Just got my tattoo done...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-02-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had originally had this scheduled for two weeks ago, but I had a work conflict so it got bounced to Thursday. But before I get to the picture, there is a little back story.

For years, I have always wanted to get a tattoo. First time I can remember talking about it was probably around 15 or so. But I was one of those people that thought it was stupid (I believe my exact words were "fucking stupid") to walk in and pick a piece of flash off the wall. It is a total lack of personality, since anyone can get it. And most people tend to get something that "looks cool" now and regret it years later (I have friends now that have done that). So I made a vow that I would never get anything off the wall, no matter what.

In this decision process, I had to think of what was important to me, something that has incredibly deep meaning and something I can always think of when I look at it.

Now to you it may look like just another geeky GI Joe tattoo. However that is simply not the case.

When I was younger, my cousin Jimmy and I were always playing in my back yard....he was Storm Shadow and I was Snake Eyes. It was a ritual for years...epic battles that could go on for hours on end. At the time, that was the be all end all for us, If anything got in our way of being these two characters, we would simply go around it. But there was more underneath the surface. At the time, my aunt and uncle (Jimmy's parents) were fighting a lot about many things. So this was a nice distraction for Jimmy. Meanwhile on my side (and Jimmy's too, on a much smaller scale), our grandfather had died. About a week after my brother was born in September of 1987. My mom was a mess, new baby and the death of her father, it was certainly a very weird time then. This kept us from going totally nuts. And granted we were 5 and 8 at the time, it still something I remember fondly.

Year later (about 10), I had visited Jimmy in Michigan with my parents as part of a vacation. This would have been around 1996-ish and I hadn't seen Jimmy in close to 6 years. And you never know how people are going to be when you haven't seen them in a long time. As soon as I stepped through the door, he said, "So how's it going Snake Eyes?" As if we had just seen each other the day before...not even missing a beat. It was a cool moment in my life...something I won't forget.

It may sound corny, but that is what I think of when I look down at this tattoo. I think about all the good times I had with my cousin and I also remember all those things going on then and how we got through it.
Old 08-02-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very cool. A few thoughts:

-Glad to see it looks quite professional. Straight lines can be a bitch and easy to screw up. Also, it looks nice and solid, although surely there will be a spot or two your artist will have to touch up.

-On first glimpse, it made me think of Black Flag logo(?): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Flag_logo.jpg
....sorry, too lazy to post correctly.

-While I've gotten a piece of flash or two in my time, I have no regrets on them, or any other tattoos I've gotten. It's always been very important for me that they mean something.

-I dug GI Joe when I was a kid, but don't remember it much. Went digging for an image to compare with your tattoo and found this one: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...kSnakeEyes.jpg
The little red "logo" on his shoulder, is that the image, or does Snake Eyes have a larger one?

-Finally, do you own your own business or have a job that is ok with tattoos? I've held off putting anything on my forearms (or anywhere easily spotted) so that I don't have to overdress for work. All my tatts on my arms are above the elbows, and aren't usually sticking out. I've got stuff on my calves, but gotta wear pants to almost any job. Also got a back piece, but again, usually wearing some sort of shirt. Laff...

Enjoy your new ink, and be sure to keep applying whatever the artist tells you on it while it heals. I used cocoa butter for mine, but again, whatever is recommended by the artist.
Old 08-02-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

should have picked something off the wall
Old 08-02-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by harpo787
Glad to see it looks quite professional. Straight lines can be a bitch and easy to screw up. Also, it looks nice and solid, although surely there will be a spot or two your artist will have to touch up.
Considering all of the black and straight lines, whomever did your work did a great job.

Looks almost spot on when compared to this (your spacing is a bit wider though):

I like it. Not sure your current or future employers will, however. You've pretty much just ensured that you'll forever be forced to wear long sleeves at your work place. (Weren't you recently discussing a career change?)
Old 08-02-08, 11:59 AM

imho, it's going to be one of those "fucking stupid," pieces 10 years down the line.

but hey... whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-02-08, 12:21 PM

GI Joe, cool!

Oh wait, you're an adult? ooops.
Old 08-02-08, 12:22 PM

Also, is yours on the underside of your forearm?
Old 08-02-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
I would've gotten something like this instead:

Old 08-02-08, 12:44 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Watch out if you go into Gay Bars!

those kinds of Marks would indicate how deep you can fist!
Old 08-02-08, 12:47 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Watch out if you go into Gay Bars!

those kinds of Marks would indicate how deep you can fist!
Wouldn't that depend more on the fistee than the fister? Unless you are saying that is how far macnorton could be fisted and marked his own arm as an advertisement?
Old 08-02-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another dumb move using skin ink. And the one thing that matters on such a simple design (spacing/ratios of rectangles) was done wrong, as compared to the Snake Eyes pic posted above. So nice that you have such warm, sappy thoughts when looking at this mass of ink on your arm. But, did you stop to consider what the reaction of other people to it might be, as they look at it for the rest of your life? I guess you did give up hopes of having a true professional career, then. Tat Fail.
Old 08-02-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Heh, don't listen to these jokers. As you explained in your narrative, it's not the Arashikage clan symbol itself that matters to you, rather it's the memories of those times you spent with Jimmy that it represents. Good on you, mate, and the work looks top notch.
Old 08-02-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Good on you, mate, and the work looks top notch.
Even with the failed gap sizes between the ugly rectangles?
Old 08-02-08, 01:32 PM
mbs

It might have been done well (I'm not one to judge), but, as others have said, putting that in a visible location is really a mistake.

