Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Jack in the Box Smoothies?

Old 08-18-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack in the Box Smoothies?

Looks like Jack is trying to cash in the fruit smoothie craze. Anyone have one yet?

I have, it was not too bad.

I think this makes it the 3rd healthy option at JinB.
Old 08-18-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=536192
Old 08-18-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For some reason I read this thread title as "Cracker Jack smoothies", and I was trying to imagine the texture.
Old 08-18-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No Jack in the box in NY
I also see commercials for Sonic all the time and we don't have any of those either
Old 08-18-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I was trying to imagine the texture"

"Jack in the Box"

Thats what she said
Old 08-18-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How healthy are they? I had the Strawberry Banana one a month or so ago when they first came out and thought it was pretty good.
Old 08-19-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

loaded with sugars.
Old 08-19-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, pretty bad compared to some other smoothie places. The problem is that even though they advertise that these are "real fruit" smoothies, which they technically do use fruit, it comes in a puree form that is in a base mixed with other stuff delivered to their store.

Ingredients for their strawberry base:
Strawberry Smoothie Base Sweeteners (High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar), Water, Strawberries, Less Than 1% of: Concentrated Lemon and Lime Juices, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid (Provides Tartness), Guar and Karaya Gums, Beet Juice (Color).

That being said, if you are going to have one anyway, here's a coupon from their site:

http://jackinthebox.com/smoothies/in...ampaign=HP-SMO
Old 08-19-08, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a coupon sheet in the mail today for Jack in the Box, and two of them are smoothie coupons. One is free with no purchase necessary and the other is free with any combo purchase.

Jamba Juice is right across the street in the Safeway.. so I'd go with that over JITB personally.
Old 08-19-08, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As previously pointed out, I love the strawberry one but I'm not paying $3.50 a smoothie so I got a smoothie blender
Old 08-19-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
How healthy are they? I had the Strawberry Banana one a month or so ago when they first came out and thought it was pretty good.
No fat, 290 calories or so, not that big of a hit in terms of caloric intake
Old 08-19-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
Actually, pretty bad compared to some other smoothie places. The problem is that even though they advertise that these are "real fruit" smoothies, which they technically do use fruit, it comes in a puree form that is in a base mixed with other stuff delivered to their store.

Ingredients for their strawberry base:
Strawberry Smoothie Base Sweeteners (High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar), Water, Strawberries, Less Than 1% of: Concentrated Lemon and Lime Juices, Natural Flavors, Citric Acid (Provides Tartness), Guar and Karaya Gums, Beet Juice (Color).

That being said, if you are going to have one anyway, here's a coupon from their site:

http://jackinthebox.com/smoothies/in...ampaign=HP-SMO

Damnit! So its a loaded sugary bomb! Oh well.
Old 08-19-08, 11:35 AM

Favorite Jack in the Box Story

Good topic. I was tempted to lift my self-imposed ban on Jack in the Box to try this when I first saw the commercials. I think it's been well over 8 years since I've eaten there. I'm still tempted to try this, but the main ingredient being high fructose corn syrup is a major turnoff.

I remember flying to Seattle to meet up with a pair of college friends who were driving down from Calgary. When I got off the plane without eating, one friend said he would drive me anywhere to get some food before we started to head down to Portland. Since I live in Houston and hated Taco Bell, I asked for a trip to the far superior Canadian chain Taco Time.

Fortunately, there was one right outside the airport exit. As we were going through the drive-thru, the second friend who was riding shotgun noticed there was a Jack in the Box in the next building over. He said he wanted to try it since the commercials show up all the time via the US channels in Canada, and I told him, "No, you don't."

The first friend who was driving and hadn't even tried Jack in the Box repeated my opinion, made an excuse about having to make up time and then peeled out of the parking lot to Portland before he could be convinced otherwise. My second friend is still choked up about us denying him Jack in the Box to this day.

We basically say we did him a favour and he should thank us!

Last edited by Barings; 08-19-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-19-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You denied him the chance to try a bacon ultimate cheeseburger?

FAILFRIEND
Old 08-19-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lethal Nemesis View Post
You denied him the chance to try a Breakfast Jack?
Fixed.
Old 08-19-08, 05:30 PM
Banned

Since I don't have a JACK IN THE BOX by me are the tacos still good like they were in the 1970's?
Old 08-19-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Barings View Post
Good topic. I was tempted to lift my self-imposed ban on Jack in the Box to try this when I first saw the commercials. I think it's been well over 8 years since I've eaten there. I'm still tempted to try this, but the main ingredient being high fructose corn syrup is a major turnoff.

I remember flying to Seattle to meet up with a pair of college friends who were driving down from Calgary. When I got off the plane without eating, one friend said he would drive me anywhere to get some food before we started to head down to Portland. Since I live in Houston and hated Taco Bell, I asked for a trip to the far superior Canadian chain Taco Time.

Fortunately, there was one right outside the airport exit. As we were going through the drive-thru, the second friend who was riding shotgun noticed there was a Jack in the Box in the next building over. He said he wanted to try it since the commercials show up all the time via the US channels in Canada, and I told him, "No, you don't."

The first friend who was driving and hadn't even tried Jack in the Box repeated my opinion, made an excuse about having to make up time and then peeled out of the parking lot to Portland before he could be convinced otherwise. My second friend is still choked up about us denying him Jack in the Box to this day.

We basically say we did him a favour and he should thank us!
I like Jack in the Box, so you didn't do him any favors as far as I'm concerned
Old 08-19-08, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I like Jack in the Box, so you didn't do him any favors as far as I'm concerned
To each his own. (My dad actually enjoyed their food!) We made it up to him when we ate at Sizzler on the way back to Seattle. I recommended only ordering an entree which is what the first friend and I got and he ordered an entree along with the unlimited salad bar since he had a bigger appetite.

He was pretty choked up again because there was a ton of great stuff (wings, tacos, dessert) at the salad bar and all three of us snuck food from there. He said, "You didn't tell me there was meat in the salad bar!!" and I was like, "I didn't know, Man! It's called a salad bar!" We all had a great meal that night.

I was talking to a co-worker earlier today about the smoothie ad. She thought the concept of the sweaty guy in shorts stretching in the Jamba Juice style place and how you can pick up a smoothie at Jack in the Box without leaving the car was hilarious.

I said it was a memorable ad, but that I enjoyed it ironically since that is probably what Jack in the Box food tastes like. I basically gave up on them after they had a huge food poisoning incident in the late nineties.

Maybe it's just me, but I try to avoid fast food if I can. When I do, I prefer to buy it in the suburbs. It just seems the cleaning standards aren't as stringent within the Beltway and especially the Loop for Houston fast food chains.
Old 08-19-08, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Barings View Post
To each his own. (My dad actually enjoyed their food!) We made it up to him when we ate at Sizzler on the way back to Seattle. I recommended only ordering an entree which is what the first friend and I got and he ordered an entree along with the unlimited salad bar since he had a bigger appetite.

I was going to ask how it's possible anybody could dislike Jack in the Box, now I see that you must be kidding. Sizzler is the most disgusting "steakhouse" ever created. Wasn't there any fresh roadkill around?
Old 08-20-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you go between 2-4 PM, they are half price.
Old 08-20-08, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Since I don't have a JACK IN THE BOX by me are the tacos still good like they were in the 1970's?
They are still fried and dripping w/ greasy goodness. Two for $1.

I received some coupons for the smoothies, but I can't see myself using them. Aside from their tacos, the only items I order are off of the breakfast menu.
Old 08-20-08, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JP5683 View Post
If you go between 2-4 PM, they are half price.
For JITB?! I thought only Sonic did that here.