Reload this Page >

Weird Food Habits?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Weird Food Habits?

Old 07-13-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Food Habits?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm a relatively new Otter, and I'm sure there are new lurkers here, so I'm gonna give it a try!

What do you consider your weird eating habits and likes? or others that you have seen.

My husband makes grilled cheese with mayo. Yuck.

I like my salads dry with no dressing at all. That always gives people pause and waitresses pushiing salad dressing down my throat.

I like ketchup on my deli roastbeef, and turkey sandwiches.
I like potato chips in my deli sandwiches, and in my tuna sandwiches. Also like pretzels in my tuna sandwiches.

Are those weird?
Old 07-13-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Treesa thinks it's weird, but Hot Pinto Beans swirled in Mayonnaise!

...with some bread on the side, it's Ummm...Ummm...GOOD!

-Pablito the Tres

Last edited by The Edit King; 07-13-08 at 12:21 PM. Reason: To air out the post.
Old 07-13-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No matter what fast food place I eat at, I always finish my fries before moving onto my sandwich, chicken nuggets, etc.

I will also refuse to eat a cheeseburger. Never liked them, never will. I won't even accept a hamburger with the cheese taken off.
Old 07-13-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Friends always give me a hard time because I use a fork to eat pizza and hot dogs.
Old 07-13-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm right handed and I always keep the fork in my right hand. None of the switching back and forth nonsense when using my knife to cut food.

If I'm at a buffet style pizza place and there's a salad bar, then bacon bits go on my pizza.
Old 07-13-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know if these are strange or not, but I've gotten some curious looks over the years with these two staples of my childhood:
  • Cream cheese and raisin bread sandwiches
  • Cottage cheese and applesauce
One I stole from a former coworker:
  • Canned tuna (eaten directly from the can) with yellow mustard squirted on top
Those aren't "habits", though. They're recipes!

If I have any eating habit it's a refusal to fight with a food. Anything unwieldy is attacked with a knife before taking the first bite. Spaghetti undergoes a grid-like assault ensuring no strand of pasta measures over an inch in length. Y'know, unless I'm in public and must appear civilized.

I guess another habit is that anything I order from a "Mexican" restaurant eventually just becomes nacho dip. I make an effort to eat the individual items at the beginning, but sooner or later, it's just a jumbled mess of tastiness on the plate awaiting the dip of a chip.

das
Old 07-13-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When i was a kid i used to put Doritos in Peanut Butter/Butter sandwiches. Actually, i still do.
Old 07-13-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I'm right handed and I always keep the fork in my right hand. None of the switching back and forth nonsense when using my knife to cut food.
You eat like a European. My friends in England used to make fun of me because of my American table manners (switching the knife and fork back and forth to and from my dominant hand).
Old 07-13-08, 01:41 PM

I haven't eaten this in years, but when I was a kid I used to love eating raw potatoes. Peeled and sprinkled with salt. When I tell people this, they think it is really weird.

I also love watermelon with salt, which some people find odd.
Old 07-13-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put ketchup and pepper on anything meaty. Chicken, beef, etc.

I can't eat Chinese food if its not drenched in soy sauce. Don't know why.

And I can't eat pizza unless I have bleu cheese or ranch dressing to put on it.
Old 07-13-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard of people putting butter on their Pop Tarts...what the hell is that?
And my mom had a friend that put grape jelly on top of her scrambled eggs again

As for me, none really come to mind...I guess I do put hot sauce on a lot of my food that doesn't need it.
Old 07-13-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
No matter what fast food place I eat at, I always finish my fries before moving onto my sandwich, chicken nuggets, etc.
I do that.
Old 07-13-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I prefer Italian salad dressing on top of my steak instead of sauces. I'm also the sort of that puts chips or fries into my sandwiches and burgers.

Whenever I have mashed potatoes, I can't resist making Devils Tower with my fork, sometimes to see if anyone catches the joke.
Old 07-13-08, 02:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
I like potato chips in my deli sandwiches, and in my tuna sandwiches. Also like pretzels in my tuna sandwiches.
I love putting crunchy chips on my sandwiches, usually going for cheetos or doritos.
Originally Posted by Da Thrilla
I've heard of people putting butter on their Pop Tarts...what the hell is that?
Butter sounds nasty, but peanut butter is great on some pop tarts.
Old 07-13-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts
I like to eat frozen french fries and tater tots. I mean, cold and frozen, right out of the freezer.

I've done it since I was a kid, and it freaked out my mother. Now, as an adult, it disturbs my girlfriend as well.
Old 07-13-08, 02:54 PM
Suspended

I do a partial fast [no calories, only tap water] for a full day once a week.

E
Old 07-13-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone thinks I am weird about my food. I am an extremely picky eater so I tend to eat everything plain. For example, hamburgers I eat with only ketchup or occasionally bbq sauce.

I also have this weird thing when I go to new restaurants the first thing I order usually is a hamburger. My theory is if they can't cook a hamburger right I don't want to try anything else they have. Also how they season the hamburger tells me how the other items on the menu are seasoned.
Old 07-13-08, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
I like ketchup on my . . . turkey sandwiches. I like potato chips in my deli sandwiches

Originally Posted by Eplicon
I prefer Italian salad dressing on top of my steak instead of sauces.
I like Italian dressing on sandwiches and fries.