Right or wrong, I really doubt I would hire someone with such markings.

You should have gone for the tat on your upper arm (and in red) like the first snake eyes picture. That way, you could have your warm fuzzy memories and still keep your job (or get a future job).
Old 08-02-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So why isn't it red?
Old 08-02-08, 01:44 PM

I get it now. I didn't catch the GI Joe reference. When I first saw it, I just thought you were really into old video games.
Old 08-02-08, 02:15 PM

It's an I-Ching hexagram. I would never have connected it to GI Joe, even though I collected and watched it as a kid.

So what's your next tattoo going to be?
Old 08-02-08, 02:20 PM

I don't mean to pile on, and I'm not judging. But, you made this thread so I feel compelled to comment.

Why is it so big? Surely, the simplistic nature of the design would have lent itself well to a small tattoo which could have easily fit anywhere else on the body. Why did you decide to get huge black bars scrawled across the length of your forearm? I'm simply asking from a design standpoint.

Seems like a little two inch tattoo on the outer forearm, or somewhere more hidden, would be much more tasteful and appealing.
Old 08-02-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a lifelong Joe fan, I can appreciate the attempt at an Arashikage symbol, but yours is either too big or your arm is too small.

I'm sorry.
Old 08-02-08, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Considering all of the black and straight lines, whomever did your work did a great job.

Looks almost spot on when compared to this (your spacing is a bit wider though):

I like it. Not sure your current or future employers will, however. You've pretty much just ensured that you'll forever be forced to wear long sleeves at your work place. (Weren't you recently discussing a career change?)
Thanks. I actually took it from the original I Ching Hexagram, which has it spaced a little bit more. It looks like the spacing is off a bit, but my arm is swollen big time right at the moment.

As for the employer question, I actually asked them before I got it and they were cool with it. However that could change come Monday. But I have plenty of other co-workers that have visible ink (with stuff like a motorcycle and a tiger for instance) and my employer seems to be cool with it. If they ask me to cover it up, then I will...no need to cause problems. Yes I was considering a career change, but at the moment that is on hold. I recently (and finally) got rid of one of the tasks that followed me from two jobs with the company, so things are much more comfortable now.
Old 08-02-08, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I don't mean to pile on, and I'm not judging. But, you made this thread so I feel compelled to comment.

Why is it so big? Surely, the simplistic nature of the design would have lent itself well to a small tattoo which could have easily fit anywhere else on the body. Why did you decide to get huge black bars scrawled across the length of your forearm? I'm simply asking from a design standpoint.

Seems like a little two inch tattoo on the outer forearm, or somewhere more hidden, would be much more tasteful and appealing.
It was the original size of the image I found....I really just shortened the bars up to fit my forearm.
Old 08-02-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
I guess you did give up hopes of having a true professional career, then. Tat Fail.
Typically, I share the same sentiment. I have two tattoos on my upper arms closer to my shoulder. They're personal markings that have a cultural meaning to me. With the position they are in they are for me and for anyone that I choose to share it with. They are easily covered with short sleeve shirts.

However, I do not see why having those markings on his forearm would kill his shot a professional career. I agree that they would turn an employer off if they saw it but it is very easy to go your whole professional career and have those covered up. I NEVER have to wear a short sleeve shirt at work. I can easily go into work day in and day out with on my head and hands uncovered.

Maybe if you plan on a golf outting with the boss one day. But even in that case you can swing a long sleeve shirt.

Also Macnorton, don't listen to the guys that are ragging on you for what you have. If it works for you and it means something to you then screw everyone else.
Old 08-02-08, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Heh, don't listen to these jokers. As you explained in your narrative, it's not the Arashikage clan symbol itself that matters to you, rather it's the memories of those times you spent with Jimmy that it represents. Good on you, mate, and the work looks top notch.
That was reason I got it. I said to a co-worker who was busting my balls, "I didn't get it for you". It doesn't matter to me what other people think about (sans my employer....but that is for a different set of reasons), I got it for me. I love the way it looks and it was quality work done by a quality artist*.

*For those wondering it was done by Darren @ Screamin' Ink in Fair Lawn, NJ
Old 08-02-08, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Typically, I share the same sentiment. I have two tattoos on my upper arms closer to my shoulder. They're personal markings that have a cultural meaning to me. With the position they are in they are for me and for anyone that I choose to share it with. They are easily covered with short sleeve shirts.

However, I do not see why having those markings on his forearm would kill his shot a professional career. I agree that they would turn an employer off if they saw it but it is very easy to go your whole professional career and have those covered up. I NEVER have to wear a short sleeve shirt at work. I can easily go into work day in and day out with on my head and hands uncovered.

Maybe if you plan on a golf outting with the boss one day. But even in that case you can swing a long sleeve shirt.

Also Macnorton, don't listen to the guys that are ragging on you for what you have. If it works for you and it means something to you then screw everyone else.
I'm not worried, I already have a professional career...I have been at my job 6 years and I am very valued by my employer. Again I will say if they ask me to cover it up, then I will. It really isn't that big of a deal. I don't deal with clients at all and even if I did, I would still cover it up.
Old 08-02-08, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mole177
imho, it's going to be one of those "fucking stupid," pieces 10 years down the line.

but hey... whatever floats your boat.
I don't agree....as I said in my first post, this one hold a special place in my heart....remembering the good times I had with a cousin who is like a brother to me. Other can say what they want about it, I didn't get it from them, I got it for me. You don't like it, that is fine with me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.