've seen similar Sony vending machines in Indianapolis on Concourses A and C and though the same thing.
Old 09-12-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an old article, but apparently they sell a ton of them. They talked about adding music downloading kiosks to the machines, are you sure this one didn't have one of those attached?

IPod Vending Machines Are A Hit
By Scott Gilbertson December 28, 2006 | 7:34:25 PMCategories: Travel
Earlier this year I passed through Atlanta’s Hartfield Airport on my way back from nine months out of the country. It was my first step back into American culture and the first thing I saw when I got off the plane was a vending machine filled with iPods, headphones and other small electronic gizmos.

I remember thinking at the time that America had made some massive consumer leap in my absence, vending machines having upgraded from candy bars to iPods. I thought it was a brilliant idea since the prospect of spending hours waiting in an airport surrounded by screaming babies and crackling passenger announcements would probably send even the most ardent of Apple haters scrambling to thrust their credit card in the machine.

Apparently I’m not alone in thinking the machines were a great idea. The Atlanta Journal Constitution reports (stupid F$*#ing registration required, sorry) that the iPod vending machines are wildly successful.

Mark Mullins, executive vice-president of Zoom, the company behind the machines, tells the AJC, “We put in some iPods and found we couldn’t keep them in stock. We found no customer resistance to swiping a card and buying a $300 item from a machine. We’re selling thousands (of iPods), and the machines at the Atlanta airport are major contributors to that.”

Of course there’s no way for the those shattered-nerve impulse buyers to put any music on their new iPod, but another Zoom spokesperson says there are plans to add a music-download kiosk across from the iPod vending machine.

The machines are also in the San Francisco airport and are reportedly starting to pop up in hotels and other locations across the country. And for those who were wondering, no the iPod doesn’t drop in the machine, a robotic arm grabs it and hands it to you.

Photo by Louie Favorite of the Atlanta Journal Constitution
Old 09-12-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure. I didn't check it out too much as I was on my way to the terminal.

= J
Old 09-12-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts
I get pissed off when a coke machine robs me of my 50 cents... I'm not going to risk losing $200+ on an iPod that never arrives.
Old 09-12-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've seen these at airports. Not a bad idea for an impulse buy. Also good if you forgot to get someone a gift. I don't find the "not loaded with music" thing an issue since most people would probably buy one on their way home.
Old 09-12-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They have one of these at the Macy's near my house.

I've never seen anyone purchase anything from that one...nor do I ever see anyone purchase anything from the big proactiv machines either.
Old 09-12-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by U6C84 View Post
They have one of these at the Macy's near my house.

I've never seen anyone purchase anything from that one...nor do I ever see anyone purchase anything from the big proactiv machines either.
Was going to say the same thing. Seen them in airports as well.

Problem is if you're buying it in a pinch to have something (impulse shuffle buy?) you don't have any music for it!
Old 09-12-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That must be fairly new because about 11 months ago it wasn't there. This has also been discussed here I believe the original thread was about ones found in Atlanta. I agree the only good use for these is as a gift for someone, or international travelers where maybe this would be cheaper then getting it in your home country.
Old 09-12-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think if someone bought one before getting on a plane then they may have their laptop with music, etc... and can therefore charge them... but the last minute gift idea isn't a bad one.
Old 09-12-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I've seen these at airports. Not a bad idea for an impulse buy. Also good if you forgot to get someone a gift. I don't find the "not loaded with music" thing an issue since most people would probably buy one on their way home.
I'm guessing that's where quite a few sales come from, so in that case it wouldn't matter if it was charged or not.
Old 09-12-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by C-Mart View Post
I think if someone bought one before getting on a plane then they may have their laptop with music, etc... and can therefore charge them... but the last minute gift idea isn't a bad one.
Exactly.

Also, if you were going to buy one anyway, it saves you a trip to the store, or having to wait for mail order to arrive.
Old 09-12-08, 01:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I get pissed off when a coke machine robs me of my 50 cents... I'm not going to risk losing $200+ on an iPod that never arrives.

HaHa...I hear ya - I lost .75c once on a bag chips and kicked the glass and cracked it. They'd throw me in jail for life if a machine DARED to put a charge on my card and not give me my product.
Old 09-12-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's really ingenious. I can see something happening like the Twix episode of Seinfeld, though..
Old 09-12-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1 View Post
That must be fairly new because about 11 months ago it wasn't there. This has also been discussed here I believe the original thread was about ones found in Atlanta. I agree the only good use for these is as a gift for someone, or international travelers where maybe this would be cheaper then getting it in your home country.
No way. I haven't flown in almost a year and I've seen that machine there many times before. Maybe it's in a different location, but I've definitely noticed it.

I've wondered about it myself, but I always have my laptop with me which has music on it...so in a pinch, I could actually get this to work.
Old 09-12-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
That's really ingenious. I can see something happening like the Twix episode of Seinfeld, though..
Haha, I was thinking the same thing...
Old 09-12-08, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 160 Likes on 120 Posts
These are old. The first one I saw was in Vons supermarket in San Diego in 2005
Old 09-12-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
No worries, you just have to put a Post It note on it with your name and a note that says "Machine ate my $200".
Old 09-12-08, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
I'm really wondering what idiot buys an iPod from this thing thinking they'll be able to actually use it on their flight.
An idiot with a laptop. Specifically, an idiot with a laptop that doesn't have enough power to make it the entire flight.

Well, or an idiot flying home who needs a gift ("Sorry, I couldn't wrap it because of security").
Old 09-12-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

congratulations on your first trip in a major airport at least in the last 4 years
Old 09-12-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
No way. I haven't flown in almost a year and I've seen that machine there many times before. Maybe it's in a different location, but I've definitely noticed it.

I've wondered about it myself, but I always have my laptop with me which has music on it...so in a pinch, I could actually get this to work.
Thats weird because the last time we flew we were real bored because we got there way to early (paranoia ) and I don't remember seeing although I have seen all the lottery machines maybe my drugs were kicking in and didn't noticed it.
Old 09-12-08, 02:39 PM

If someone had a laptop with music on it wouldn't they just listen to it off of that instead of spending $200?
Old 09-12-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jiffy97 View Post
If someone had a laptop with music on it wouldn't they just listen to it off of that instead of spending $200?
As someone said earlier, battery life. Especially if your laptop only lasts a couple hours and you could listen to the iPod for a few more on a long trip.
Old 09-12-08, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jiffy97 View Post
When I fly internationally, I have 3 batteries for my laptop and I still usually run out of power at some point. Most people just have 1 battery.

I do see these things more often in Macy's than in airports.

Last edited by matta; 09-12-08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's better than the crappy airport gift shop gifts my dad used to bring me home from business trips.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.