I also like peanut butter and fried egg sandwiches. The nerdy kid from Charles in Charge gave me the idea.
Old 07-13-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 237 Likes on 176 Posts
Some of these are more weird food combos rather habits.

I don't have any weird habits but I know someone who doesn't like different foods to touch each other.

I had a g/f who, if we were sharing a soda w/straw, would not allow me to drink unless my mouth was completely empty. I'd have to show her all the food was gone before I could take a sip.
Old 07-13-08, 03:55 PM
Suspended

sometimes for a snack i will have a stick of butter

also i tend to yell at meatloaf

but that's mainly b/c of the incessant meatloaf voice inside my brain that tells me to start fires

meatloaf is evil.... deliciously evil.
Old 07-13-08, 04:11 PM

I like to put peanut butter in my frosted flakes.

some people think im wierd for putting mayo on a hot dog.. I think its wierd that they dont.
Old 07-13-08, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I'm right-handed and don't like switching back and forth, but I put the fork in my left hand and keep the knife in my right if I'm going to be using the knife a lot.

And mayo on grilled cheese is tasty.
Old 07-13-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Where do I start?

None of my food can touch. It all has to be in a separate dish. For example, if my wife cooks grilled chicken / corn / mashed potatoes / etc. Each one of those will be on a separate dish with a separate fork / spoon. I never mix the foods and if they touch, I will throw it away. If I eat say lasagna or spaghetti and we have garlic bread, it also gets a separate dish.

I eat all of one food before I move to the next. I never take a bite and then eat from another dish. Finish one and move on.

I do not sandwiches. If I order a hamburger, I get it plain, no bun and eat it with a fork. I simply don't like the fact that bread gets soggy . The texture disgusts me.

I use a fork and knife for pizza. Or any food actually. I never pick something up with my hands if it can be avoided.

I don't drink or share food with anyone, not even my wife. If I do share a drink with my daughters, I require a straw and I make sure there is nothing in their mouth. Often times I will even wipe the straw off before I use it again.

I will not kiss my wife after a dinner. At least until I forget. And if she ate something I can't stand or wouldn't eat myself, I won't kiss her until she brushes her teeth.

Up until I was in my late teens I would not eat in large crowds.

I do not eat other peoples cooking. For example, the only people in my family I have ever ate food by are my parents. I did not eat my grandparents or any other relatives. I have a phobia that I'll eat it , hate it and not know what to say. So, since I was a small child I just don't do it. The same applies to any extended family or in-laws. In fact, when I first started dating my wife I refused to let her cook for me. It wasn't until we had a fight over it that I gave in and let her cook for me. Turns out she was a great cook, but I don't want to risk it ever again.

I like routine. I don't like to try new things. I like to have certain dinners on certain nights. Avoid any kind of surprise.

If I'm at home, twenty minutes after I eat, I go to the bathroom. I don't know why. I just do. I don't do it when I eat out, but it never fails, at home I will. I think it's because I'm comfortable at home. I won't use a public restroom. In fact, last night we went out for dinner, I ate and twenty minutes later I had to use the bathroom, so we drove all the way home, let me use the bathroom and then we went back out and went to the movies.

Last edited by LivingINClip; 07-13-08 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-13-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Where do I start?

None of my food can touch. It all has to be in a separate dish. For example, if my wife cooks grilled chicken / corn / mashed potatoes / etc. Each one of those will be on a separate dish with a separate fork / spoon. I never mix the foods and if they touch, I will throw it away. If I eat say lasagna or spaghetti and we have garlic bread, it also gets a separate dish.

I eat all of one food before I move to the next. I never take a bite and then eat from another dish. Finish one and move on.

I do not sandwiches. If I order a hamburger, I get it plain, no bun and eat it with a fork. I simply don't like the fact that bread gets soggy . The texture disgusts me.

I use a fork and knife for pizza. Or any food actually. I never pick something up with my hands if it can be avoided.

I don't drink or share food with anyone, not even my wife. If I do share a drink with my daughters, I require a straw and I make sure there is nothing in their mouth. Often times I will even wipe the straw off before I use it again.

I will not kiss my wife after a dinner. At least until I forget. And if she ate something I can't stand or wouldn't eat myself, I won't kiss her until she brushes her teeth.

Up until I was in my late teens I would not eat in large crowds.

I do not eat other peoples cooking. For example, the only people in my family I have ever ate food by are my parents. I did not eat my grandparents or any other relatives. I have a phobia that I'll eat it , hate it and not know what to say. So, since I was a small child I just don't do it. The same applies to any extended family or in-laws. In fact, when I first started dating my wife I refused to let her cook for me. It wasn't until we had a fight over it that I gave in and let her cook for me. Turns out she was a great cook, but I don't want to risk it ever again.

I like routine. I don't like to try new things. I like to have certain dinners on certain nights. Avoid any kind of surprise.

If I'm at home, twenty minutes after I eat, I go to the bathroom. I don't know why. I just do. I don't do it when I eat out, but it never fails, at home I will. I think it's because I'm comfortable at home. I won't use a public restroom. In fact, last night we went out for dinner, I ate and twenty minutes later I had to use the bathroom, so we drove all the way home, let me use the bathroom and then we went back out and went to the movies.
For you, my friend...
Old 07-13-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
None of my food can touch. If I eat say lasagna or spaghetti and we have garlic bread, it also gets a separate dish.
In lasagna and spaghetti, the foods are already touching each other! Let that rattle around the noggin for a while.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.