Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Creeepiest Guy Ever?

Old 08-19-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
We disagree, okay. Whether you or I or anyone else is pro- or anti-Mrs. D is beside the point, and isn't really the issue here. Forget "empowering victims" or "excusing molesters" for a minute, and focus instead on the response.

Waporvare made an unsupporable and (at least ot me) reprehensible comment regarding someone "obviously" having been molested as a child. That's out of bounds, period, and was uncalled for.
Unsupportable you say?

http://feeling-bloggy.blogspot.com/
Old 08-19-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read kenbuzz's comment, didn't really focus on it before. Why is it so reprehensible to suggest that someone was abused? If they were not, then it really shouldn't matter, should it? I certainly wouldn't find it offensive if someone suggested I was. If they were abused, the only reprehensible aspect of it is perhaps they don't want to talk about it or admit it.

Is it reprehensible to suggest someone was raped? If it is, wouldn't that actually be victimizing the victims even more? Or is it the fear that falsely identifying someone that way somehow trivializes the issue?
Old 08-19-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think each week we should pick a different otter and speculate on their childhood sexual experiences.
Old 08-19-08, 08:52 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Ooh! Do me next!
Old 08-19-08, 08:53 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Ooh! Do me next!
With opening lines like those, I'll bet you were quite a "busy" kid.
Old 08-19-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
We disagree, okay. Whether you or I or anyone else is pro- or anti-Mrs. D is beside the point, and isn't really the issue here. Forget "empowering victims" or "excusing molesters" for a minute, and focus instead on the response.

Waporvare made an unsupporable and (at least ot me) reprehensible comment regarding someone "obviously" having been molested as a child. That's out of bounds, period, and was uncalled for.
Hey, so is it "in bounds" for me to take your similar moral outrage at you incorrectly and unjustifiably criticizing Waporvare for what turned out to be a very insightful observation?

Being fair-minded as I know you are, I look forward to your apology to him.
Old 08-19-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
The odds are pretty good that this guy will not repeat his crimes.
This is OFFICIALLY the stupidest thing anyone has ever said at any time anywhere. And that's including the past 8 years of the Bush Administration!
Old 08-20-08, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by talemyn View Post
Children (and even teens, to a certain level) are not well enough equipped to protect themselves from the impact of that kind of negativity. As a result, it has an obvious impact on their core development as a person.
i agree, and have personal experience of plenty of shit during that stage of my life, so i understand the lack of perspective that exists during childhood. however that doesn't mean that things have to always be that way for that person, or that because the development of the person during childhood is affected that their later self is suffering a "life sentence". we undergo a huge range of experiences during our childhoods, and only some of them are likely to be massively negative. as you say it is entirely possible to overcome negative experiences by counterballencing them with possitive ones. i also don't subscribe to the freudian view that we are forever trapped by the events of our childhood. but then freud was an extreme pessimist of human nature.
Old 08-20-08, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by emptysky View Post
You can let something go all you want, pretend it never happened, or be 'over it' and never think about it, but it is still affecting you, your interactions with people, relationships, etc.

Since you say psychology is mostly BS, what way are you advocating that people should use to choose not to let something affect you? How do you choose not to have nightmares, not to have things pop into your mind when you don't want them to, etc when such things aren't a conscious choice? Everyone I've ever met who felt strongly about how you could let go and not let something affect you was a big fan of psychology.
i said that i think "much" of psychology is bollocks, not all of it. of course many theorums have counter views from other schools within the art (i hesitate to call it a science). an eminently sensible method (and one which has demonstrated high levels of success) is known as cognative behavourial therepy (cbt). this matches thought patterns and their resultant behaviour. it turns out that the brain doesn't mind which memories you use to produce various states within the mind, so it's simply a matter of practice in reinforcing those states and memories over and over until you are able to induce the state you desire. despite the half funny tom cruise comment earlier this is an official medical technique in both our countries, and is becoming increasingly common.