Reload this Page >

Is homophobia acceptable?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-07-08, 08:45 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this guy from a small Midwest town and everytime he visits the city he points out how gay guys look. Keep in mind this guy wears Abercrombie shirts and Under Armour. So I go into H&M to look for a pair of jeans and all he says is "this is the gayest store I've ever been in. Are you gay?" Get son my nerves but then he explains that people who live in bigger cities are too accepting of alternative cultures.
Old 08-07-08, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is a person with a moral and/or religious objection to homosexuality a homophobic?
Old 08-07-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your friend seems overly concerned about other people. I wonder if he may be secretly gay? I only say this because in the past, certain friends of mine behaved like that and then turned out to be gay.
Old 08-07-08, 08:59 AM

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
It's unacceptable.
Old 08-07-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by matta
Is a person with a moral and/or religious objection to homosexuality a homophobic?
If they are picking and choosing "sins", then yes I believe they are anti gay. Like someone who believes homosexulaity is a sin but then cheats on his/her spouse.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 08-07-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 09:04 AM

phobia: an intense, unrealistic fear, which can interfere with the ability to socialize, work, or go about everyday life, that is brought on by an object, event or situation.

So I would say that the question isn't "Is homophobia acceptable?", but "Is it a made up word that is used entirely too often?"
Old 08-07-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

unacceptable. It's one thing to joke, but to actually mean it is ridiculous.

I never understood why some people are so concerned with who someone else fucks. If it's not my asshole, then I'm not concerned. I hope you get all the cock you can handle.

jiffy - we're not questioning semantics here, and the word is most definitely in the dictionary. phobias are unreasonable fears, extent be damned.

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 08-07-08 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jiffy97
phobia: an intense, unrealistic fear, which can interfere with the ability to socialize, work, or go about everyday life, that is brought on by an object, event or situation.

So I would say that the question isn't "Is homophobia acceptable?", but "Is it a made up word that is used entirely too often?"
well i'm afraid of spiders but it doesn't mean it interferes with my ability to socialize, work, or go about everyday life. I usually just kill it or don't instigate it.
Old 08-07-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only when they try to have their "moral and/or religeous objection" affect anyone's life but their own.
Old 08-07-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by marty888
Only when they try to have their "moral and/or religeous objection" affect anyone's life but their own.
Old 08-07-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Your friend seems overly concerned about other people. I wonder if he may be secretly gay? I only say this because in the past, certain friends of mine behaved like that and then turned out to be gay.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-07-08, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
well i'm afraid of spiders but it doesn't mean it interferes with my ability to socialize, work, or go about everyday life. I usually just kill it or don't instigate it.
Right. So by definition it isn't a phobia. It is a fear. And from your explanation, the person in your story isn't afraid of homosexuals (either on a general or phobic level). He doesn't approve of them/ their acceptance in society. All I am saying is that words have meanings.
Old 08-07-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh, yes.
Old 08-07-08, 09:50 AM
Banned

If they are picking and choosing "sins", then yes I believe they are anti gay. Like someone who believes homosexulaity is a sin but then cheats on his/her spouse.
So, unless a person is absolutely perfect and without sin, if that person disagrees with any decision of another, that person is phobic?

This is yet another thing I don't understand about the gay community. From what I hear, gays want understanding and acceptance, but then demand special consideration and denounce anyone who disagrees with them.

So fundamentalist Christians believe you're a sinner if you agree with homosexuality. Homosexuals believe you're homophobic if you disagree with homosexuality. But somehow, the homosexuals claim to be a more accepting group that has the moral highground
Old 08-07-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uh, No. I have a religious objection to sin period. I'd like to think that I don't discriminate. In God's eyes, sin is sin, there are no degrees. Now, if you are asking me would I have a problem living next to, worshipping with or hanging out with gay people, the answer would be no. We are all God's kids and if memory serves, we are admonished to "love one another" by him and not hate each other.
Old 08-07-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, unless a person is absolutely perfect and without sin, if that person disagrees with any decision of another, that person is phobic?

This is yet another thing I don't understand about the gay community. From what I hear, gays want understanding and acceptance, but then demand special consideration and denounce anyone who disagrees with them.

So fundamentalist Christians believe you're a sinner if you agree with homosexuality. Homosexuals believe you're homophobic if you disagree with homosexuality. But somehow, the homosexuals claim to be a more accepting group that has the moral highground
Exactly what "special consideration"?

