Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Well Shoot, Now Where Will I Get Chipotle Bleu Cheese Burger - Bennigan's merged

Other Talk "Otterville"

Well Shoot, Now Where Will I Get Chipotle Bleu Cheese Burger - Bennigan's merged

Old 07-29-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Shoot, Now Where Will I Get Chipotle Bleu Cheese Burger

Bennigan's, everybody's seventh favorite mid-level bar-and-grille chain, is filing for bankruptcy. And not the normal Chapter 11 reorganization, but full on Chapter 7, "We're so screwed, we aren't even going to try to dig our way out, we're just closing the doors and selling everything." Among other things, this means that as of today all stores nationwide are closed, any giftcards you have are now worthless, and the employees are not just out of work, but they won't get their last paycheck.

And Butters is really disappointed.
Old 07-29-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
You could make it yourself...

http://www.recipezaar.com/264856

... and come to think of it, Chili's has the same burger.
Old 07-29-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our local Bennigan's was terrible, so this isn't too shocking, I guess the mismanagement was institutional. It sucks to see employee's get screwed like that.
Old 07-29-08, 02:33 PM

Where is Butters going to go eat now? And all those Canadians, where will they redeem their coupons??

Last edited by vwbeetlvr; 07-29-08 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good riddance.....
Old 07-29-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vwbeetlvr
Where is Butter's going to go eat now?
Happy happy anniversary from everyone at Bennigans!

Honestly, that's the only reason I wanted to go back there.. after seeing that epsiode. haha. There was only ONE Bennigan's anywhere near me, and it was like two hours away.

They closed like 75% of the restaurants back in 2005 or 2006 as it is. I figure'd it was only a matter of time.
Old 07-29-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully Shenaniganz doesn't receive the same treatment.

Old 07-29-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
And Butters is really disappointed.
Oh, hamburgers...
Spoiler:
but not Chipotle Blue Cheeseburgers.

Old 07-29-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd rather Applebee's go out of business.
Old 07-29-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bennigan's was real?
Old 07-29-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll kind of miss it. I'd go there sometimes during afternoon shopping or whatever.

Food was decent. Though, it was never really crowded. I guess that's a problem.
Old 07-29-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Just corporate owned stores are going out of business. There are two Bennigan's in my town that are franchises and they are staying open. I'm sure everyone will assume they're closing and business will suffer.
Old 07-29-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Bah, this was the only local chain that offered deep fried sandwiches.

Was never a big fan of this place, it was amazing how fast business dropped off back in Tallahassee.
Old 07-29-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
The one near me closed down about a year ago after there was a plumbing burst in the kitchen. They were planning on fixing and reopening for a while but then sold the property.
Old 07-29-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Was there a list somewhere of corporate vs. franchise locations?
Old 07-29-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Was there a list somewhere of corporate vs. franchise locations?
Yeah I need a fix. I wonder if there's a list somewhere.
Old 07-29-08, 03:51 PM

Good-bye Turkey o'Toole...

that's about all i will miss though
Old 07-29-08, 04:03 PM
Banned

Doesn't Ruby Tuesdays have these? They have like 40 different kind of hamburgers.
Old 07-29-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Bah, this was the only local chain that offered deep fried sandwiches.

Was never a big fan of this place, it was amazing how fast business dropped off back in Tallahassee.
Yeah, a couple of times I ordered that Monte Cristo thinking it sounded great, both times I felt like I was gonna die half way through.
Old 07-29-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Hopefully Shenaniganz doesn't receive the same treatment.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ok85BmPyl_I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ok85BmPyl_I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-29-08, 04:29 PM

The Turkey O'Toole and Monte Cristo were the only good things about Bennigans.

I got food poisoning from there a few months ago, and swore I wouldn't go back ever again. This news just made that easier.

