Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Any cool stuff to do in Atlanta?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-16-08, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm turning 21 next week and I'm going to head up there the 29th for the weekend. Any cool stuff I should check out?
Old 08-16-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Taco Mac
Old 08-16-08, 11:35 AM

Received 230 Likes on 138 Posts
http://atlantaimprov.com/
Old 08-16-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Varsity.

Go to Buckhead, cool stuff there.

Little 5 Points is cool stuff.

Masquerade is a pretty cool club, Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell. Three floors with live music on each. I've had some wild ass times there.
Old 08-16-08, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
I'm turning 21 next week and I'm going to head up there the 29th for the weekend. Any cool stuff I should check out?
Are you looking for "I just turned 21" cool stuff, or just stuff to do during the day?
Old 08-16-08, 04:47 PM

Stuff to do during the day. Are there any classy movie theaters or anything?
Old 08-16-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you'd be interested in seeing Indy IV, it's playing that Saturday at the Fox Theater , which is a beautiful venue. You can also travel 45 minutes or so north on I-85 and see TDK in IMAX at the Mall of Georgia - 'the largest mall in the southeast'.

If you're interested in seeing naked ladies, The Cheetah is fairly classy (and expensive), while The Pink Pony is less expensive and a lot of fun.
Old 08-16-08, 06:37 PM

pink pony
Old 08-16-08, 07:01 PM
Banned

If you're headed downtown, you can visit the aquarium, world of coke, and take the CNN tour. All of that is on the same street. There are also plenty of sports in that area, so you could see what's going on at the Georgia Dome or Phipps. If there's a convention, the World Congress center is right there.

If you want to see a movie, Fox Theatre is highly recommended. Near there, you can get a burger at The Vortex.
Old 08-16-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, wait, wait -- you're going to be in Atlanta on Labor Day weekend? Might I suggest any of the following locations Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights:

Atlanta Hilton:
255 Courtland Street, NE
Atlanta, GA 30303

Hyatt Regency Atlanta:
265 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30303

Marriott Marquis Atlanta:
265 Peachtree Center Ave
Atlanta, GA 30303

Sheraton Atlanta Hotel:
165 Courtland Street
Atlanta, GA 30303

If nothing else, see the parade on Saturday, August 30. "The parade starts promptly at 10:00 AM. Our parade route follows Peachtree Street from Woodruff Park (at Auburn Avenue) to the Hyatt, continues down Baker Street and ends at the Marriott."

das
Old 08-19-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, the Georgia DOT is pretty much going to shut down 75/85 Southbound near 14th St. on Labor Day weekend, so look for alternate route downtown if you are coming from the north end of Atlanta. This is so going to suck since there is also a SEC football game at the Georgia Dome on that Saturday, and traffic is going to be such a nightmare, moreso than normal.
Old 09-07-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Need some help with The World of Coca Cola and the Georgia Aquarium, they have so many different ticket combo passes it is hard to decide!

I think the one that I'm going to get is:

Georgia Aquarium Deepo Pass which includes immediate entry and a ticket to Deepo's 4D Theater
World of Coca Cola
Zoo Atlanta
Inside CNN Atlanta Studio Tour
Fernbank Museum of Natural History or
Atlanta Botanical Garden
High Museum of Art or Atlanta History Center

All for $69.00

This looks really good but they have a disclaimer: CityPasses purchased through CityPass or other attractions are only valid for the next available timed entry at the World of Coca-Cola and may require a wait of several hours or next day admission depending on availability.

I don't have time for that I'm only in Atlanta 2 days, is it really that busy? (I'll be there on a Sunday and Monday; baseball will be over and the Falcons are out of town)

I see the Georgia Aquarium has a Sea Keepers behind the scenes tour for $69.00, is it worth it?

Also is a quick visit to Stone Mountain worth while?

Last edited by Lateralus; 09-07-08 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-07-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've only been there twice, both times for the Final Four, and I just remember drinking a lot and going to the games, I really wanted to check out the aquarium when I was there last year but didn't get around to it
Old 09-07-08, 12:34 PM
Banned

The last time I went to World of Coke, it wasn't that busy. We got in immediately.

I haven't done the Behind the Scenes tour at the aquarium (I didn't even know they had one). Just visiting is pretty neat, so I'd recommend just visiting the regular attractions the first time, then trying the behind the scenes stuff on a return, unless you're really interested in the behind the scenes stuff.

Stone Mountain... ehh... it's not really a show up and tour kinda place. It's really some place you go, have lunch, hike, etc. It's really a whole-day thing (and not really one of the top things to do in Atlanta). If you really enjoy the outdoors, then a hike up Stone Mountain might be interesting (though, I'd shoot the 'hootch first).

But that sounds like a pretty good deal on that pass. I like the High Museum and the Botanical Gardens, and they're not that far away from downtown. Aquarium, World of Coke, and CNN Tour would be a full day (preferably Monday, when crowds are less) and High Museum, Botanical Gardens, and Zoo could be another day. The day with the museum, you would probably have some time to do some shopping, and you'd be relatively close to Atlantic Station (or you could go to the Underground and be a little more Touristy).
Old 09-07-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did the CNN tour...it was actually pretty cool and got to some a live broadcast (got earlier in the day to see more live stuff, in the evening they switch over to NY). I thought it was interesting.
Old 09-07-08, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I did the CNN tour...it was actually pretty cool and got to some a live broadcast (got earlier in the day to see more live stuff, in the evening they switch over to NY). I thought it was interesting.
If you get there before 10 am, you usually get to meet Robyn Meade near the food court area.
Old 09-07-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by matta View Post
If you get there before 10 am, you usually get to meet Robyn Meade near the food court area.
Sweet! My CNN tour will be Monday morning,