Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Car stereo question

Old 07-25-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Car stereo question

Any car audiophiles out there?

I have a 2002 SUV that has a good factory stereo. It has controls on the steering wheel and sounds decent for what it is. However, it does not play mp3 cds -and- I would like a more powerful and richer sound. I am tossing around the idea of upgrading the speakers with a couple of amps thrown in to improve the sound. What are my options for playing a burned mp3 disc? I would consider upgrading the stereo but I don't think any aftermarket stereo would be compatible with the steering wheel controls which I love. I could go the ipod route but don't want the clutter and have had bad luck with transmitters (our portable dvd player uses a transmitter and often gets poor reception in certain areas of the city. Anyway, I really want to throw a mp3 cd into something and play it without having to mess with a portable mp3 player. Any ideas?
Old 07-25-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
There are plenty of aftermarket stereos (now) that play MP3's on the cheap. And believe it or not, a lot will work with the steering wheel controls. You can upgrade those too and I think they are also cheap.

Only problem with MP3 in the car stereo is, a lot have trouble with high bit rates. Anything over 192kpbs and it may sound choppy. My Sony has trouble with them, not sure about the others, but friends have complained.
Old 07-25-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Take a look at Crutchfield. You can probably find a steering wheel audio adapter. Ditch the factory stereo, get a pair of good coaxials first and then if that's not enough for you look into the amps and amp/sub. Some cars do just fine with better speakers and a better headunit depending on what you're looking for.