Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Changes that your subconscious hasn't absorbed yet?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 08-20-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else still make some wrong associations because something has changed but you haven't 'absorbed' the change yet? Let me clarify with a couple of examples; feel free to add your own.

From the world of politics: For my entire life, until very recently, democrats were always associated with the color red, and republicans with blue. (Really!) Then (apparently) a few years ago, some networks during election coverage decided to make the 'official' color associations, except they got it backwards--blue was now the democrat color and red for republicans. So now, when someone refers to a 'red state' my initial thought is that it means a democratic state until I think it through, and vice-versa for 'blue states.' Annoying as hell, I tell ya!

From the world of sports: I still think of the Brewers as an American league team, until I catch myself and remember that they're now in the NL. For some reason that outdated association sticks with me more than other teams that have switched leagues over the years.

Any more outdated subconscious associations to report?
Old 08-20-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still think that you need to let your food cool for several hours before putting it in the icebox.
Old 08-20-08, 11:43 AM
X
Administrator

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze View Post
From the world of politics: For my entire life, until very recently, democrats were always associated with the color red, and republicans with blue. (Really!) Then (apparently) a few years ago, some networks during election coverage decided to make the 'official' color associations, except they got it backwards--blue was now the democrat color and red for republicans. So now, when someone refers to a 'red state' my initial thought is that it means a democratic state until I think it through, and vice-versa for 'blue states.' Annoying as hell, I tell ya!
I've mentioned that before and it always makes me have to think about what they mean when they say "red state" or "blue state". I know enough not to have an initial thought about it because it will be wrong.
Old 08-20-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
I still think that you need to let your food cool for several hours before putting it in the icebox.
You still have an icebox?

Originally Posted by X View Post
I've mentioned that before and it always makes me have to think about what they mean when they say "red state" or "blue state". I know enough not to have an initial thought about it because it will be wrong.
I still have the initial reaction, but realize it's wrong before I act on it. It drove me nuts for a while, because several people I mentioned this to swore that democrats had *always* been blue, and republicans had *always* been red. I thought I had entered an alternate universe or something. And then I realized the people I were asking were just very young and/or had little long-term memory.

Last edited by drmoze; 08-20-08 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-20-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Minnesota changed the naming of a number of their public universities a few years ago, so they would all be Minnesota State University --town--. I have never gotten used to the new name for the local one, which went from MSU (Moorhead State U) to MSUM (Minnesota State U Moorhead).
Old 08-20-08, 11:56 AM

I still think of it as the NASCAR Busch series and Winston Cup series, even though it hasn't been the Winston for 5 years now.
Old 08-20-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I imagine 1AA might stay in the College Football subconscious for a long time.
Old 08-20-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
The one thing that comes to mind immediately is when women get married and it takes a long time for the new last name to "stick"
Old 08-20-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I still expect to see houses near the beach that Katrina took away.

I don't think I'll every adjust to the fact that entire neighborhoods less than a mile from my house disappeared in the span of a few hours.

Last edited by Palaver; 08-20-08 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-20-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 155 Likes on 92 Posts
Though I hate wrestling, it still sounds weird to me when I hear "WWE". I'm a "child of the 80s" and grew up with Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, cartoons, etc. And it will always be the WWF to me.
Old 08-20-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Stadiums or venues that get bought by some corporation and change the name - Angel Stadium will always be Angel Stadium and The Pond will always be The Pond to me. There's a bunch of others in SoCal but I can't think of them right now.
Old 08-20-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

08/18/08 GatorDeb becomes a U.S. Citizen !!

Scary, I don't want to believe it!
Old 08-20-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Minnesota changed the naming of a number of their public universities a few years ago, so they would all be Minnesota State University --town--. I have never gotten used to the new name for the local one, which went from MSU (Moorhead State U) to MSUM (Minnesota State U Moorhead).

Same here. Alumnus of Mankato State University and now it doesn't even exist Well it does...just not the name.
Old 08-20-08, 01:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I used to think that Barrack Obama was a US Senator and presidential candidate, until a "staunch Democrat" informed me that he's actually a TERRORIST.
Old 08-20-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I still call concert halls by their old names even though many of them have new sponsors, so the names have changed.

For example:

The Palace is now Avalon.
Irvine Meadows is now Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre.
Universal Amphitheatre is now Gibson Amphitheatre.

I'll never get used to calling them by these new names.
Old 08-20-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still think of Smashing Pumpkin's "Adore" as their "new album".

I still call the smaller Saab the "900" despite the fact that they haven't made a 900 in a couple of decades.

Hartford still has an NHL team, right? Ddidn't they play the North Stars for the cup last year?
Old 08-20-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Idlewild and Canaveral still sounds better to me.
Old 08-20-08, 02:26 PM

When the Purple Rain album first came out, When Doves Cry was the first single so I would always tend to listen to that side first and I thought of it as side A.

Only when it came out on CD did I realize it was side B - the CD still seems out of order to me!
Old 08-20-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I still call concert halls by their old names even though many of them have new sponsors, so the names have changed.

For example:

Irvine Meadows is now Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre.
Universal Amphitheatre is now Gibson Amphitheatre.

I'll never get used to calling them by these new names.

No shit!! This one got you too huh?

Verizon Wireless will -always- be "Irvine Meadows" to me; and up until your post, I thought the Gibson Amphitheater was a separate hall <i>near</i> the Universal Amphitheater.
Old 08-20-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not all black people are trying to mug me.
Old 08-20-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post

Verizon Wireless will -always- be "Irvine Meadows" to me; and up until your post, I thought the Gibson Amphitheater was a separate hall <i>near</i> the Universal Amphitheater.
Same here. One time my friend got us tix for a show there and I didn't even realize where we were going until we pulled up. I've always disliked that venue because it can be a bitch to get good seats if you don't grab them real quick. I'll be there again Nov. 5th.

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Not all black people are trying to mug me.
He said <i>changes</i>, I believe...
Old 08-20-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still call the Washington Wizards the Bullets.

CVS drugstores are Peoples.

Rite Aid stores are Drugfair.

Macy's is Hecht's, well, I dont go in there anymore so its Macy's.
Old 08-20-08, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post

When asked for my phone number, the first number that comes to mind is my parents' number, complete with the 213 area code that has since changed to 310 and then to 562.
Old 08-20-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Stadiums or venues that get bought by some corporation and change the name - Angel Stadium will always be Angel Stadium and The Pond will always be The Pond to me. There's a bunch of others in SoCal but I can't think of them right now.
Yeah! Honda Center my butt!
Old 08-21-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
When the Purple Rain album first came out, When Doves Cry was the first single so I would always tend to listen to that side first and I thought of it as side A.

Only when it came out on CD did I realize it was side B - the CD still seems out of order to me!
Sorta on the audio out of order item: I heard a Beatles song -- "Strawberry Fields Forever" I think -- on the radio riding in the back seat of a friend's car. One of the speakers was dead so I only heard half of the song since stereo recordings in the '60s separated instruments or vocals to one channel. It sounded odd when I heard the full song and sometimes I will shift the balance to remember the song how I initially heard it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.