(Imagine puking up hot sauce for almost 24 hours, thanks to their buffalo chicken strips.. Ugh, I still have nightmares!)
Old 07-29-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bennigan's files for bankruptcy protection

Bennigan's files for bankruptcy protection
July 29, 2008 - 5:46pm

Bennigans and Steak & Ale signs are shown in Plymouth, Mich., Tuesday, July 29, 2008. Metromedia Restaurant Group chains Bennigan's and Steak & Ale have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection and will shut their doors. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya) By LAUREN SHEPHERD
AP Business Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Restaurant chains Bennigan's and Steak & Ale have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection and stores owned by its parent company will shut their doors.

The companies owned by privately held Metromedia Restaurant Group of Plano, Texas, filed for bankruptcy protection Tuesday in the Eastern District of Texas, less than two months after Metromedia said it was not preparing to do so. Metromedia Restaurant Group is a part of Metromedia Co., owned by billionaire John Kluge, that has interests in entertainment, radio stations and medical equipment.

In a Chapter 7 filing, a company seeks to liquidate its assets and shut down.

Locations owned by franchisees were not part of the bankruptcy filing and will not be shut down, said Larry Briski, president of the Bennigan's Franchise Operator Association.

"They will be open today, tomorrow and months and years to come," Briski said of the franchise locations.

The 138 domestic and international franchisee-owned restaurants are "open and fully operational," Bennigan's Franchising Co. LP and Steak & Ale Franchising Co. LP said in a statement.

Briski said there are about 150 company-owned Bennigan's restaurants.

Meanwhile, employees at what appeared to be a company-owned Bennigan's in Plano were greeted by a sign Tuesday on the front door reading "WE ARE CLOSED. THANK YOU." Next door, a Steak & Ale sat empty in a deserted parking lot but there was no sign posted.

A waiter named Steve, who wouldn't give his last name, said the staff got a phone call Tuesday morning telling them the restaurant was closing.

Neither Bennigan's nor the Metromedia Restaurant Group returned calls for comment. A lawyer listed in the filing, J. Michael Sutherland of Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal LLP, did not return a call.

The filing lists 38 separate entities that it classified as "debtors" but does not include a list of locations that are shutting down.

All restaurants have been struggling as consumers cut back on discretionary spending to better deal with high gas prices, the weak housing market and inflation. The hardest hit have been casual dining chains and bar and grill restaurants, which charge higher prices than fast food and other quick-service chains.

Bar and grill restaurants have also suffered from intense competition. Morningstar analyst John Owens said several chains expanded quickly, making it more difficult for customers to differentiate between them and forcing many companies to cut prices to lure diners.

"Bennigan's was the weakest of the major players," Owens said.

Meanwhile, commodity costs have soared, forcing chains to either raise menu prices or see profits plunge.

Credit has also been tight, making it difficult for companies to restructure their debt.

In June, Metromedia Restaurants said it was formulating a proposal to present to its lenders to restructure its debt, but said it was not preparing to file for bankruptcy.

In the filing, the company indicated that it has up to 49 creditors and owes less than $50,000. It said it will have no funds left after administrative expenses are paid to repay its creditors.

Jeffry Davis, a bankruptcy attorney at Mintz Levin in San Diego who is not involved in the filing, said he was surprised the company didn't file for Chapter 11 protection, which would have allowed it to reorganize and remain open, and instead filed to liquidate its assets.

"Typically, at that point, management sees no way to improve the business within a reasonable period of time to allow it to go forward," he said. "To me it's really indicative of the economy."

The news appeared to be a shock to most of the company's employees, but some may have had an inkling that the company was not doing well.

Steve, the Bennigan's waiter in Plano, said he recently went from making $30 on a good lunch shift to only $10.

"Business has been slow," said Steve, who said he relies on tips. "I went from making a lot of money on a shift to making very little.

By LAUREN SHEPHERD
AP Business Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Restaurant chains Bennigan's and Steak & Ale have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection and stores owned by its parent company will shut their doors.

The companies owned by privately held Metromedia Restaurant Group of Plano, Texas, filed for bankruptcy protection Tuesday in the Eastern District of Texas, less than two months after Metromedia said it was not preparing to do so. Metromedia Restaurant Group is a part of Metromedia Co., owned by billionaire John Kluge, that has interests in entertainment, radio stations and medical equipment.

In a Chapter 7 filing, a company seeks to liquidate its assets and shut down.