Let's just put it this way. If someone has religious views that are against homosexuality, that's their right. If this person is a coworker, as long as we treat each other with respect then that's fine. I'm actually in a situation like that at work. We are both adults and work well together. Would I hang out with people that have this point of view on my own free time? No.
Old 08-07-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If someone has a religious objection to non-Caucasians, does that make them non-racist? How about a religious objection to Jews? Does that make them non-anti-Semitic?

The origin of the prejudice is of no concern to me. Dislike gay people all you want, for whatever reason you want; just don't be surprised when people consider you to have a prejudice.
Old 08-07-08, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Uh, yes.
Why? I fundamentally disagree with a lot of things, but I'm not phobic of them. I'm against the death penalty on moral grounds, does that make me capitalpunishmentphobic? I'm against abortion on moral grounds. Does that make me abortaphobic?

In both those cases, I actually wish I could impose my will on others (and I attempt to through voting - if only I could find candidates who agree with me on both counts. It's usually one or the other.).

Homosexuality is different. I believe it is wrong, and fundamentally disagree with it. But I don't believe homosexuals are inherently evil. Hell, I even joke about a man crush on Venusian (obviously, if I followed though with the act that would be wrong - sort of like how saying you're going to rob a bank is different from robbing a bank - I know, it's convenient morality to some). However, I do not judge others (at least I try not to), and do not impose my will on them. That's a personal decision. I don't believe homosexuals are inherently evil, I don't believe we should legislate civil acts against homosexuals that don't impact others (I'm still on the fence about gay adoption), and I don't ostracize homosexuals from my life. I do seek to understand gay culture, because I think understanding is always important in creating commonground between people and promoting understanding.

But I guess that makes me a homophobe because I disagree with homosexuality.
Old 08-07-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How would it be any less homophobic just because a person's imaginary sky fairy told them it's wrong? Seems just as irrational as most any other objection. I don't think it matters how much they themselves "sin".
Old 08-07-08, 10:12 AM
Banned

Exactly what "special consideration"?
Isn't there a big push to have sexual orientation added as a protected class? I know there are already inclusions for it in hate-crime legislation, in hiring legislation, and in many other places.
Old 08-07-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
How would it be any less homophobic just because a person's imaginary sky fairy told them it's wrong?
So being against homosexuality is wrong, but it's okay to crap all over someone's religious beliefs by calling God an "imaginary sky fairy"?

Just for the record, I support gay marriage and have no real religious leaning.
Old 08-07-08, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
How would it be any less homophobic just because a person's imaginary sky fairy told them it's wrong? Seems just as irrational as most any other objection. I don't think it matters how much they themselves "sin".
Maybe I misunderstand the definition of "homophobic" to me, a homophobe is a person that disagrees with homosexuality and actively attempts to display that disagreement in society. So someone who constantly talks down to or negatively about gays, someone who gets violent or aggressive with gays, someone who uses authority to not hire gays or kick gays out of a store, someone who purposefully targets gays, something like that.

You're arguing that the term homophobic applies to anyone who disagrees with homosexuality, even if that person treats homosexuals like any other person and just quietly dissents at home?
Old 08-07-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry all I can think about is "cock meat sandwich" from Harold and Kumar. LOL

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is an opinion not a phobia.

I really have no problem with homosexuality I know some great ppl who are gay, but everyone is entitled to their opinion it does not mean they have have a phobia or that hate them.
Old 08-07-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The word "homophobia" is a poor one, in my opinion. People with a point to prove latch onto the "phobia" part in order to "prove" that they can't be prejudiced against gay people because they're not "afraid" of them. When, of course, in popular usage the word has come to indicate hatred or dislike, not just fear.
Old 08-07-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I know someone I used to work with who was the definition of a homophobic. I had to read a gay novel for my human sexuality class in college (freshman year in 2002) and I was reading it in the office. Naturally he inquired about the book, after my explanation he actually stepped away from me. I said "Dude, you aren't going to catch the gay because I am reading a book". That got this response, "So what are you calling me a *** or something?"

I will never forget that...I am not gay, but damn there are some really ignorant people out there. And I have definitely lobbed a few of those words in a joking manner to my friends (we were all kids then, we know better as adults, but it does slip out every once and a while), but this was just pure hate. The guy never looked at me the same way again. He was convinced that I had "turned over to the dark side" and that I needed saving. It was a surreal experience to say the least.

I suppose the words mean different things depending on where you live and how they are used. It doesn't make it right by any means, but it does put a little perspective on things. It happened in this forum to me...I made the mistake of saying what I thought was harmless (similar to what the OP posted). I know better now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.