Locations owned by franchisees were not part of the bankruptcy filing and will not be shut down, said Larry Briski, president of the Bennigan's Franchise Operator Association.

"They will be open today, tomorrow and months and years to come," Briski said of the franchise locations.

The 138 domestic and international franchisee-owned restaurants are "open and fully operational," Bennigan's Franchising Co. LP and Steak & Ale Franchising Co. LP said in a statement.

Briski said there are about 150 company-owned Bennigan's restaurants.

Meanwhile, employees at what appeared to be a company-owned Bennigan's in Plano were greeted by a sign Tuesday on the front door reading "WE ARE CLOSED. THANK YOU." Next door, a Steak & Ale sat empty in a deserted parking lot but there was no sign posted.

A waiter named Steve, who wouldn't give his last name, said the staff got a phone call Tuesday morning telling them the restaurant was closing.

Neither Bennigan's nor the Metromedia Restaurant Group returned calls for comment. A lawyer listed in the filing, J. Michael Sutherland of Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal LLP, did not return a call.

The filing lists 38 separate entities that it classified as "debtors" but does not include a list of locations that are shutting down.

All restaurants have been struggling as consumers cut back on discretionary spending to better deal with high gas prices, the weak housing market and inflation. The hardest hit have been casual dining chains and bar and grill restaurants, which charge higher prices than fast food and other quick-service chains.

Bar and grill restaurants have also suffered from intense competition. Morningstar analyst John Owens said several chains expanded quickly, making it more difficult for customers to differentiate between them and forcing many companies to cut prices to lure diners.

"Bennigan's was the weakest of the major players," Owens said.

Meanwhile, commodity costs have soared, forcing chains to either raise menu prices or see profits plunge.

Credit has also been tight, making it difficult for companies to restructure their debt.

In June, Metromedia Restaurants said it was formulating a proposal to present to its lenders to restructure its debt, but said it was not preparing to file for bankruptcy.

In the filing, the company indicated that it has up to 49 creditors and owes less than $50,000. It said it will have no funds left after administrative expenses are paid to repay its creditors.

Jeffry Davis, a bankruptcy attorney at Mintz Levin in San Diego who is not involved in the filing, said he was surprised the company didn't file for Chapter 11 protection, which would have allowed it to reorganize and remain open, and instead filed to liquidate its assets.

"Typically, at that point, management sees no way to improve the business within a reasonable period of time to allow it to go forward," he said. "To me it's really indicative of the economy."

The news appeared to be a shock to most of the company's employees, but some may have had an inkling that the company was not doing well.

Steve, the Bennigan's waiter in Plano, said he recently went from making $30 on a good lunch shift to only $10.

"Business has been slow," said Steve, who said he relies on tips. "I went from making a lot of money on a shift to making very little.

I used to eat at Bennigan's alot until the local one shut down about 2 1/2 years ago. The mall also had a Pizzeria Uno and that closed in early Janury 2008. I wonder if that will be next. The mall also had an American Cafe that closed in early 2007. I do not know if any still exist.

Sure did like the Turkey O'Toole when it was made right.

Old 07-29-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crap Steak and Ale too! I love Steak and ale and went there yesterday actually for my birthday, although I noticed the menu selection seemed slim compared to last time. Anyone find a list of the franchise locations that will stay open. My area still has a franchise Ground Round, and that company went down years ago.
Bennigan's I can do without, however my friends and I occasionally had challenges to see who could actually finish and entire Monte Cristo in one sitting. That is one hell of a sandwhich
Old 07-29-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My local Bennigan's is staying open, which makes me happy. Love the Monte Cristo and they have cheap Ziegen-Bock on tap.
Old 07-29-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Officer Cartman
The Turkey O'Toole and Monte Cristo were the only good things about Bennigans.
But they made up for all other failings. They used to also have a Ruben on pretzel bread as well. I always had a tough time deciding between those. Not much else there was good (I'm not sure if I've EVER ordered anything else), but I went about twice a year for my fix.

I have never found a better Monte Cristo so that makes me sad. Does anyone know anyplace that makes them like that now?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.